The Best Of Mexico
Uncover the cultures, traditions and treasures of the Aztec and Mayan civilisations on this Mexican adventure as you journey from Mexico City to Cancun. Your discoveries in the capital include the spectacular National Palace, before your tour continues north to Teotihuacan, where the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon and the Street of the Dead are just two magnificent examples of pre-Aztec architecture. Immerse yourself in Oaxaca's colonial past and view the extraordinary 2,000-year-old Tule Tree before arrival in San Cristobal, a delightful market town where the locals still wear traditional Mayan dress. Make a stop at the stunning Agua Azul waterfalls, then discover the ancient site of Palenque, set in a stunning rainforest location. A visit to the Mayan ruins at Uxmal precede an undoubted highlight of your tour, an exploration of Chichén Itzá – an archaeological wonder which is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Before your journey home, spend the night in the resort of Cancun, on the vibrant Caribbean coast.
Immerse yourself in ancient civilisations as you uncover Aztec and Mayan treasures, cultures and traditions on this Mexican odyssey.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 12 nights in 3 and 4-star hotels plus 1 night in flight
- 13 Meals : 12 breakfasts , 1 dinner
- All excursions included
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Tour of Mexico City
- Teotihuacan's pre-Aztec architecture
- Colonial towns of Oaxaca and Puebla
- See the ancient ruins at Monte Alban
- Archaeological site of Mitla and the Tule Tree
- Cruise through the Sumidero Canyon
- Visit the market town of San Cristobal
- The ancient site of Palenque
- Aguas Azules Waterfalls
- Discover Mayan ruins at Uxmal
- Visit UNESCO-listed Chichén Itzá
- Day 1 UK/Mexico City
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Mexico City. On arrival you will transfer to your hotel for a three-night stay.
- Day 2 Mexico City
- Mexico's capital is one of the most beautiful cities in the Americas, and you'll discover this for yourself on a full day of exploration. We'll start at the vast Zocalo, the city's main square, and move on to the spectacular National Palace. A drive then takes us down the Paseo de la Reforma to Chapultepec Park, where the grand castle of the ill-fated Emperor Maximilian is located. We'll spend a fascinating afternoon exploring the National Museum of Anthropology, which tells the story of Mexico from the Mayan civilisation to the Spanish conquest.
- Day 3 Mexico City
- We're heading north today to Teotihuacan to view some magnificent examples of pre-Aztec architecture. You'll hear all about the legends behind the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon, the Street of the Dead and the Temple of Quetzalcoatl on a guided walk. You can then set your own pace as you explore independently. On our way back to the hotel we'll also stop to admire the Temple of Butterflies.
- Day 4 Oaxaca
- As we journey to Oaxaca today we're going to stop en route in the colonial city of Puebla, whose wonderfully preserved centre is home to 70 churches.
- Day 5 Oaxaca
- Oaxaca is a diverse city that was founded in 1521. It is home to ancient ruins, noble churches, colonial architecture and a vibrant mix of cultures. This morning you will visit the amazing archaeological ruins at Monte Alban, the ancient capital of the Zapotec people. This incredible site stands on a flattened hilltop, 400 metres above the surrounding valley and offers a fascinating insight into the culture of the Mesoamerican people. This afternoon there is a walking tour of Oaxaca's main sights, including the Baroque Santo Domingo Church. Then you will visit the famous Benito Juarez Market, packed with delights such as clothes, flowers, meat and cheese. Then you will travel on to the historic centre of the city, with its selection of colonial buildings, cathedral and central squares.
- Day 6 Salina Cruz
- There's a fascinating journey in store for you today as you head to Salina Cruz. On the way we'll stop to see the Tule Tree, one of the world's most extraordinary natural sights, which sits in the grounds of a church. This gigantic tree, which is said to be about 2,000 years old, stands 130ft high, has a diameter of 170ft and weighs 509 tons. A photograph here is a must! We're also going to stop at the archaeological site at Mitla, a former Zapotec ceremonial centre whose name translates as 'Place of the Dead'. You'll see buildings here decorated with incredible stone mosaics and the ruins of four palaces from the Mixtec and Zapotec civilisations.
- Day 7 San Cristobal
- Your new base is San Cristobal, which you'll discover during a two-night stay. Before arrival, there's a treat in store – a cruise through the stunning Sumidero Canyon. With cliffs towering up to 2,500ft and a wealth of wildlife from egrets and kingfishers to the occasional crocodile, you won't know where to look first.
- Day 8 San Cristobal
- Take in the sights of this delightful market town on your morning tour. As you wander its streets lined with colourful colonial architecture you'll see many locals dressed in traditional Mayan outfits. We'll head to two Indian communities here, San Juan Chamula and Zinacantan, before you get to explore your own way. Perhaps pick up a souvenir in one of the many artisan shops you'll come across.
- Day 9 Palenque
- We're heading to Palenque today, but not before the chance to see another of Mexico's amazing natural wonders. The Agua Azul waterfalls are quite simply breathtaking, with a cascade of turquoise waters thundering to a depth of 100ft.
- Day 10 Palenque
- One of the most beautiful Mayan ceremonial complexes is your destination today. Set in a rainforest clearance, the ancient site of Palenque guards many secrets still unearthed by archaeologists. You will see the 20ft high Temple of the Inscriptions, home to one of the only crypts inside a pyramid in Mexico. After leaving Palenque, you will continue to Campeche for an overnight stay.
- Day 11 Mérida
- This morning you travel to the ancient city of Mérida, home to the cultural centre of the Mayan people, for an overnight stay. En route, you will pay a visit to the historical Mayan ruins at Uxmal, considered to be one of the most beautiful pre-Hispanic sites on the American continent. Here you will enjoy spectacular views over the Nunnery Quadrangle, the Governor's Palace and the Pyramid of the Magician. Later today admire the colonial and historic highlights of Mérida on your guided tour.
- Day 12 Cancun
- You've already seen many incredible archaeological sites on your holiday, but today's highlight is the icing on the cake. Chichén Itzá, crowned one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in 2007, is one of the most visited sites in Mexico, and you're heading here today. Across this dazzling ancient city you'll discover stepped pyramids, temples, columned arcades and many other stone structures which were sacred to the Maya. The most recognised is the Pyramid of Kukulkan with its 365 steps – one for every day of the year. After this fantastic day out we're going to spend the night in the Caribbean coastal resort of Cancun, on the Riviera Maya.
- Day 13 Cancun/UK
- We'll transfer you to the airport today for your flight to the UK via Mexico City.
- Day 14 UK
- Today you'll arrive in the UK.Please note that the itinerary for 2020 will differ slightly from that shown here, on day 11 we have added an additional included dinner in Merida.
- Galeria Plaza Reforma
- Located close to sights of Mexico City, you will stay at the 4-star Galeria Plaza. Hotel facilities include restaurant, fitness centre and outdoor pool. Bedrooms have private facilities.
- Hotel Victoria
- Victoria Hotel is located on the top of the Fortin Hill in the middle of a 70,000 sq meters garden. It offers a breathtaking view of the ancient city centre. Hotel facilities include: restaurant, lobby bar, meeting and conventions rooms, swimming pool, bar and currency exchange.
- One Salina Cruz
- Hotel One is a relatively basic property, however it is located ideally for your tour, allowing exploration of Oaxaca whilst reducing your onward journey time to San Cristobal. The hotel is close to a shopping centre. Rooms are modern and have en suite facilities.
- Casa Mexicana - San Cristobal de las Casas
- Mision Palenque
- Mision Palenque is situated within walking distance to the main road access to the city and walking distance of the centre. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar, pool, spa and private bedroom facilities.
- Hotel Plaza Campeche
- The Hotel Plaza Campeche is located in the historic centre of the city and port of Campeche. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar and private bedroom facilities.
- Hyatt Regency Merida
- This luxury hotel is located in the centre of Merida. The hotel boasts 5 fantastic restaurants, including the Peregrina Bistro which serves Yucatecan and international specialties. Room facilities include; robes, marble bath, hairdryer, minibar and individual air conditioning control.
- Emporio Cancun