Grand Baltic Explorer
- Duration: 12 days
- Board Basis: Half Board
- Tour Ref: D2TTRAFBALT
- Travel Type: Air
- Excursions: 6
Discover five countries on this epic journey from Poland to Finland, travelling through the Baltic states of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. Warsaw is your first destination, and a two-night stay in Poland's capital gives you plenty of time to explore. Next is Vilnius in Lithuania, whose medieval Old Town is one of the largest in Europe. On to Latvia's picturesque capital, Riga, where sightseeing highlights include an ancient castle and a fascinating open-air museum. Your journey then continues to Tallinn in Estonia, via Gauja National Park, whose scenic beauty compares to that of Switzerland. Your final destination is the Finnish capital, Helsinki, a vibrant seaside city, which you'll reach by ferry. Sightseeing highlights here include Senate Square, the Presidential Palace and the incredible Sibelius Monument.
Discover five countries on this epic journey from Poland to Finland, travelling through the Baltic states of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 10 nights in 4-star hotels
- 15 meals: 10 breakfasts, 5 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Guided tour of Polish capital Warsaw
- Spa town of Druskininkai and Grutas Park's Sculptures
- Tour of Vilnius, Lithuania's historical capital
- Trakai Castle and its art museum
- Visit Kaunas and explore its Old Town
- Discover the Hill of Crosses and Rundale Palace
- Turaida Castle and the town of Sigulda
- Visit Helsinki and discover its historical centre
- Visit the medieval riverside town of Porvoo
- Day 1 UK/Warsaw
- You'll depart on your scheduled flight to the Polish capital, Warsaw today. A two-night stay gives you plenty of time to explore.
- Day 2 Warsaw
- You'll discover the best of Warsaw as your Tour Manager and Local Guide point out all the highlights on today's tour. There's Castle Square, which fronts the Royal Castle, Sigismund's Column – the city's most famous landmark – and St John's Cathedral. Together we'll stroll through Market Square and stop to admire the Monument of Warsaw's Uprising. We're then going to drive along the Royal Route, which is lined with aristocratic residences, and we'll see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
- Day 3 Druskininkai and Grutas Park
- Today's journey by road takes us to Vilnius in Lithuania. On the way we'll stop off to explore the spa town of Druskininkai, which boasts many mineral springs and mud baths. Close by, we'll also visit Grutas Park, an extraordinary collection of Soviet-era sculptures that escaped destruction when Lithuania gained its independence. You'll arrive in Vilnius this evening.
- Day 4 Vilnius and Trakai Castle
- After breakfast it's time to discover Vilnius with a guided tour of its UNESCO-listed Old Town, one of the largest surviving medieval towns in Europe. You'll see St Anna's Church, St Peter's and Paul's Church, the cathedral and the Gate of Dawn, one of nine defensive gates built in Vilnius between 1503 and 1522. Tonight you'll stay in Kaunas and before we arrive, we'll explore the 14th century Trakai Castle, which is located on an island and houses a museum of art.
- Day 5 Kaunas, Siauliai and Rundale Palace
- Left unscathed by the Second World War, Kaunas boasts many ancient architectural monuments, particularly in the Old Town. This is where you'll head this morning to discover highlights including its Town Hall, the 13th century castle and the Church of St Francis Xavier. We then take to the road for a drive to Riga, where you stay for two nights. En route to Latvia's capital we'll call at the pilgrimage site of the Hill Crosses in Siauliai as well as Rundale Palace. This masterpiece of Baroque architecture was created by Italian architect F B Rastrelli, who was responsible for many of St Petersburg's finest buildings, including the Winter Palace.
- Day 6 Riga
- Get out and about on an optional excursion in Riga today in the company of your Local Guide. Your sightseeing will include the Dome Cathedral, Riga Castle and St Peter's Cathedral. Here, we'll take the lift up to the viewing platform to see the city from a different angle. Later, join our afternoon visit to the Latvian Ethnographic Open-air Museum, on the banks of Lake Jugla. Its ancient buildings have been brought from all over the country and give a fascinating insight into Latvia's culture and traditions.
- Day 7 Turaida Castle and Sigulda
- The next leg of your journey takes you into Estonia, where you'll stay in Tallinn for two nights. Our drive here gives us the chance to enjoy further sightseeing, firstly with a stop at the reconstructed medieval Turaida Castle. Later, we can stretch our legs in the pretty town of Sigulda. Located in Gauja National Park, you'll soon see why it's labelled the Latvian Switzerland!
- Day 8 Tallinn
- Tallinn is yours to explore today or join us on an optional tour which will introduce you to districts dating back to the Middle Ages. Together we'll walk along narrow streets lined by Gothic-style merchants' houses to discover Toompea Castle, Town Hall Square and the Russian orthodox Alexander Nevskij Cathedral. A highlight of our day is a tour of the grand Kadriorg Palace, a gift from Peter the Great to his wife Catherine I in the 1720s.
- Day 9 Helsinki
- Enjoy some time to yourself this morning before we take the ferry to Helsinki, a seaside city and Finland's capital. We’ll stay here for the next two nights. You'll see Helsinki's main sights on tomorrow's tour, so today why not head out and explore at your own pace. This compact city is easily explored on foot, with highlights including stunning architecture, large parks, great shopping, plenty of bars and restaurants and a beautiful coastline sprinkled with islands.
- Day 10 Helsinki
- We're going to get to know Helsinki better today, with a full day of exploration. After you've enjoyed breakfast, join your Tour Manager on a stroll around its historical centre. Notable sights include Senate Square, the Presidential Palace, the Parliament building and Finlandia Hall, home to the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra. Dedicated to the famed composer, the Sibelius Monument is our next highlight, followed by the Temppeliaukio Church, carved into solid rock and crowned with a copper dome. We'll spend the afternoon exploring the riverside town of Porvoo. Once used to store exotic merchandise brought to Finland from foreign lands, its colourful wooden shore houses are a striking attraction.
- Day 11 Helsinki/UK
- You'll head to the airport today for your flight back to the UK.
- Novotel Warzawa Centrum
- The 4-star Novotel Centrum is located in central Warsaw, offering panoramic views of the city.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant and bar. Bedrooms have private facilities, safe and tea/coffee-making facilities.
- Holiday Inn Vilnius
- Holiday Inn Vilnius is a light and comfortable 4 star Hotel in the heart of Vilnius'' postcard-pretty Old Town. Bursting with a heady mix of European architechture, vibrant markets and the Vilnius Cathedral, making it a great place to explore. Hotel Facilities include a restaurant and lobby bar. All bedrooms have delightful views, complimentary internet access, individually controlled air conditioning systems, private facilities, mini bar and satellite TV.
- Europa Royal Kaunas
- Europa Royal Kaunas is a 4 star Hotel located in the heart of Kaunas close to it''s attractions. Hotel facilities include a restaurant and bar.All bedrooms include private facilities, air conditioning, and free Wifi access
- Wellton Riga Hotel & Spa
- L'Ermitage Hotel
- Scandic Meilahti Hotel
- Riga and the Open Air Museum
- Tour of Tallinn and Kadriorg Palace