Portugals Hidden Green Coast
Discover charming old towns, golden sands and tempting local delicacies on this wonderful holiday, which includes visits to bustling Oporto and Santiago de Compostela’s impressive cathedral, along with a memorable cruise on the Douro River.
Discover a different side to Portugal amongst its charming old towns and the lush landscapes of the Douro Valley.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Gatwick with TAP Air Portugal
- 7 nights half-board in a 3-star plus hotel
- 15 meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 7 dinners
- All excursions included
- Services of a Local Representative
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Explore the Douro Valley, including lunch and port wine tasting
- Oporto's highlights including river cruise and port tasting
- Visit Santiago de Compostela and discover its iconic cathedral
- Day 1 UK/Oporto
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Oporto, Portugal's second-largest city, and transfer on arrival to your hotel in the seaside resort of Esposende. Your hotel is just a short walk from the beach and faces the Cávado River.
- Day 2 Douro Valley
- Today we include an excursion to the Douro Valley, beginning with a visit to charming Amarante. Set on the slope of a picturesque hill with the Tâmega River running through it, the town boasts an array of cafés and restaurants, and is known for the rich pastries produced here. After time to explore, you'll continue to Peso da Régua, where you can enjoy a tasting of port wine followed by a traditional Portuguese lunch. Next, you can take in Pinhão's pretty train station, decorated with tiled panels depicting traditional scenes of the Douro region, and the 18th century Mateus Palace.
- Day 3 Oporto
- After breakfast, join your Local Guide for our included trip to Portugal's second-largest city, Oporto, which marks the point at which the Douro River flows into the Atlantic Ocean. With a UNESCO-listed Old Town overlooking the river, this is a charming place to explore, with plenty of interesting attractions. Your excursion starts with a visit to the Baroque Clérigos Church, whose soaring bell tower can be glimpsed throughout the city, before stepping inside the famous Lello Bookstore – one of the best bookshops in the world. There is free time for you to enjoy lunch, with the option to join a traditional cookery demonstration hosted by a professional chef, eating what you have prepared. In the afternoon you'll take a memorable cruise along the Douro, followed by a visit to one of Vila Nova de Gaia's port wine cellars for a tasting.
- Day 4 Esposende
- Today has been left free for you to enjoy at leisure. Perhaps soak up the sun as you laze by the hotel's swimming pool or take the short walk to the nearby beach.
- Day 5 Santiago de Compostela
- If you would like to discover more, why not join our included excursion to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, Spain. The cathedral here is the reputed burial place of Saint James the Great, one of the apostles of Jesus Christ. A place of pilgrimage for centuries, this is the culmination of the Way of St James.
- Days 6 & 7 Esposende
- Enjoy two days at leisure, enjoying the facilities at your hotel or relaxing on the beach. Perhaps make your way to the centre of Esposende, where you'll find an array of shops, restaurants and cafés, or you could head to the nearby city of Barcelos. Here you'll find a fascinating archaeological museum housed in the ruins of the Palace of the Counts of Barcelos.
- Day 8 Oporto/UK
- Today you will transfer to the airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Hotel Suave Mar
- The Hotel Suave Mar (3-star plus) is a charming hotel facing the beautiful Cávado River in Esposende. Peaceful days can be spent relaxing by the outdoor pool, before enjoying delicious evening meals served in the Foz restaurant, which serves international dishes in front of a cosy fireplace. After-dinner drinks can be enjoyed in the elegant piano bar. Other facilities include a pool-side bar, tennis courts and a gym. Guest rooms feature en suite facilities and a spacious sitting area.
Back to top