Highlights Of Sri Lanka
- Duration: 13 days
- Board Basis: Half Board
- Tour Ref: D2TTRALSRL
- Travel Type: Air
- 3 star hotel
- Excursions: 7
Fascinating ruins, dense jungle and hillsides carpeted with tea plantations and aromatic spice gardens. This is what you get in Sri Lanka, and so much more as you embark on a mesmerising journey and see at close hand a wonderland of wildlife.
If you're searching for a paradise island teeming with wildlife, incredible landscapes and a colourful culture, head to Sri Lanka.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Sri Lankan Airlines
- 11 nights on half board in 4 and 5-star hotels plus 1 night in flight
- 22 meals: 11 breakfasts, 1 lunch & 10 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Minneriya National Park
- Village walk, catamaran ride
- Visit the Dambulla cave temples
- The UNESCO-listed Sigiriya rock fortress
- Spice garden visit with cookery demonstration
- Royal Botanical Gardens and Temple of the Tooth
- Tea plantation visit
- Sightseeing tour of Nuwara Eliya
- Visit a school supported by Travelsphere Cares
- Yala National Park safari
- Guided nature walk in Yala National Park
- See reminders of Dutch colonial rule in Galle
- Visit a turtle hatchery
- Day 1 UK/Colombo
- You'll depart on your scheduled flight to Colombo today.
- Day 2 Colombo
- On arrival in Colombo we'll transfer you to your hotel, where you'll stay overnight. After your flight, a relaxed afternoon is the perfect way to start your holiday. Why not pick a spot by the hotel's swimming pool and soak up some sun.
- Day 3 Minneriya
- Now you're re-energised and ready to go, your tour starts in earnest with a drive to Sigiriya, in the heart of Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle. A two-night stay here means there's time to visit Minneriya National Park today, where elephants, deer and wild boar roam and you'll see a variety of bird species.
- Day 4 Sigiriya
- You've the chance to experience local life today in a nearby village, where a walk and a catamaran ride are all included! We reach the UNESCO-listed site of Sigiriya later. This spectacular rock fortress is one of the country's main attractions, featuring water gardens, moats and the impressive Lion Gate.
- Day 5 Kandy
- Kandy is a beautiful town, and it's your next base. On the way here we're going to stop at the Dambulla cave temples, home to more than 150 Buddha images. Further on, we'll visit a spice garden in Matale. Here you'll learn how these aromatic ingredients are used in traditional Sri Lankan cuisine, and pick up some tips to take home.
- Day 6 Kandy
- Today's included tour takes you to the Royal Botanical Gardens at Peradeniya, which were laid out by British colonial rulers in 1821 and are home to more than 5,000 species of plants and trees. You'll then tour Kandy, where highlights include the temple housing the famous Tooth Relic of Buddha and Market Square.
- Day 7 Nuwara Eliya
- We're setting our sights on Nuwara Eliya after breakfast today, in the heart of Sri Lanka's hill country. Home to the famous Ceylon tea, it is surrounded by a lush green carpet of plantations, and en route to our hotel we'll visit one. Here we'll see how the leaves are delicately picked by hand and eventually turn into our favourite brew. On arrival in Nuwara Eliya, settle into your hotel, then get your bearings on a sightseeing tour.
- Day 8 Nuwara Eliya
- It might be tempting to spend today lazing by the pool and soaking up the sunshine. Alternatively, if you want to discover more of Sri Lanka, come with us on an optional trip to Horton Plains National Park. At World's End you can peer over a 3,700ft sheer drop to take in fabulous views of the surrounding tea estates. There's wonderful flora and fauna to discover here too. Keep a lookout for some of the 24 species of mammal, which include the endemic slender loris, purple monkey and sambar deer.
- Day 9 Yala
- You've a great journey ahead today on a drive to Yala, where the landscape ranges from open parkland to dense jungle. Before we arrive we're going to stop at a school in Nuwara Eliya, which is supported by the Travelsphere Cares project. As you reach Yala, look out for watering holes, small lakes and lagoons. These attract the many animals that thrive here, including a sizeable elephant population, which we hope to spot tomorrow. End the day with a spot of relaxation at your hotel.
- Day 10 Yala
- This morning join our exciting safari in Yala National Park, where elephant and leopard may be spotted as well as many other species such as sloth bears, monkeys and crocodiles. This afternoon join our included guided nature walk.
- Day 11 Beruwala
- Your final destination is Beruwala, home to one of the longest beaches in Sri Lanka. You will stay here for two nights and en route you'll visit Galle, the port where the Portuguese first landed in Sri Lanka. Captured later by the Dutch you'll see plenty of reminders of Dutch colonial rule among its narrow alleys, churches and monuments. You'll then visit a turtle hatchery where these endangered creatures are protected and released into the wild. Enjoy the rest of the day relaxing on the beach.
- Day 12 Beruwala
- You could start the day with an optional morning yoga session with an expert teacher, after which you can spend the whole day at leisure. Beruwela is a busy little town which has managed to retain its charm, so maybe explore at your own pace or stay put and enjoy the facilities of your beachfront hotel.This evening you could choose to join an optional dinner which introduces you to Arrack - a Sri Lankan spirit distilled from the sap of the coconut flower. This can only be collected by hand and is aged in oak casks. Your multi-course meal, which was developed by chef Adam Gaunt from the Flying Fish in Sydney, Australia, will be accompanied by several types of Arrack.
- Day 13 Beruwala/UK
- Today we will transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Cinnamon Lakeside Hotel Colombo
- Located along the banks of Beira Lake in Colombo, the Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo features an outdoor pool, a spa and wellness area, tennis, squash courts and also a gym. All rooms are stylishly appointed and have a flat-screen TV, safety deposit box and tea and coffee-making facilities, Wi-Fi and air conditioning. All rooms have en suite facilities.
- Chaaya Village - Habarana
- The 4-star Habarana Village by cinnamon is wonderfully situated and borders a stunning lake.
Hotel facilities include a restuarant, bar and a swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, mini-bar, tea/coffee-making facilities and a TV.
- The Golden Crown
- The Golden Crown Hotel is a 5-star hotel set in thriving paddy fields surrounded by rolling hills, located just a short drive from the famous Temple of the Tooth Relic. All rooms are air conditioned, have satellite TV, kettle and minibar and are equipped with a private bathroom with bidet and shower, bathrobe and slippers. Hotel facilities include a swimming pool and infinity pool bar and three restaurants.
- The Blackpool
- Surrounded by vast tea estates, the Blackpool Hotel has the style of ancient colonialism but with modern touch. The hotel has an outdoor warm water pool, lounge, bar and restaurant. The 57 rooms are decorated with traditional Sri Lankan design and feature air conditioning, TV, safe, free Wi-Fi and private bathroom facilities.
- Jetwing Yala
- The 4-star Jetwing Yala is situated within reach of Yala National Park.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant, gym and a swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, hairdryer, mini-bar, complimentary Wi-Fi, tea/coffee-making facilities, safe and a TV.
- Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
- The 5-star Cinnamon Bey is situated in Beruwela.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant, spa, bar and a swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, hairdryer, mini-bar, tea/coffee-making facilities and a TV.
Take in views from the famous 'World's End' in Horton Plains National Park
Enjoy a morning yoga session
Sample Arrack at a special dinner