Deluxe Swiss Railways
Travel through Switzerland’s untouched landscapes and stunning scenery on historic railways, discovering elegant towns, romantic castles and delicious cuisine. Embark the Bernina Express on a first-class return journey that takes you on the 100-year-old Bernina Line through St Moritz to Tirano in Italy, passing through 55 tunnels and crossing 196 bridges, as well as the Brusio viaduct. You’ll also journey on the world’s slowest express train, the Glacier Express, which takes you to Wengen in the heart of the Alps, and includes a three-course meal on-board. Your holiday continues with a train journey to Lauterbrunnen and Schilthorn, known as ‘007 Mountain’, to enjoy a martini and brunch in the 360° revolving restaurant. Finally, travel on the luxurious Golden Pass Classic Train to Montreux, enjoying a cruise on Lake Thun and a visit to romantic Spitz castle on the way, and stay at a deluxe 4-star hotel with fabulous lakes views.
Travel through Switzerland's untouched landscapes and stunning scenery on historic railways, discovering elegant towns, romantic castles and delicious local cuisine.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return direct flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 brunch, 1 lunch, 5 dinners and welcome drink
- Scenic train: Several iconic scenic rail journeys
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers, other transportation and porterage
- Audio Guide
- Travel on the Bernina Express to Tirano
- Travel on the Glacier Express to Brig
- Culinary village walk in Wengen
- Trummelbach Falls, '007 Mountain' and Mürren
- Schilthorn James Bond brunch
- Lake Thun cruise and Spiez Castle
- Take the Golden Pass train to Montreux
- Card giving free public transport in Montreux
- Farewell drink at your Montreux hotel
- Day 1 UK - Zurich
- Fly to Zurich today, and then we'll transfer you to Davos Platz and enjoy a welcome drink.
- Day 2 Bernina Express
- Your day begins as you board the Bernina Express for a first-class return journey on the Bernina Line – a UNESCO-listed railway that's more than 100 years old. You'll make your way from Davos through St Moritz and then across the border to Tirano in Italy. It's a thrilling route that passes through no fewer than 55 tunnels and crosses 196 bridges as well as the famous circular viaduct of Brusio. It also climbs the 2,253-metre Bernina Pass and passes through the Valtellina Valley in Italy. You will have some free time in Tirano to explore. Back in Davos later this afternoon, you are invited to join the maître d'hôtel for a glass of wine in the hotel's wine cellar.
- Day 3 Glacier Express
- Today you'll take a panoramic journey on the world's slowest express train, the Glacier Express. Again you'll be travelling first-class, and will be served a three-course lunch with wine as you wind your way through spectacular mountain scenery. You'll then continue by rail to the mountain resort of Wengen, which is beautifully located in the heart of the Alps.
- Day 4 Wengen
- You can get to know Wengen during a guided culinary walk this morning. You can then choose to spend the afternoon at leisure, or perhaps you'll come on an exciting optional trip. This takes you to Jungfraujoch – the 'Top of Europe' – for views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau summits. You'll take the Jungfrau Railway, which travels through a mountain tunnel and takes the steep climb to Jungfraujoch. Located at 3,454 metres above sea level, this is the highest railway station in Europe. What you'll see during two stops and from viewing platforms is an incredible world of rock, ice and snow on all sides.
- Day 5 Trümmelbach Falls & Schilthorn
- Your day is filled with exciting journeys, and the first takes you on a train ride to Lauterbrunnen. From here a Postbus – an iconic yellow Swiss bus – takes you to Trümmelbach Falls. You will then take the cable car to Birg to admire stunning vistas from its viewing platform. Then it's on to Schilthorn, known as the '007 Mountain'. On its 2,970-metre summit sits a revolving restaurant, Piz Gloria, which featured in the 1969 James Bond film 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'. You can enjoy a Martini here, shaken not stirred, of course, while you take in 360-degree views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains. Enjoy a brunch fit for James Bond at the 360-degree revolving restaurant where you'll enjoy delicacies and regional products against a magnificent backdrop. Your next cable car ride takes you to Mürren, a picturesque cliff-top village offering amazing views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Its well-prepared footpaths and the fact that it is car-free make it a delight to explore on foot. After plenty of time to do this we'll head back to the hotel, where there will be a Buddha-themed wellness experience in the pool area.
- Day 6 Wengen - Montreux
- The elegant town of Montreux is your destination today, and you'll reach it as you travel on two trains. A great way to break up our journey is with a cruise on Lake Thun. We're also going to visit romantic Spiez Castle, perched on a rocky outcrop on the lake's shores. Next you'll board the luxurious Golden Pass Classic Train. Your first-class ticket means you'll travel in complete comfort as you take in some of Switzerland's most beautiful scenery from your carriage. It's first-class all the way at your hotel too. Here, your deluxe room offers fabulous lake views.
- Day 7 Montreux - at Leisure
- Today you are free to explore at your leisure. Your holiday includes a Montreux Riviera Card, giving you free access to public transport as well as discounted entry to a number of attractions. Alternatively, you may wish to join your Tour Manager for an optional excursion. You'll travel by rail to Glacier 3000, which offers a breathtaking panoramic view of the Swiss Alps and a variety of attractions including a suspension bridge Peak Walk by Tissot, a walk over the glacier, and a tour with the snow bus. This is also the home to the Alpine Coaster - the world's highest bobsleigh track. At the hotel this evening, enjoy a drink on its terrace which overlooks Lake Geneva.
- Day 8 Geneva - UK
- Today we'll transfer you by train to Geneva airport for your return flight to the UK.
- Grischa DAS Hotel Davos
- Grischa DAS Hotel Davos is located in the centre of Davos Platz. Hotel amenities include five restaurants and a sun terrace. Guest rooms feature private facilities, TV, Wi-Fi, safe and hairdryer.
- Sunstar Alpine Hotel Wengen
- Sunstar Alpine Hotel is conveniently located in the centre of car-free village of Wengen. Facilities include a restaurant, bar and indoor swimming pool. Hotel rooms have private facilities, free Wi-Fi, TV, mini bar, safe and hairdyer.
- Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic
- Bedrooms feature en suite facilities, TV, Wi-Fi, air-conditioning and hairdryer. Located in the heart of the resort and built in a Belle Époque style, this hotel has many amenities including a bar and a restaurant.
- Jungfraujoch - The Top of Europe
- Glacier 3000 experience with lunch