- Duration: 15 days
- Board Basis: Mixed Board
- Tour Ref: D2TTRALPRU
- Travel Type: Air
- 3 star hotel
- Excursions: 8
Follow in the footsteps of intrepid adventurers as you explore Peru, an intriguing country like nowhere you've been before. Discover the colonial past of its capital, Lima, journey along the Pan American Highway to the ancient Pachacamac Temple and cruise around the Ballestas Islands, keeping a lookout for Humboldt penguins and sea lions. In the 'White City' of Arequipa – loomed over by ice-capped volcanoes – uncover archaeological Andean treasures then take a scenic drive via the immense Colca Canyon. Gaze skyward to spot Andean condors as you head to Puno, set on the shores of Lake Titicaca. Sitting 12,500ft up in the Andes, it is home to the Uros floating islands, which you'll discover before you travel to Cuzco. During a four-night stay here, walk amongst ancient Inca sites, none more thrilling than the 'lost city' of Machu Picchu. Perched high above a steep valley and swathed in jungle, this incredible site is the pièce de résistance of your tour.
This intriguing country is like nowhere you've been before, where Incan ruins, lost civilisations and intoxicating landscapes are king.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Avianca and internal flights
- 12 nights in 3 and 4-star hotels plus 2 nights in flight
- 18 meals: 13 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 1 dinner
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Tour of Lima
- The Pachacamac Temple in the valley of Lurin
- Cruise the Ballestas Islands
- See the famous Nazca Lines
- Visit the 'White City' of Arequipa
- See the spectacular Colca Canyon
- Guided tour of the Sillustani ruins
- Lake Titicaca and the floating islands
- Tour of Cuzco
- Machu Picchu guided tour
- Day 1 UK/Lima via Bogotá
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Lima via Bogotá . You'll arrive on the morning of day 2, when we'll transfer you to your overnight hotel. If you are travelling on a regional flight, you' ll arrive late in the evening of day 1, and we'll transfer you to your hotel for a two-night stay.
- Day 2 Lima
- You'll get to see the highlights of Lima today on a tour of the city. While its colonial past is clearly evident in its beautiful squares, fine churches, palaces and mansions, you' ll also see the architectural legacy of the Incans and native Indians.
- Day 3 Paracas
- Start your day with a journey by road to Paracas along the Pan American Highway, which cuts through a barren desert landscape. We'll stop at the site of the ancient Pachacamac Temple where we'll be transported back to pre-Incan times as we explore. The ruins consist of adobe walls and pyramids and you' ll also see the remains of early frescoes. Tonight we will stay in Paracas.
- Day 4 Nazca
- We're taking to the water today for a fascinating cruise around the Ballestas Islands. This protected wildlife reserve provides shelter for many different species. On your cruise, keep a lookout for Humboldt penguins, sea lions and more. Later we'll travel to Nazca for an overnight stay.
- Day 5 Arequipa
- Sit back, relax and take in lovely coastal views as you journey to Arequipa, our base for the next two nights.
- Day 6 Arequipa
- You'll understand why Arequipa is known as the White City after today's tour. It is loomed over by ice-capped volcanoes and as you explore you'll see ma ny buildings made from white volcanic rock. We' ll also head inside the Museum of Andean Sanctuaries to see archaeological finds from the Andes, and the Santa Catalina Convent, a masterpiece of colonial architecture. You can choose to spend the afternoon just as you wish.
- Day 7 Colca
- After setting off early this morning, a scenic drive takes us to the Colca Canyon, whose steep walls are deeper than the Grand Canyon. This is one of the best places in South America to spot the Andean condor, a magnificent bird of prey, so keep your eyes skyward. We'll stay in Colca overnight.
- Day 8 Puno
- Our next base is Puno, on the shores of Lake Titicaca. We' ll drive here today and on the way stop off at the remote burial site at Sillustani, where the religious rituals of the pre-Inca Colla people will be explained.
- Day 9 Puno
- You're going to enjoy superb close-up views of sacred Lake Titicaca and the Uros floating islands this morning. The lake sits 12,500ft up in the Andes and covers a huge area of 3,500 miles. Spend the afternoon in Puno exploring at your own pace.
- Day 10 Cuzco
- Four nights in Cuzco will give you plenty of time to explore. Your journey here is going to be a wonderful experience too as you cross the high plateau of the Andes taking in views of traditional rural life.
- Day 11 Cuzco
- Today is free for you to make your own discoveries in Cuzco. However, if you'd like to join an optional excursion, why not come with us to the Sacred Valley. This day of exploration begins in Chinchero, a typical Andean village, where we're invited into a local home to meet a craftsman who will tell us all about the production of traditional textiles. The village is also home to a beautiful adobe church built in the early 1600s by the Spanish and Inca ruins dating back to the 15th century. Prior to lunch in a restaurant we'll head to the Racchi viewpoint to take in amazing views over the Sacred Valley. In the afternoon we arrive in Ollantaytambo, an Incan military, religious and agricultural centre located at the top of a mountain. This fortress settlement is one of the few places where the Spanish colonists were defeated by the Incas. The present town, which we will explore, largely follows its original Inca plan, with stone-paved streets and a number of ruins remaining.
- Day 12 Machu Picchu
- You've seen many of Peru's incredible sights so far on your tour, but today offers something really special. You're going to get the chance to explore the ruined 'lost city' of Machu Picchu, perched high above a steep valley and swathed in jungle. Your journey here is by narrow gauge railway, with the last part by bus. A walk with a Local Guide on the mountain top and time to go your own way will help you to uncover its splendour. You'll be able to wander through the temples and terraces and enjoy spectacular views into the lush green Urubamba Valley thousands of feet below.
- Day 13 Cuzco
- There's plenty to see in Cuzco, so let's head off to explore. We're going to start at a school in the Choco rural community which is supported by the Travelsphere Cares project, before heading to the Koricancha Temple. This ancient Inca palace was the centre of worship of the Sun God. In Cuzco's main square you'll step inside the cathedral, and your tour ends with a visit to the Sacsayhuamán fortress, an impressive example of Inca military architecture.
- Day 14 Cuzco
- Today we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight to the UK via Lima and Bogotá.
- Day 15 UK via Bogotá
- You'll arrive back in the UK today.
- Jose Antonio Lima Hotel
- The 4-star Jose Antonio Hotel is located in the heart of Miraflores, close to downtown Lima. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar and gift shop. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, mini-bar, TV and hairdryer.
- Doubletree Resort by Hilton Paracas
- DM Hoteles Nazca
- DM Hoteles Nazca is a wonderful property that combines classic style with a great location, being situated just a short walk from the city’s main square. The hotel has a large and spacious courtyard that has a refreshing swimming pool in its centre. Both local and international dishes can be enjoyed at the in-house restaurant, and there is also free WIFI readily available. The air-conditioned rooms are furnished with private facilities, a safe as well as a TV.
- San Agustin Posada del Monasterio
- Directly across the road from the famous Monastery of Santa Catalina, this hotel is ideally located so guests can explore everything Arequipa has to offer. Its historic external aesthetic is complemented beautifully by a relaxing and lush garden courtyard. Those staying here can also enjoy both local and international cuisine at the in-house restaurant. There is free WiFi available at the property and rooms are furnished a TV.
- Aranwa Pueblito Encantado del Colca
- Located on the banks of the Colca River in the Andes, this private, beautiful hotel features wooden flooring in the rooms, rooms have safes and minibar. There''s also a bar and a modern restaurant which uses local organic ingredients. Other amenities include a spa and an outdoor pool.
- XIMA Puno Hotel
- Hotel Jose Antonio Cusco
- The Jose Antonio Cuzco is situated just a few minutes’ walk from the main square. The hotel is fitted with modern amenities but also features stunning colonial details. Rooms are spacious with features including hair dryers, Wi-Fi and cable TV. The hotel also has two great restaurants serving both Peruvian specialties as well as international options.
Tour of Sacred Valley and OllantaytamboBack to top