Treasures Of Florence And Tuscany
Unearth unique traditions, savour sensational cuisine and admire incredible landscapes on this wonderful, relaxing tour. You'll be based in the tranquil spa town of Montecatini Terme and will enjoy numerous memorable trips to the region's best monuments, from the iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa to the birthplace of Leonardo da Vinci. Wine lovers will get to savour crisp Chianti wines, while those wanting to relax can amble around Montecatini Terme at their leisure. Keen to see even more of idyllic Tuscany? Take advantage of our optional excursions, which include a trip to medieval Siena.
Unearth unique traditions and sensational cuisine on this relaxing tour, taking in iconic monuments and art-filled cities to the stunning vineyards of Chianti.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return direct flights from Heathrow with British Airways or Gatwick with easyJet
- 7 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 15 meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 light lunch, 7 dinners and welcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers, other transportation & porterage
- Audio Guide
- Visits to the Leaning Tower of Pisa and Leonardo Da Vinci museum
- Tour of medieval Lucca
- Local food and wine tasting at Verrazzano castle
- Trip to the 'art city' of Florence
- Night at the Montecatini Opera Festival (subject to timetable and weather)
- Day 1 UK - Pisa
- Your journey begins! You'll fly into Pisa and be transferred straight to your hotel in the peaceful spa town of Montecatini Terme.
- Day 2 Pisa - Vinci
- Begin your Tuscany adventure in earnest with an exciting morning excursion to the coastal city of Pisa. Awe at the aptly named Leaning Tower of Pisa that sits within the Field of Miracles, right next door to the city's impressive marble cathedral and 700-year-old Pisa Baptistery.
After lunch, we'll head to the town of Vinci, famous (you've guessed it) for being the birthplace of legendary Italian artist and sculptor Leonardo Da Vinci. Known for his hugely influential works like 'The Last Supper' and the 'Mona Lisa', a Local Guide will teach us all about the artist's life during the Renaissance era.
We'll also stop off at the Museum of Leonardo da Vinci to see some of his early inventions.
- Day 3 Montecatini - at Leisure
- Spend the day soaking up the delights of Montecatini Terme, whether that's with a visit to one of the town's thermal spas for a pampering treatment or a funicular railway ride up to the medieval village of Montecatini Alto to admire fabulous panoramic views. You'll also have a chance to join an optional excursion that begins with a trip to the beautiful hilltop town of Montalcino. It's famed for producing Brunello di Montalcino, a wine made primarily from subtly spicy Sangiovese grapes. After meandering around the town's cobbled lanes, we'll move on to Siena to discover various medieval allures, including its perfectly preserved city centre that's home to the spectacular fan-shaped Piazza del Campo. We're definitely fans!
- Day 4 Florence
Today we discover irresistible Florence. The capital of Tuscany and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it's also known as Italy's 'art city' thanks to dozens of stunning structures and galleries packed with masterpieces from the Renaissance period. Tick off its top sights, from the medieval Ponte Vecchio lined with jewellery shops to the magnificent Duomo with its terracotta tiled dome, on a tour hosted by a Local Guide.
Florence is also a great city to indulge in a spot of shopping, whether that's designer stores or local markets. Head to Mercato Nuovo for unique souvenirs and to see the bronze statue of Il Porcellino (the Boar) that's said to give you good luck if you rub its snout and place a coin in its mouth
- Day 5 Montecatini - at Leisure
- You'll have the flexibility of indulging in another relaxing spa day in Montecatini Terme or exploring its tempting range of local restaurants and boutique shops. Alternatively, why not pack in even more Tuscan treasures with our full-day optional tour?Beginning in hilltop San Gimignano, we'll spend the morning admiring gorgeous views and exploring the town's 14 medieval towers. Next up is a brief stop at the charming hamlet of Abbadia a Isola and its peaceful 10th century abbey before we head to Monteriggioni for a Local Guided history tour of its beautifully intact medieval walls and buildings. Try on replica armour and get to grips with historic weaponry at the Museum of Medieval Armour and Weapons before tucking into a medieval feast at a local restaurant.
- Day 6 Chianti
- Wine aficionados will particularly look forward to today's trip to Chianti, one of the country's most prestigious wine regions. We tavel to Greve, where you'll find the idyllic Castello di Verrazzano that was the former family home of Giovanni da Verrazzano, the Italian explorer who discovered Hudson Bay in New York in 1524. The castle in the heart of the Chianti Classico region has a long history of winemaking, dating right back to the 10th century. It's made an awful lot of wine! Take a tour of its 16th century underground wine cellars to see where the wine is traditionally aged in huge oak barrels and learn how the grapes are still harvested by hand. It'll then be time for a tasting and a light lunch of complementary local specialty dishes on the castle's atmospheric terrace which overlooks miles of lush Tuscan vineyards.
- Day 7 Lucca
Today, you'll spend time in one of Tuscany's most beautiful towns - Lucca. It lies just west of Montecatini Terme and is bursting with some of the finest examples of Italian medieval and Renaissance architecture. As well as being the birthplace of composer Puccini, Lucca is also home to the Volto Santo relic – a sacred wooden sculpture of Christ thought to date back to 742 AD – which is kept in the city's stunning Romanesque St Martin Cathedral.Later, for your final evening in Tuscany, you'll get to enjoy an open-air performance at the renowned Montecatini Opera Festival.
- Day 8 Pisa - UK
- Todaywe'll transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Grand Hotel Tettuccio
- Located in downtown Montecini Terme just a short distance from the spa centre. Hotels facilities include restaurant, dining room, music room and tea room. Bedrooms have private facilities.
- Tour of medieval Montalcino and Siena
- Visit to San Gimignano, Monteriggioni and Abbadia a Isola
The above optional excursions can be pre-booked as a package from just £209 per person.
Back to top