Discover Romania & Enchanting Transylvania
History and intrigue accompany you on this fascinating tour of Romania's biggest and best attractions. Fairytale castles, medieval villages, enchanting forest landscapes and ancient monasteries all have their tales to tell as you journey through Transylvania. You'll get to explore the legendary Dracula's castle, discover centuries-old cultural traditions and meet the people behind the 'We Help!' charity, which supports the country's disadvantaged children. You'll also soak up hundreds of years of history and marvel at gorgeous landscapes as you pass through this land of endless natural beauty, ancient myths and fascinating legends.
History, intrigue and legend accompany you on this tour of Romania's biggest and best attractions.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return direct flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 7 Nights in 3 and 4-star hotels
- 11 meals: 7 breakfasts, 4 dinners and welcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers, other transportation and porterage
- Audio guide
- Visit the 17th century Mogosoaia Palace
- Explore the medieval citadel of Sibiu
- Enjoy dinner with a local family with folklore show and free-flowing wine and brandy
- Visit a BioFarm and sample the produce
- Stroll the gardens of the grand Brukenthal Summer Palace
- Traditional weaving demonstration
- Dinner in Brasov at a Slow Food restaurant
- Medieval Brasov and its impressive church
- Discover Bran Castle
- Atmospheric dinner in Bran Castle grounds
- The magnificent Peles Castle and Sinaia Monastery
- Panoramic Bucharest sightseeing tour
- Day 1 UK - Bucharest
- After flying to Bucharest, we'll transfer you to your hotel.
- Day 2 Bucharest - Mogosoaia - Sibiu
- This morning we'll transfer to Mogosoaia and visit the beautiful Mogosoaia Palace, built in the 1600s by the famous Prince Constantin Brancoveanu. En route to Sibiu we'll stop in Curtea de Arges, home to a remarkable Romanian Orthodox monastery. We'll arrive in Sibiu in the evening and enjoy dinner at the hotel.
- Day 3 Sibiu - Sibiel
- After breakfast we'll embark on a walking tour of Sibiu, which is as photogenic as any medieval town in Eastern Europe. We'll marvel at the 14th century Lutheran Cathedral, home to a looming spire and Romania's largest pipe organ, and the historic Bridge of Lies. We'll then meet a representative from the 'We Help!' charity, supported by the Travelsphere Cares initiative, and learn how they help Romania's disadvantaged children.
This evening sees us head to the mountain village of Sibiel, where we will sit down to a traditional Romanian dinner in a family home.
- Day 4 Sibiu - at Leisure
- An optional excursion this morning goes to the village of Biertan, home to a looming fortified church. Next we'll visit Sighisoara, the birthplace of one of Transylvania's most notorious sons, Vlad the Impaler – the real-life inspiration for Dracula. We'll meet a representative of the Mihai Eminescu Trust, which works with the Prince of Wales' Charitable Foundation to restore traditional Transylvanian villages. Finally, we'll stop at a local vineyard, to learn about the local wine-making culture and, naturally, enjoy a few samples.
- Day 5 Sighisoara - Brasov
- Today we're heading into the countryside to learn about rural Romanian life. We begin in Nucet with a visit to an innovative BioFarm, where we'll savour some of the produce. In Avrig we'll relax in the gardens of the Brukenthal Summer Palace, an elegantly crumbling 19th century mansion. Then we'll proceed to the village of Lisa to meet skilled wool-weavers who make beautiful carpets using vintage machinery powered by a water mill. Tonight, we'll have dinner at a Slow Food restaurant in medieval Brasov.
- Day 6 Brasov - Bran
- This morning we'll set off to see the sights in Brasov, including the looming Black Church – an imposing building and the biggest triumph of Gothic architecture in Romania. Our next stop, Bran Castle, also known as Dracula Castle, takes the Gothic up a notch with its spires and rooftops rising dramatically from the forest - a breathtaking sight. Tonight, we'll enjoy dinner in the castle grounds – a really atmospheric experience.
- Day 7 Bran - Bucharest
- Our first stop today is the striking Sinaia Monastery. It's named after Egypt's Mount Sinai, but with its Brâncovenesc domes and archways, this 300-year-old monastery – still home to several monks – is distinctly Romanian. Next it's on to the fairytale Peles Castle, a magnificent Neo-Renaissance masterpiece in the Carpathian Mountains. Arriving in Bucharest in the evening, we'll enjoy a panoramic city tour, taking in iconic sights like the Arcul de Triumf and Patriarchal Cathedral, the seat of the Romanian Orthodox Church. We finish with an optional farewell dinner at renowned Casa Doina, with centuries-old Romanian recipes like sarmale (meat-stuffed cabbage rolls).
- Day 8 Bucharest - UK
- With Romania thoroughly explored, this morning we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Union Plaza Bucharest
- Hotel Hermanns
- Hermanns Hotel Sibiu offers 4-star accommodation in Sibiu Featuring a restaurant and a terrace, the 4-star hotel has air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi, each with a private bathroom. The property is non-smoking and is set 1.2 miles from Union Square. All units at the hotel are equipped with a flat-screen TV with satellite channels and a safety deposit box. At Hermanns Hotel Sibiu every room comes with bed linen and towels.
- Hotel Armatti
- Located in Brasov Old Town, this stylish hotel features a fitness centre, free WiFi, concierge services and a 24-hour front desk. All rooms offer free WiFi, minibar, hairdryer, safe.
- Union Plaza Bucharest
- Biertan, Sighisoara and wine-tasting
- Traditional farewell dinner