Pompeii, Paestum & Herculaneum
- Duration: 8 days
- Board Basis: Half Board
- Tour Ref: D2TTRAFIPP
- Travel Type: Air
- 3 star hotel
- Excursions: 6
The Amalfi Coast and Mount Vesuvius offer stunning backdrops as you explore a trio of exceptional archaeological sites. From your base in the pretty town of Vico Equense, you'll begin your discoveries in Pozzuoli. At its well-preserved Roman amphitheatre you can follow in the footsteps of the gladiators who would do bloody battle here. You'll then experience the unique landscape of the Solfatara volcanic crater and take in the incredible ruins at Cumae. The doomed city of Pompeii then offers remarkable sightseeing as you stroll down its incredibly preserved streets before you journey along the stunning Amalfi Coast. Uncover the three magnificent Doric temples at Paestum and the historic Villa Poppaea at Oplontis, where the Roman art you'll see looks as good as new! Next is the site of Herculaneum, which was also buried in ash by Mount Vesuvius's 79AD eruption, and you've options to walk to the volcano's summit and visit the chic island of Capri.
The Amalfi Coast and Mount Vesuvius offer stunning backdrops as you explore a trio of exceptional archaeological sites.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- 7 nights half board in a 4-star hotel
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Lecturer and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Pozzuoli's Roman remains, Solfatara and Cumae
- The ruins of Pompeii
- Villa Poppaea at Oplontis and Herculaneum
- Amalfi Coast drive to Paestum
- Candle-lit dinner on your hotel's wisteria-shaded terrace (May - Oct)
- Pizza-al-metro dinner in a pizzeria (End of Mar - Oct)
Please note: Customers departing on the 4th March and 18th November 2019 will be staying at 4* Hotel Villa Romana in Minori.
- Day 1 UK/Naples
- Please note: The itinerary may run in a different order, your Tour manager will confirm the times and dates of your excursions in resort.After your flight to Naples we'll transfer you to the pretty town of Vico Equense, on the Sorrento Peninsula. Your hotel is in the heart of the town and offers lovely views over the Bay of Naples towards Mount Vesuvius. Your Tour Lecturer will be on hand throughout your holiday to help you discover the archaeological treasures of this beautiful part of Italy.
- Day 2 Pompeii
- Today is the day that you will explore the remarkableruins of Pompeii. Asyou wander its streets, you'll understand what life was like here before MountVesuvius erupted in 79 AD smothering it and its inhabitants in hot ash. On yourfull-day tour, you'll see many of Pompeii’s best sights, including villasdecorated with frescoes, colourful mosaics, Roman baths, an impressiveamphitheatre and more.
- Day 3 Pozzuoli, Solfatara & Cumae
- A day of contrasts awaits you on an included tour, which begins at Pozzuoli. Here you can follow in the footsteps of gladiators as you wander the maze of underground tunnels beneath its well-preserved Roman amphitheatre. In its heyday, this arena held crowds of up to 20,000 people. Next you'll move on to the unique landscape of the Solfatara volcanic crater. Once thought to be the entrance to hell, the bubbling and hissing you hear could be unnerving, but don't worry, the volcano is long dormant. Your final stop is Cumae, where only ruins remain of the Greek temples that once stood here. The Cave of Sibyl and the Temple of Jupiter are incredible sights nonetheless.
- Day 4 Capri
- Today is free for you to spend at leisure. Alternatively, join our full-day optional excursion to the glamorous island ofCapri, which is reached via a short boat trip. As you explore independently you'llsoon see why so many have been charmed by its beauty over time, from RomanEmperors and poets to movie stars and artists. You could choose to take astroll around the village of Capriand perhaps hop into one of the open-top taxis for a journey along windingstreets to Anacapri. Here you can visit Villa San Michele, the former home ofcelebrated doctor and philanthropist Axel Munthe, which is surrounded byfragrant gardens.
- Day 5 Amalfi & Paestum
- Before you reach historic Paestum today, a treat is in store in the shape of the beautiful Amalfi Coast. You'll travel along twisting clifftop roads and through the lovely resorts of Positano and Ravello to reach your destination. At your journey's end you'll discover three magnificent Doric temples. It's incredible to think that 2,500 years after they were built, the temples of Ceres, Neptune and Hera are still standing relatively intact. There's time too to step inside the museum here, which houses fascinating artefacts.
- Day 6 Oplontis & Herculaneum
- Today your Tour Lecturer will host a further day of exploration. We'll head to Herculaneum, which was also buried by the Mount Vesuvius' eruption. It's actually better preserved than Pompeii, and your Tour Lecturer will talk you through its highlights and outline the lives of its well-heeled former residents. The nearby Villa Poppaea at Oplontis was so well preserved by the ash from the same eruption that the Roman art inside almost looks freshly painted.
- Day 7 Vesuvius & Naples
- You've seen Vesuvius from a distance and learned all about its immense power but today you can actually walk to its summit during our optional excursion. Towering almost 1,300 metres above the Bay of Naples, this is mainland Europe's only active volcano and the views you'll experience will take your breath away. Next, join your Tour Lecturer on a visit to the Museum of National Antiquities in Naples, where many of the relics discovered at Pompeii are displayed.
- Day 8 Naples/UK
- Today we'll transfer you to the airport for yourflight back to the UK.
- Hotel Villa Romana
Hotel Villa Romana is a 4- star family run hotel situated on the stunning Amalfi Coast. Located in the small town of Minori which is home to narrow streets, townhouses, bars, cafes and a sea front promenade. Just 200m from the beach and in the heart of the Amalfi Coast, it is great for relaxing and exploring.
As is in the name, it was formerly an ancient Roman Villa, and this is evident through the classic style and comfort of the hotel. They serve delicious Mediterranean cuisine with seasonal and local produce.
Hotel facilities include; swimming pool, American bar, restaurant amd free Wifi throughout the hotel. Bedrooms are classically furnished and equipped with; direct dial telephone, TV mini-bar, air conditioning, hairdryer and safe.
- Sunbathing terrace
- American pool bar
- Free wi-fi
- Direct dial telephone
- Satellite colour TV
- Air conditioning
- Hair dryer
Naples- 56.5 km – 1 hour 30 minute drive approx.
Sorrento – 35.7 km- 1 hour 28 minute drive approx.
Amalfi- 3.9 km- 12 minute drive approx.
- The exclusive island of Capri
- Walk to the summit of Mount Vesuvius