Rockies, Rail And An Alaskan Cruise
- Duration: 15 days
- Board Basis: Mixed Board
- Tour Ref: D2TTRAUCRMA
- Travel Type: Air
- Excursions: 3
|The ultimate way to discover the west, this holiday includes both a ride on the Rocky Mountaineer and an Alaskan cruise.|
The ultimate way to discover the west, this holiday includes both a ride on the Rocky Mountaineer and an Alaskan cruise.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Air Canada
- 6 nights room only in hotels of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- 7 nights full board on board Holland America Line's Volendam
- 4 meals: 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches on board Rocky Mountaineer
- Travelsphere Tour Manager (pre-cruise)
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Sightseeing tour of Banff
- Lake Louise
- Two-day journey on the Rocky Mountaineer
- A 7-night cruise through Alaska
- Vancouver city tour
- Day 1 UK/Banff
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Calgary today. On arrival, we will transfer you to the Rocky Mountains and your hotel in Banff. This will be our base for the next three nights.
- Day 2 Banff
- This morning we'll head out together to explore Banff. The views are bound to take your breath away, so be sure to remember your camera! During our tour we'll see the Hoodoos of Bow Valley – imposing spires of rock, carved by wind and water, and the fabulous Surprise Corner. Here, a stunning view of the famous Banff Springs Hotel suddenly opens up before you.
- Day 3 Lake Louise
- Nothing can prepare you for the beauty of Lake Louise - a glacial, jade-green lake surrounded on all sides by towering peaks. It's been described as one of Canada's most beautiful locations and you'll see it in all its glory on today's included excursion. If you wish, there will be plenty of time to take in the views from hiking trails along the shore.
- Day 4 Rocky Mountaineer
- Today's the day you'll step aboard the iconic Rocky Mountaineer train, you've an exciting two-day journey ahead. Sit back in your reclining seat, enjoy the commentary and relax as the scenic grandeur of the Rockies unfolds. Today's journey takes us through tunnels, over high mountain passes and along the South Thompson River to Kamloops. We'll stay in a hotel here overnight.
- Day 5 Rocky Mountaineer
- We'll climb back aboard the Rocky Mountaineer and continue our journey to Vancouver, following the course of the Thompson and then the Fraser River. On arrival in Vancouver we will transfer you to your hotel for a two-night stay.
- Day 6 Vancouver
- Surrounded by mountains, forests and islands, Vancouver is one of the most beautifully located cities in the world and you are free to do as you please here today. If you want to explore further afield, our optional tour to Victoria, on Vancouver Island, comes highly recommended. You'll travel by ferry to the capital of British Columbia and visit the famous Butchart Gardens, Parliament building and the impressive Empress Hotel.
- Day 7 Vancouver & Volendam
- Today we'll transfer you to Vancouver harbour and you'll board your cruise ship, Volendam. You'll have plenty of time to settle into you comfortable cabin and explore the ship, before setting sail on your seven-night cruise at 5pm.
- Day 8 The Inside Passage
- As your cruise through North America's most scenic coastal landscape begins, you'll want to spend time on deck gazing at the scenery and watching out for wildlife. You never know, you could be lucky enough to spot breaching whales, soaring eagles, inquisitive seals, and grizzly bears.
- Day 9 Juneau
- Early this afternoon we'll dock in the Alaskan capital, Juneau, where you can step ashore and make your own discoveries. The 13-mile long Mendenhall Glacier is definitely a worth a visit.
- Day 10 Skagway
- Today we arrive in Skagway, a lively relic of the 1898 Klondike Gold Rush. With its wooden sidewalks and turn-of-the-century buildings, you'll feel like you've stepped back in time.
- Day 11 Glacier Bay
- Get ready for one of the scenic highlights of your cruise as we head to Glacier Bay. You'll see enormous icebergs floating in the blue-green water, and if we're lucky, we might watch as a glacier 'calves', sending thousands of tons of ice thundering into the bay.
- Day 12 Ketchikan
- This afternoon our journey takes us to Ketchikan, a quaint town clinging to the mountainside. It's a lovely place to explore at your own pace, and maybe sample some fresh Alaskan salmon. Or, you could explore Totem Poles Park, the choice is entirely yours.
- Day 13 Cruising at sea
- It's your final day on board, so take every opportunity to appreciate the scenery as it unfurls before your very eyes. We'll cruise the Inside Passage back towards Vancouver and you'll have plenty of time to relax with new-found friends, reliving the wonderful moments you've shared.
- Day 14 Vancouver/UK
- Your cruise comes to an end as you disembark in Vancouver. A Local Guide will take you on a city tour and later we will transfer you to the airport for your return flight to the UK.
- Day 15 UK
- You'll arrive in the UK today.
- Mount Royal Hotel
- Perfectly situated downtown in the very heart of Banff and overlooking the mountains, this historic hotel
has been situated here since 1908. The hotel has been completely updated this winter inspired by the history of the hotel and the area.
Warm, relaxed rooms and suites benefit from a desk area, complimentary high speed Wi-Fi, mini-fridge, kettle and coffee machine, smart TV, hairdryer, safe and iron.
There are four dining options at the hotel including Tony Roma''s restaurant, a guest lounge and Toque Canadian Pub. Additionally the hotel boasts a library, and roof top lounge with outdoor hot tubs.
- Kamloops Hotel
- Your hotel in Kamloops this evening is arranged by Rocky Mountaineer and will be advised when you board the train.
- Holiday Inn & Suites Vancouver Downtown
- A 7-minute walk from shopping on Robson Street, this modern hotel is also a 10-minute walk from the Hornby Street Aquabus, which offers direct access to Granville Island. Hotel rooms come with flat-screen TVs and desks, plus minifridges and coffeemakers. The facility also offers a casual restaurant/lounge, an indoor heated pool and a 24-hour exercise room, plus a spa.
- MS Volendam
- You will cruise aboard Holland America’s ms Volendam a mid sized ship with a maximum guest capacity of 1432 passengers. Their ships are known for the artworks on board, and also for the generous personal space given in the suites and staterooms. The Volendam has a beautiful garden theme reflected in the artful floral motif throughout the ship, and huge vases of fresh floral arrangements. On board there is plenty to do with facilities including two swimming pools, fitness centre, basketball and volleyball courts, shopping, and the Greenhouse Spa and Salon where you can book a treatment in one of the relaxing rooms, or book a hair or nail appointment in the Salon. Additionally, learn about the amazing natural world with exclusive content from BBC Earth, through on board concerts, films and shows. At mealtimes the ship boasts five restaurants to choose from, there is The Dining Room for breakfast, lunch or your five course evening meal, offering elegant and sophisticated dining, from classic favourites to local dishes inspired by the region you are visiting. For a more casual meal, the Lido Market offers food from different themed stations, with a panoramic view of the sea, or enjoy a gourmet burger, hot dog, or lighter bite from the pool side – Dive In. You could choose to enjoy your evening meal at the luxurious Pinnacle Grill which serves dishes inspired by the Pacific, boutique local wines are available, as well as others from famous vineyards across the world. Alternatively try Canaletto, offering authentic Italian dining, from pasta to grill dishes. There is a choice of three bars and a relaxing lounge, as well as the Wajang Theatre where you can enjoy complimentary films and popcorn, and the Casino, offering games for all levels, with professionals at hand to help you learn new skills. Your holiday price is based on an inside cabin, however it is possible to upgrade your cabin to range of outside cabins and suites (subject to availability) for the latest cabin availability and price information please call our Holiday Advisors on 01858 415 420.
- Victoria and the Butchart Gardens
- Amazing Banff helicopter tour
- Banff Gondola
Pre-bookable excursions: A full programme of shore excursions will be available on your cruise, including:
- Mendenhall Glacier, Rainforest Garden and Museum
- Five Glacier Seaplane experience
- Train journey on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad
- Saxman Native Village & Totem Park