Isle Of Man Heritage Rail Adventures
Delve into the culture of this fascinating island. Traverse beautiful green hills aboard the Heritage railways, admire far-reaching views and discover coastal towns and unique communities that draw people from across the globe
Delve into the culture of this fascinating island. Traverse beautiful green hills aboard the Heritage railways, admire far-reaching views and discover coastal towns and unique communities that draw people from across the globe.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Standard-class return fast catamaran travel from Liverpool
- 4 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 7 meals: 4 breakfasts, 3 dinners
- All excursions included
- Travelsphere Tour Manager
- Other transportation as described
- Steam train ride to the seaside town of Port Erin and historic Castletown
- Travel on the Douglas Manx Electric Railway to Laxey, Ramsey and Peel
- Reach new heights on the Snaefell Mountain Railway
- Visit beautiful Groudle Glen and the cliff-top Sea Lion Rocks tea rooms
- Make full use of your Heritage Pass
- DAY 1 Liverpool/Douglas
- After making your own way to Liverpool you will depart early this evening for Douglas aboard the fast catamaran 'Manannan'. On arrival, transfer by coach to the 4-star Sefton Hotel, located on the promenade.
- DAY 2 Port Erin & Castletown
- Join your Tour Manager for the steam train journey to Port Erin, a delightful seaside town with a sandy beach set in an enclosed harbour. You can visit the Railway Museum here or walk along the promenade before taking the train to Castletown. On arrival, the afternoon is free for you to do as you wish. Once the capital of the island, Castletown sits on the site of an ancient volcano and is one of the oldest towns in the British Isles. Perhaps enjoy a walk around its quaint narrow streets or visit the medieval Castle Rushen.
- DAY 3 Laxey, Ramsey & Peel
- This morning you will take the Douglas Manx Electric Railway (MER) to Laxey. On arrival, you will board the Great Laxey Mine Railway, which once carried metal ores from the mine. A short walk from the terminus is the Lady Isabella waterwheel. Built in 1854 to pump water from the mine, it is now the largest working waterwheel in the world. From here, take a lovely route on the MER to Ramsey. After this you will take the bus to Peel, where you can spend the afternoon at leisure. You may enjoy a walk around the ruins of Peel Castle or take a stroll up Peel Hill for splendid views before taking the bus back to Douglas.
- DAY 4 Snaefell Mountain Railway & Groudle Glen
- Today you will take the electric train to Laxey. On arrival, you will board the Snaefell Mountain Railway, reaching the summit in around 30 minutes. Here you can purchase refreshments from the café and on a clear day enjoy views of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Your next train journey will take you from Laxey to Groudle Glen, and after another short train journey, to the cliff-top Sea Lion Rocks tea room where you can admire the scenery over a drink before your return journey to Douglas.
- DAY 5 Douglas/Liverpool
- After a morning at leisure, you'll head back to Liverpool by catamaran this afternoon.
- The Sefton Hotel
- The 4-star Sefton Hotel in Douglas boasts Victorian elegance with a modern twist. You'll also find a beautiful indoor water-garden here.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant, breakfast room, bar and a gym. Bedrooms have private facilities, hairdryer, Wi-Fi, tea- and coffee-making facilities and a TV.