Kenya & Tanzania Grand Safari
If you want to explore East Africa in depth, why not combine two fantastic holidays to create your own Kenya & Tanzania Grand Safari.
If you want to explore East Africa in depth, why not combine two fantastic holidays to create your own Kenya and Tanzania Grand Safari.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
14 nights in hotels, lodges and luxury tented camps plus 1 night in flight
41 meals: 14 breakfasts, 13 lunches, 14 dinners
All excursions included
Journey through the Great Rift Valley
Six game drives in the Samburu and Masai Mara reserves in 4x4 vehicles
Post-safari sundowner out in Samburu National Reserve
Eat breakfast out in the Masai Mara
Game drive in Tarangire National Park
Game drive in the world-famous Serengeti National Park
The Great Rift Valley and Olduvia Gorge. the 'cradle of mankind'
Game drive in the Ngorongoro Crater
Visit a Masai village
Guided walk around a coffee plantation and farm house
- DAY 1 UK/Nairobi
- Depart on your overnight flight to Nairobi today .
- Day 2 Aberdare Highlands
- On arrival in Nairobi this morning, you'll embark on a wonderful journey through the city, out into the Great Rift Valley and on to the Aberdare Highlands. Your hotel is the former residence of an English couple and it has a lovely homely feel. You'll check in just before lunch, and an afternoon at leisure gives you time to settle in. Why not take a stroll around the gardens, laze by the pool or join your guide for a nature trek.
- Day 3 Samburu National Reserve
- This morning we're going to head to the Samburu district, where your lodge is situated close to Samburu National Reserve. There's time for lunch before you head off through the open savannah on your first game drive. Wildlife is drawn to the park by the Uaso Nyiro River, which cuts through it, so you'll notch up plenty of spots. Residents include lion, elephant, cheetah, giraffe and hippo, as well as more than 350 types of bird. There's a huge population of Nile crocodile too, and look out for rare species including the long-necked gerenuk and Grevy's zebra. Your safari ends in great style, as you enjoy drinks and nibbles out in the bush watching the sun set over this sublime landscape.
- Day 4 Samburu National Reserve
- You're up early today to head back into the reserve on a morning safari. After lunch back at the lodge, you can take it easy this afternoon. Why not laze by the pool or maybe watch for animals in the river from the viewing deck. Late-afternoon we head out for another game drive.
- Day 5 Lake Naivasha
- Lake Naivasha is our next destination, where your overnight lodge is located on the banks of the lake. Its grounds are visited by many species of wildlife, including colobus monkeys, whose distinctive black and white coats make them easy to spot in the treetops. During a free afternoon, take in the views from your private balcony, settle by the pool or join your Local Guide for a stroll.
- Day 6 Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Your day starts very early, but it's going to be worth it as you journey into the Masai Mara National Reserve. This famous park is home to an enthralling array of animals including the 'Big Five' – lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo. It's also the setting each year for the great migration, when thousands of wildebeest and zebra cross the Mara River to the greener pastures of the Serengeti. You'll arrive at the wonderful Ashnil Mara Tented Camp in time for lunch. The restaurant overlooks the Mara River, which is home to a large, and vocal, population of hippos, so your wildlife spots start soon after you've arrived. Settle into your luxury tent before your Local Guide takes you out on a thrilling game drive. This evening, why not enjoy pre-dinner drinks round the bar's roaring campfire.
- Day 7 Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Sunrise is a great time to catch sight of wild animals, so we're going to head out into the reserve early today. Afterwards a truly magical experience comes in the shape of breakfast served al fresco out in the bush. When you get back to the lodge the rest of the day is free, until we get together for another game drive this afternoon.
- Day 8 Nairobi
- Today you're heading back to Nairobi, notching up more wildlife spots as you travel through the reserve. The long drive through Masai villages and shanty towns will reward you with fascinating snapshots of Kenyan daily life. Be sure to return the waves and smiles of children making their long treks to school! Once in Nairobi, we'll have lunch before checking into our overnight hotel.
- Day 9 Arusha and Lake Duluti, Tanzania
- This morning we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight to Arusha in Tanzania. On arrival in Arusha, the capital of Tanzania's Arusha Region, you will be met by your Local Guide and transferred to your hotel. Your overnight accommodation is beautifully located on the shores of Lake Duluti, and offers an idyllically peaceful setting away from the hustle and bustle of the city. After lunch, spend the afternoon at leisure – the landscaped gardens of this former coffee plantation offer exceptional views.
- Day 10 Tarangire National Park
- You're going to spend the morning travelling by road to Tarangire National Park. En route to your next lodge, the thrills begin straight away with a game drive. Look for the 'Big Five' – elephant, lion, rhino, leopard and Cape buffalo – as well as a host of other animals, which come to drink at the Tarangire River. You'll arrive at the lodge in time for lunch, and after time to relax, we're off on a late-afternoon game drive. The park is noted for its imposing baobab and acacia trees, and boasts a rich diversity of birdlife.
- Day 11 Serengeti National Park
- Serengeti National Park is famous for the annual Great Migration, when more than a million wildebeest and zebra make the hazardous journey here from the Masai Mara. A long but very rewarding drive brings you to this iconic game reserve – Tanzania's oldest – which offers some of the best wildlife viewing in Africa. Settle in at your lodge, then spend the rest of the day relaxing and taking in the spectacular views over the park.
- Day 12 Serengeti National Park
- A fantastic day lies ahead as you head off on safari in the Serengeti, which includes a picnic lunch. Your 4x4 vehicle offers excellent viewing conditions, and it won't be long before you make your first sighting. The park is home to three species of big cat, so look for lions, cheetahs and leopards as they stalk the vast grasslands in search of prey. You'll also see huge herds of buffalo, groups of elephant and giraffe and many species of antelope including eland, topi, impala and Grant's gazelle.
- Day 13 Ngorongoro Crater & Oldvai Gorge
- Today's drive to your next lodge, which is located on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater, takes you into the Great Rift Valley. During your journey you'll also witness the steep-sided Olduvai Gorge. Archaeological finds here date back millions of years, and include evidence of the world's first humans. If time allows you'll visit a Masai village, where you can see how these semi-Nomadic tribespeople live and have the option to purchase hand-crafted souvenirs. Formed by the collapse of a huge volcano more than two million years ago, the Ngorongoro Crater was declared a UNESCO-listed site in 1978. It is the largest intact volcanic caldera in the world. The crater floor is now home to a vast array of wild animals, which you will view on your full-day safari tomorrow. For now, simply settle in at your lodge, where facilities include a tempting swimming pool.
- Day 14 Ngorongoro Crater
- We're going to spend the day on safari in the Ngorongoro Crater, where you are guaranteed sightings of exceptional wildlife. Due to its enclosed nature, the crater has virtually formed its own ecosystem, and is home to huge populations of animals. The Gorigor Swamp is a haven for pods of hippo, and the vast open grassland attracts large herds of zebra, wildebeest, buffalo, Thomson's gazelle, Grant's gazelle and topi. Keep an eye out for black rhino – the area is home to East Africa's best population – and huge numbers of predators such as lions and spotted hyenas. You won't even have to stop your game viewing at lunchtime, as we're going to enjoy a picnic in our vehicle.
- Day 15 Arusha
- You'll leave your lodge this morning and head back to Arusha for an overnight stay. En route you'll visit Ngorongoro Farm House, built in colonial style on a 500-acre coffee plantation. A guided walk will introduce you to traditional farming methods, and you'll also enjoy lunch here. This afternoon we're going to call at a local community where you can learn a little about a Travelsphere Cares initiative – Masai Clean Cookstoves. This project teaches local women how to construct and fit stoves in communal buildings. It means they will no longer cook in enclosed spaces using traditional methods, a practice which poses health risks.
- Day 16 Arusha/UK
- This morning we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK, via Nairobi.
- Aberdare Country Club
- This gorgeous property was originally the homestead of an English couple that decided to settle in Kenya. After almost half a century later their home was renamed the Aberdare Country Club and became open to guests. The hotel has retained the charm of a private home but with the comforts and amenities of a country club.
- Asnil Samburu Camp
- This stunning camp offers luxury tented
accommodation in exceptional surroundings.
Each tent at the Ashnil Samburu Camp offers views of the Ewaso Nyiro River. Facilities at the camp include a restaurant, open-air bar, swimming pool and souvenir shop. Each comfortably furnished tent has en suite facilities, fan and terrace.
- Lake Naivasha Simba Lodge
- The Naivasha Simba Lodge is situated on the banks of Lake Naivasha, the cleanest lake in the Great Rift Valley. Hotel facilities include a solar heated swimming pool and poolside snack bar. Rooms are comfortably furnished with mahogany furniture.
- Ashnil Mara Tented Camp
- The 4-star Ashnil Mara Camp is situated in the Masai Mara National Park.
Camp facilities include a restaurant, bar, and a swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities and a sun deck.
- Eka Hotel Nairobi
- Eka Hotel is located on Mombasa Road in Nairobi and within easy reach of many of Nairobi''s attractions including: Karen Blixen Museum, Nairobi National Park and the National Museum. There are two restaurants, the Galaxy which overlooks the pool and serves buffet breakfasts and all day snacks and the Spur as well as two bars. Leisure facilities include an outdoor swimming pool and a gym. All rooms have en suite bathroom with shower and toilet, flat screen TV, safe, tea/coffee making facilities, telephone, hairdryer and free Wi-Fi is also available.
- Lake Duluti Serena Hotel
- The colonial-style Lake Duluti Serena Hotel is located near the shores of Lake Duluti and was once a coffee farm plantation. All rooms feature TV with satellite channels, kettle, free toiletries and a hairdryer. Other hotel facilities include free Wi-Fi, on-site bar and restaurant, library and a gift shop.
- Tarangire Sopa Lodge
- Tarangire Sopa Lodge lies hidden among the ancient baobab and grasses of the Tarangire National Park - home of the greatest concentration of elephants in Africa. All rooms come with en-suite facilities, private lounge on entering with a mini bar and 2 queen size beds with a mosquito net around them. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the lodge.
- Serengeti Sopa Lodge
- Serengeti Sopa Lodge is located in south-western part of Serengeti National Park, home to many thousands of wild and rare animals. All rooms feature 2 queen size beds and are tastefully furnished with local fabrics and pictures. Additionally there is a verandah with comfortable chairs and coffee table in front of every rooms, where guests can relax in the evenings and enjoy views of vast Serengeti plains.
- Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
- Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge is located at the highest point of Ngorongoro crater''s entire rim. All rooms come en-suite with spacious showers and feature 2 queen size beds, wake up calls and complimentary coffee and tea to kick start an early morning game drive. Other hotel facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, a barbecue and on-site bar. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the lodge.
- The Arusha Hotel
- The Arusha Hotel, conveniently located in the city centre, is the finest place to stay in the city of Arusha in Northern Tanzania. Spacious and air-conditioned rooms come with en-suite facilities and feature flat-screen TVs with satellite channels. Other hotel amenities include a gym and an outdoor swimming pool, surrounded by beautiful gardens.
Guest can enjoy European, Asian and East African cuisine in the Parachichi Restaurant and drinks in the Hatari Bar.