The Best Of Mexico
See the best of Mexico, from millennia-old Mayan treasures and newly-crowned ‘world wonder’ Chichén Itzá to tropical rainforests and world-class canyons. Top that off with a jaunt to the Caribbean coast, where you can choose to stay longer. So why not Immerse yourself in ancient civilisations and uncover Aztec and Mayan treasures, cultures and traditions on this Mexican odyssey.
Immerse yourself in ancient civilisations as you uncover Aztec and Mayan treasures, cultures and traditions on this Mexican odyssey.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 12 nights in 3 and 4-star hotels plus 1 night in flight
- 12 breakfasts
- All excursions included
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Tour of Mexico City
- Teotihuacan's pre-Aztec architecture
- Colonial towns of Oaxaca and Puebla
- See the ancient ruins at Monte Alban
- Archaeological site of Mitla and the Tule Tree
- Cruise through the Sumidero Canyon
- Visit the market town of San Cristobal
- The ancient site of Palenque
- Aguas Azules Waterfalls
- Discover Mayan ruins at Uxmal
- Visit UNESCO-listed Chichén Itzá
- DAY 1 UK/Mexico City
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Mexico City. On arrival you will transfer to your hotel for a three-night stay.
- DAY 2 Mexico City
- Mexico City is one of the most beautiful cities in the Americas. You will embark on an included sightseeing tour today, visiting the vast Zocalo, the city's main square and the spectacular National Palace. From there you will enjoy a drive down the Paseo de la Reforma to Chapultepec Park, site of the ill-fated Emperor Maximilian's castle. In the afternoon you will visit the world-famous National Anthropological Museum.
- DAY 3 Mexico City
- Depart for your drive north to Teotihuacan to see the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon, the Street of the Dead and the Temple of Quetzalcoatl – all magnificent examples of pre-Aztec architecture. You will enjoy an included guided walk around the site and free time to make your own discoveries. You will also explore the Temple of Butterflies before returning to your hotel.
- DAY 4 Oaxaca
- After breakfast you will depart for the colonial city of Oaxaca for a two-night stay. En route you will enjoy a tour of the colonial city of Puebla.
- DAY 5 Oaxaca
- Oaxaca is a diverse city that was founded in 1521. It is home to ancient ruins, noble churches, colonial architecture and a vibrant mix of cultures. This morning you will visit the amazing archaeological ruins at Monte Alban, the ancient capital of the Zapotec people. This incredible site stands on a flattened hilltop, 400 metres above the surrounding valley and offers a fascinating insight into the culture of the Mesoamerican people. This afternoon there is a walking tour of Oaxaca's main sights, including the Baroque Santo Domingo Church. Then you will visit the famous Benito Juarez Market, packed with delights such as clothes, flowers, meat and cheese. Then you will travel on to the historic centre of the city, with its selection of colonial buildings, cathedral and central squares.
- DAY 6 Salina Cruz
- You leave Oaxaca this morning to experience a fascinating journey to Salina Cruz where you are to stay overnight. You will visit the Tule Tree, one of the world's most extraordinary natural sites. This unique and gigantic tree is 130ft high, over 170ft in diameter, weighs 509 tons and is approximately 2,000 years old. Your next stop is the archaeological site at Mitla, a former Zapotec ceremonial centre whose name translates as 'Place of the Dead'.Here, the buildings are decorated with incredible stone mosaics. You will also see the ruins of four magnificent palaces from the Mixtec and Zapotec civilisations.
- DAY 7 San Cristobal
- You will leave Tehuantepec after breakfast for the journey to San Cristobal, where you will stay for the next two nights, enjoying a spectacular boat journey through the Sumidero Canyon en route. With cliffs towering up to 2,500ft above you, this canyon was created by the Rio Grijalva and boasts dramatic scenery and magnificent wildlife.
- DAY 8 San Cristobal
- The former capital of the state of Chiapas, San Cristobal is a delightful market town. As you wander around the colonial streets and whitewashed alleyways you will see local Mayan people dressed in their traditional colourful outfits. On our included tour this morning you will visit Indian communities at San Juan Chamula and Zinacantan. Later today there will be free time when you can enjoy a little shopping or browsing in the many artisan shops.
- DAY 9 Palenque
- Today you visit the stunning Agua Azul waterfalls. The turquoise waters thunder into pools 100ft below. You will continue to Palenque for an overnight stay.
- DAY 10 Palenque
- One of the most beautiful Mayan ceremonial complexes is your destination today. Set in a rainforest clearance, the ancient site of Palenque guards many secrets still unearthed by archaeologists. You will see the 20ft high Temple of the Inscriptions, home to one of the only crypts inside a pyramid in Mexico. After leaving Palenque, you will continue to Campeche for an overnight stay.
- DAY 11 Mérida
- This morning you travel to the ancient city of Mérida, home to the cultural centre of the Mayan people, for an overnight stay. En route, you will pay a visit to the historical Mayan ruins at Uxmal, considered to be one of the most beautiful pre-Hispanic sites on the American continent. Here you will enjoy spectacular views over the Nunnery Quadrangle, the Governor's Palace and the Pyramid of the Magician. Later today admire the colonial and historic highlights of Mérida on your guided tour.
- DAY 12 Cancun
- Today, you will join an included sightseeing tour of the archaeological wonders of Chichén Itzá, one of the most visited sites in Mexico. In 2007 Chichén Itzá was crowned as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in a global online vote. Across the site, many fine, stone buildings remain including the Pyramid of Kukulkan with its 365 steps – one for every day of the year, the Temple of the Warriors and the Ball Court. Your final night will be spent at the Caribbean coastal resort of Cancun on the Riviera Maya.
- DAY 13 Cancun/UK
- Transfer to the airport for your flight to Mexico City and then on to the UK.
- DAY 14 UK
- Today you'll arrive in the UK.
- Galeria Plaza Reforma
- Located close to sights of Mexico City, you will stay at the 4-star Galeria Plaza. Hotel facilities include restaurant, fitness centre and outdoor pool. Bedrooms have private facilities.
- Hotel Victoria
- Victoria Hotel is located on the top of the Fortin Hill in the middle of a 70,000 sq meters garden. It offers a breathtaking view of the ancient city centre. Hotel facilities include: restaurant, lobby bar, meeting and conventions rooms, swimming pool, bar and currency exchange.
- One Salina Cruz
- Hotel One is a relatively basic property, however it is located ideally for your tour, allowing exploration of Oaxaca whilst reducing your onward journey time to San Cristobal. The hotel is close to a shopping centre. Rooms are modern and have en suite facilities.
- Casa Mexicana - San Cristobal de las Casas
- Mision Palenque
- Mision Palenque is situated within walking distance to the main road access to the city and walking distance of the centre. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar, pool, spa and private bedroom facilities.
- Hotel Plaza Campeche
- The Hotel Plaza Campeche is located in the historic centre of the city and port of Campeche. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar and private bedroom facilities.
- Hyatt Regency Merida
- This luxury hotel is located in the centre of Merida. The hotel boasts 5 fantastic restaurants, including the Peregrina Bistro which serves Yucatecan and international specialties. Room facilities include; robes, marble bath, hairdryer, minibar and individual air conditioning control.
- InterContinental Presidente Cancun Resort
- Located in Cancun 8 miles from El Meco, Mayan ruins and 7 miles from the resort. Hotel features include a private white sand Caribbean beach, massage services, 5 restaurants and bars, 2 outdoor pools and a rental car desk. Bedrooms facilities include flat screen cable TV, IPod docking station, air conditioning and Wi-Fi access.