Rockies, Rail And An Alaskan Cruise
- Duration: 15 days
- Board Basis: Mixed Board
- Tour Ref: D2TTRAUCRMA
- Travel Type: Air
- Excursions: 3
This fantastic holiday gives you the chance to admire a host of Canada's most mesmerising sights and to take two thrilling journeys by both rail and sea. Begin your explorations in the awe-inspiring Banff National Park, home to snow-capped peaks, sparkling lakes and impressive wildlife. Then discover gorgeous Lake Louise, often described as one of the most beautiful places in Canada. Vancouver is next, and you'll reach this exceptional city on a two-day journey aboard the iconic Rocky Mountaineer train. Take in sublime views as you travel along Kicking Horse Pass, the Thompson River and through the dramatic canyons of the Fraser River. Soak up Vancouver's stunning setting, surrounded by mountains, forests and delightful islands, before the next leg of your journey – a spectacular seven-night Alaskan cruise. As you sail along North America's most scenic coastal landscape, watch for wildlife from the deck – you could spot whales, eagles, seals and grizzly bears. Step ashore in Alaska's capital, Juneau, to view the Mendenhall Glacier, and in Skagway, a lively relic of the Klondike Gold Rush. At Glacier Bay look for huge icebergs floating in the water, before your cruise comes to an end back in Vancouver.
The ultimate way to discover the west, this holiday includes both a ride on the Rocky Mountaineer and an Alaskan cruise.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Air Canada
- 6 nights room only in hotels of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- 7 nights full board on board Holland America Line's Volendam
- 4 meals: 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches on board the iconic Rocky Mountaineer train
- Travelsphere Tour Manager (pre-cruise)
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Sightseeing tour of Banff
- Lake Louise
- Vancouver city tour
- Day 1 UK/Banff
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Calgary today. On arrival, we will make our way to Banff by road, passing through the spectacular scenery of the Rocky Mountains. There's plenty of time to explore as you will stay in Banff for three nights.
- Day 2 Banff
- This morning we'll head out together to explore Banff National Park. Staggering views appear at every turn here, so be sure to remember your camera. Snow-capped mountains, crystal-clear lakes, sparkling streams and swathes of forest are just some of the attractions in this stunning destination. You'll also see the Hoodoos of Bow Valley - imposing spires of rock carved by wind and water - and the fabulous Surprise Corner. Here, an amazing view of the famous Banff Springs Hotel suddenly opens up before you. You won't believe your eyes! The wildlife is equally impressive, so look out for black and grizzly bears, wolves, elk and deer on land, then keep your eyes peeled for eagles, hawks and ospreys in the sky.
- Day 3 Lake Louise
- Nothing can prepare you for the beauty of Lake Louise - a glacial, jade-green lake surrounded on all sides by towering peaks. It's been described as one of Canada's most beautiful locations and you'll see it in all its glory on today's included excursion. If you wish, there will be plenty of time to take in the views from hiking trails along the shore.
- Day 4 Rocky Mountaineer
- The journey of a lifetime begins this morning as you step aboard the iconic Rocky Mountaineer train. Sit back, relax and take in the stunning views as you travel through the Canadian Rockies to Kamloops. SilverLeaf service includes seating in a single-level domed coach with oversized windows, giving you great viewing oppotunities. Meals, snacks and drinks are all served at your seat, so all you have to do is enjoy. If you've upgraded to GoldLeaf, you also have access to an exclusive outdoor viewing platform and a private dining room. After travelling over high mountain passes, through tunnels and along the South Thompson River, you'll disembark the train in Kamloops and stay in a hotel overnight. Don't worry, your journey is not over and you will join the Rocky Mountaineer once again tomorrow.
- Day 5 Rocky Mountaineer
- Another exciting day begins as you board the Rocky Mountaineer this morning. Take your seat and enjoy the views as you journey to Vancouver, following the course of the Thompson River and then the dramatic Canyons of the Fraser River. Keep a lookout for grizzly bears too as you enjoy a fascinating commentary from your onboard hosts. Your spectacular rail journey comes to an end in the beautiful city of Vancouver, your base for the next two nights.
- Day 6 Vancouver
- Named 'the best place to live in the world' in numerous polls, Vancouver's jaw-dropping coastal setting includes sparkling lakes, a harbour surrounded by snow-capped mountains and lush green forests. Enjoy a free day here, making your own discoveries. If you want to explore further afield, why not join our optional tour to Victoria, on Vancouver Island. You'll travel by ferry to the capital of British Columbia, where you'll visit the famous Butchart Gardens, considered to be one of the most spectacular floral show gardens in the world. Other sightseeing highlights include the Parliament building and the impressive Empress Hotel.
- Day 7 Vancouver & Volendam
- Your tour takes a new twist today, as we transfer you to Vancouver harbour to join your cruise ship, Volendam, which sets sail at 5pm. On board, once you've unpacked and settled into your comfortable stateroom, why not explore your wonderful floating hotel.
- Day 8 The Inside Passage
- Ahead lie days of luxurious relaxation and exploration as your ship traces the outline of North America's most scenic coastal landscape. As well as enjoying the ship's facilities, make sure you spend plenty of time on deck keeping a watchful eye for wildlife. If you're lucky you could see whales and seals in the water, eagles soaring overhead and grizzly bears on the shoreline.
- Day 9 Juneau
- Early this afternoon we'll dock in the Alaskan capital, Juneau, which stands on one of the largest wilderness areas of the United States. No roads lead into or out of the city, and it is surrounded by nature. Step ashore for an adventure in the great outdoors, with a visit to the 12-mile-long river of ice known as the Mendenhall Glacier just one recommendation. You might also see bears on the shore and bald eagles soaring above you.
- Day 10 Skagway
- This morning we arrive in Skagway, a lively relic of the Klondike Gold Rush, when gold was discovered here in 1896. With its wooden sidewalks and turn-of-the-century buildings, you'll feel like you've stepped back in time as you head off to explore at your own pace.
- Day 11 Glacier Bay
- Get ready for one of the scenic highlights of your cruise as we head to Glacier Bay. You'll see enormous icebergs floating in the blue-green water, and if we're lucky, we might catch sight of a glacier 'calving', sending thousands of tons of ice thundering into the bay. Don't put your camera down for a minute, as this area is a popular hangout for an incredible range of wildlife too. You might see humpback whales and sea otters in the water and grizzly, brown and black bears on the shore.
- Day 12 Ketchikan
- Today our journey takes us to Ketchikan, a quaint, weathered town clinging to a mountainside. Known as the 'salmon capital of the world', it's a lovely place to explore, and of course, it is the best place to sample some fresh Alaskan salmon. There's also an option to discover Totem Pole Park - Ketchikan is home to the world's largest collection of these fascinating works of art.
- Day 13 Cruising at sea
- It's your final day on board, so take every opportunity to appreciate the scenery as we cruise the Inside Passage. This series of deep fjords and tiny islands shaped by nature offers views that will simply take your breath away. As we make our way back to Vancouver, there's also plenty of time to catch up with your new-found friends and relive the amazing moments you've shared on this trip of a lifetime.
- Day 14 Vancouver/UK
- Your cruise comes to an end as you disembark the ship in Vancouver. You'll then set off on a sightseeing tour of this beautiful city, with highlights including its original historic core, known as Gastown, Chinatown, Stanley Park, with its famous totem poles, and the magnificent harbour. Later, we will transfer you to the airport for your return flight to the UK.
- Day 15 UK
- You'll arrive in the UK today.
- Residence Inn by Marriot
- Residence Inn by Marriott Calgary downtown is a great hotel with some excellent amenities. The stylish and modern property boasts a restaurant, bar and gym equipment. In addition, there is also a spacious terrace area for guests to relax in. Rooms are furnished with air conditioning, a TV and private facilities.
- Mount Royal Hotel
- Perfectly situated downtown in the very heart of Banff and overlooking the mountains, this historic hotel
has been situated here since 1908. The hotel has been completely updated this winter inspired by the history of the hotel and the area.
Warm, relaxed rooms and suites benefit from a desk area, complimentary high speed Wi-Fi, mini-fridge, kettle and coffee machine, smart TV, hairdryer, safe and iron.
There are four dining options at the hotel including Tony Roma''s restaurant, a guest lounge and Toque Canadian Pub. Additionally the hotel boasts a library, and roof top lounge with outdoor hot tubs.
- Kamloops Hotel
- Your hotel in Kamloops this evening is arranged by Rocky Mountaineer and will be advised when you board the train.
- Holiday Inn & Suites Vancouver Downtown
- A 7-minute walk from shopping on Robson Street, this modern hotel is also a 10-minute walk from the Hornby Street Aquabus, which offers direct access to Granville Island. Hotel rooms come with flat-screen TVs and desks, plus minifridges and coffeemakers. The facility also offers a casual restaurant/lounge, an indoor heated pool and a 24-hour exercise room, plus a spa.
- MS Volendam
- You will cruise aboard Holland America’s ms Volendam a mid sized ship with a maximum guest capacity of 1432 passengers. Their ships are known for the artworks on board, and also for the generous personal space given in the suites and staterooms. The Volendam has a beautiful garden theme reflected in the artful floral motif throughout the ship, and huge vases of fresh floral arrangements. On board there is plenty to do with facilities including two swimming pools, fitness centre, basketball and volleyball courts, shopping, and the Greenhouse Spa and Salon where you can book a treatment in one of the relaxing rooms, or book a hair or nail appointment in the Salon. Additionally, learn about the amazing natural world with exclusive content from BBC Earth, through on board concerts, films and shows. At mealtimes the ship boasts five restaurants to choose from, there is The Dining Room for breakfast, lunch or your five course evening meal, offering elegant and sophisticated dining, from classic favourites to local dishes inspired by the region you are visiting. For a more casual meal, the Lido Market offers food from different themed stations, with a panoramic view of the sea, or enjoy a gourmet burger, hot dog, or lighter bite from the pool side – Dive In. You could choose to enjoy your evening meal at the luxurious Pinnacle Grill which serves dishes inspired by the Pacific, boutique local wines are available, as well as others from famous vineyards across the world. Alternatively try Canaletto, offering authentic Italian dining, from pasta to grill dishes. There is a choice of three bars and a relaxing lounge, as well as the Wajang Theatre where you can enjoy complimentary films and popcorn, and the Casino, offering games for all levels, with professionals at hand to help you learn new skills. Your holiday price is based on an inside cabin, however it is possible to upgrade your cabin to range of outside cabins and suites (subject to availability) for the latest cabin availability and price information please call our Holiday Advisors on 01858 415 420.
- Victoria and the Butchart Gardens
- Banff helicopter tour
- Banff Gondola
Pre-bookable excursions: A full programme of shore excursions will be available on your cruise, including:
- Mendenhall Glacier, Rainforest Garden and Museum
- Five Glacier Seaplane experience
- Train journey on the White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad
- Saxman Native Village and Totem Park