Discover New England
Visit all six of the states of New England on this splendid tour. Experience magnificent scenery in New Hampshire and Vermont, discover the superb coastline of Maine and enjoy an overnight stay in the delightful summer resort of Martha’s Vineyard.
This tour is perfect for travellers who want to discover the splendours of New England visiting all six states.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 12 nights in hotels of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- 4 breakfasts
- All excursions included
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guides
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Tour of Boston including the Freedom Trail
- Discover Ogunquit and the coast of Maine
- Visit the former ship-building town of Kennebunkport
- See the iconic lighthouse at Portland
- Explore Acadia National Park
- Bar Harbor and a cruise on the LuLu Lobster
- The White Mountains and Franconia Notch State Park
- Browse the shops and galleries of Woodstock
- Mark Twain House and Museum
- Tour Newport's famous mansions
- Martha's Vineyard visit
- Meet New World Pilgrims at Plimouth Plantation
- Cape Cod and Provincetown
- John F Kennedy Library and Museum
Please note for departures in 2019 the Lulu Lobster and entrance to The Breakers mansion are optional excursions, however 11 breakfasts are included.
- DAY 1 UK/Boston
- Today you'll fly to Boston. On arrival we'll transfer you to your hotel in the newly developed Seaport District.
- DAY 2 Boston & Ogunquit
- You'll see many of Boston's highlights on a sightseeing tour this morning. We'll travel along the famous Freedom Trail and visit Beacon Hill, Quincy Market and Cambridge, home of Harvard University. Later we'll head to Ogunquit, a charming beach town in southern Maine, where you'll find quaint shops and lively restaurants. Whilst you're here, be sure to take a walk along the Marginal Way footpath for fabulous views of the New England coast.
- DAY 3 Kennebunkport, Portland & Bar Harbor
- First settled in the 1600s, the seaport of Kennebunkport was known for its shipbuilding and today you'll see some of the town's mansions, built by wealthy captains. Later we'll visit Cape Elizabeth and you'll see Portland Head Light – Maine's oldest lighthouse. Enjoy some time to explore the waterfront of Portland before our journey continues to Bar Harbor.
- DAY 4 Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park
- On today's visit to Acadia National Park you'll see an incredible natural landscape of mountains and marshland, forest and rocky coast. The area is home to a variety of wildlife, so be sure to keep a lookout for whales, seals, peregrine falcons and more. Later spend some free time exploring the village of Bar Harbor. There are some lovely seafood restaurants here, so you'll have plenty of options for dinner this evening.
- DAY 5 Bar Harbor & Bethel
- This morning you'll enjoy a narrated cruise aboard the LuLu Lobster and see how the crew haul the lobster traps. Later we'll drive to Bethel.
- DAY 6 White Mountains & Fairlee
- You'll see glorious New Hampshire countryside today, as we travel through the White Mountains and along the Kancamagus Scenic Byway into Franconia Notch State Park. We'll make a stop at Flume Gorge, a natural granite valley where you can walk along an 800ft boardwalk with walls towering on either side. Our journey continues as we drive into Vermont and arrive at the town of Fairlee.
- DAY 7 Woodstock, Northampton & Hartford
- Your day begins with a visit to the quintessential New England Town of Woodstock. After time to explore the boutiques and galleries, we'll head into Massachusetts and stop for lunch in Northampton, a charming town nestled in the foothills of the Berkshires. Later we'll make our way to Hartford, Connecticut's state capital.
- DAY 8 Hartford & Newport
- Today you'll visit the house where Mark Twain lived with his family and wrote his most important works. Then you'll be able to shop for bargains when we stop at a Premium Outlet on our way to Newport, Rhode Island.
- DAY 9 Newport
- On today's tour of Newport, you'll visit the church where John F Kennedy married Jacqueline Bouvier and stroll through the narrow streets of the Old Town. You'll also see some of the summer homes built by America's wealthiest families in the late 19th century. We'll admire Rosecliff, where 'The Great Gatsby' and 'High Society' were filmed and see The Breakers, the most ostentatious mansion of them all. It was built by the Vanderbilt family and is a 70-room Italian Renaissance-style palazzo. Later you'll have some free time to explore Brick Marketplace and the waterfront.
- DAY 10 Martha’s Vineyard
- You'll take a ferry to Martha's Vineyard this morning. This delightful island is where celebrities and presidents, past and present, choose to take their holidays and we'll be staying overnight. We'll take a tour of the island's six small towns, which include elegant Edgartown and Oak Bluffs, with its colourful gingerbread cottages. Tonight you can soak up the atmosphere in the island's lively bars and restaurants.
- DAY 11 Plymouth & Hyannis
- After returning to the mainland by ferry, our journey continues north to Plymouth. You'll visit the Plimouth Plantation where, in a recreated 17th century village, you'll 'meet' the pilgrims who travelled to the New World on the Mayflower. Our journey continues to Hyannis, capital of Cape Cod.
- DAY 12 Cape Cod
- On today's journey you'll travel along the beautiful Cape Cod National Seashore and make a stop at Chatham, home to Chatham Light. You'll also have time to explore eclectic Provincetown, where the cafés are an ideal spot to enjoy lunch if you wish.
- DAY 13 Boston/UK
- You'll leave Cape Cod and head back to Boston this morning. You'll visit the John F Kennedy Library and Museum and have free time for lunch and last-minute shopping at historic Faneuil Hall. Later we will transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
- DAY 14 UK
- You'll arrive back in the UK today.
- Element Boston Seaport
- This hotel is ideally located with stylish, contemporary suites featuring city views, full kitchens and sitting areas, as well as complimentary Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. There''s also a heated indoor pool and a 24-hour fitness room
- The Meadowmere Resort
- Only a short walk from Ogunquit''s town center, this resort is a 15-minute walk from Ogunquit Beach. Rooms and suites feature free WiFi, TVs and air-conditioning. Amenities include a gym, a day spa, an indoor pool and a whirlpool, plus a seasonal outdoor pool and hot tub. Meals are available in a classic New England-style pub with a fireplace.
- Bluenose Inn
- Not far from Arcadia National Park the Bluenose Inn overlooks Frenchman Bay. Classic rooms in 2 buildings include free WiFi, 42-inch flat-screen TVs, minifridges and coffeemakers. The ocean-view restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner, and there''s also an elegant piano lounge. Other amenities include a spa, indoor and outdoor pools, a steam room and an exercise room, as well as a 24-hour business center.
- The Bethel Inn Resort
- Located at the foot of the White Mountains, this classic resort is adjacent to the Broad Street Historic District. Warmly furnished rooms feature free WiFi, coffeemakers and cable TVs. Amenities include multiple dining options, a golf course (fee), snowshoeing trails, rental canoes, a fitness center and an outdoor pool.
- Lake Morey Resort
- Formal rooms with classic Vermont-style decor offer complimentary WiFi, and satellite TV, while some add balconies and fridges. A lakeside restaurant serves American cuisine, and there''s a bar with live entertainment. Other amenities include a billiard room, indoor pool, tennis courts and a movie theatre.
- Hilton Hartford
- Rooms offer chic decor with minifridges, flat-screen TVs and free WiFi. Dining options include a bistro serving modern American cuisine, plus a cocktail lounge. Other amenities include a fitness center and a heated indoor pool.
- Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
- The ideally located Holiday Inn Express has plently of amenities including an indoor pool and 24-hour fitness/business centers. Rooms come with minifridges, microwaves, work desks, cable TV, in-room movies and free Wi-Fi.
- Summercamp Hotel
- Set in a 19th-century building overlooking Oak Bluffs Harbor, this hip, summer camp–inspired hotel is 7-minute walk from the ferry terminal and a 10-minute walk from Inkwell Beach. The chic, airy rooms are decorated with trendy, colorful furnishings, and feature free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and Bluetooth radios. Other amenities include loaner iPads, a retro-style snack cafe, a stylish lounge, and a game room with table tennis.
- Resort & Conference Center at Hyannis
- This modern resort is a 10-minute walk from local restaurants. Rooms have free WiFi, flat-screen TVs, fridges, coffeemakers, and private balconies or patios. There are indoor and outdoor pools, a spa and fitness club. Other amenities include a golf course, 2 bars, a cafe, a sports pub, and a restaurant open for breakfast.