Costa Rica And Nicaragua
Explore enchanting Costa Rica, where incredible highlights are Tortuguero National Park, Braulio Carrillo National Park and a journey across the Continental Divide. Breathtaking views of primary forest and incredible wildlife are the norm here, so look out for sloths, monkeys, crocodiles and more. You'll journey by boat amongst jungle-canopied canals, view the Arenal Volcano, and explore the Monteverde Cloud Forest, home to the incredibly vocal howler monkey! Next you head into colourful Nicaragua – an extraordinary land of volcanoes, lakes and colonial towns. Back in Costa Rica, the adventure continues as you delve into the El Viejo wetlands and hike to a biological reserve, both bursting with a diverse range of exotic flora and fauna.
Nature-lovers will be enchanted by these Central American gems boasting never-ending wonders, from wonderful wildlife to dramatic volcanoes.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- 14 nights in hotels of a good standard plus 1 night in flight
- 20 meals: 14 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Tour of San José, Costa Rica's vibrant capital
- Tortuguero National Park, including jungle cruises
- Enjoy views of the Arenal Volcano
- Explore Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
- Walking tour of Granada
- Explore the El Viejo Wetlands, home to extraordinary flora and fauna
- Spot wildlife in the Werner Sauter Biological Reserve
- Day 1 UK/San José
- Depart on your scheduled flight to San José. We will transfer you to your hotel on arrival.
- Day 2 San José
- Your adventure begins with a guided tour of San José, the capital of Costa Rica. We'll introduce you to sights such as the National Theatre and the Gold Museum. Then, when you have your bearings, the rest of the day is yours to do as you please.
- Day 3 Tortuguero National Park
- Today you're heading to Tortuguero National Park, which is home to an array of wildlife including monkeys, sloths, crocodiles and caymans. Our journey takes us through the Braulio Carrillo National Park and across the Continental Divide, where you'll take in breathtaking views of primary forests. Towards the end of your journey, we will transfer you to your lodge by boat. This afternoon you'll learn all about sea turtles when we visit the Tortuguero Village and the Caribbean Conservation Museum.
- Day 4 Tortuguero National Park
- There's a full day of activities ahead including, if conditions are right, two boat trips through jungle-sheltered canals.
- Day 5 Arenal Volcano
- We are going to leave Tortuguero National Park by boat and then drive to Muelle de San Carlos. This will be our base for the next three nights as we explore the area around the Arenal Volcano, which has been active since 1968.
- Day 6 Arenal Volcano
- Today is yours to spend at leisure. If you would prefer to join an organised excursion, we recommend an optional visit to the Hanging Bridges of Arenal and La Fortuna. There's also the option to enjoy a late afternoon trip to the Ecotermales Hot Springs with dinner.
- Day 7 Arenal Volcano
- Enjoy a relaxing morning or join an optional boat trip along the Peñas Blancas River. This afternoon there's a guided walk through the rainforest to look forward to.
- Day 8 Monteverde
- We're moving on to Monteverde today, a journey that takes us along scenic and sometimes bumpy roads! American Quakers set up the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve in the 1950s and now it's home many different species of birds and mammals, including the howler monkey. Lunch is included at a coffee farm along the way, and this afternoon we'll listen to a fascinating talk by a descendent of the original Quaker settlers. After a tour of Monteverde village we will transfer you to your hotel. Then, if you choose to join our optional excursion, there's a guided forest walk this evening.
- Day 9 Monteverde
- You will learn all about the cloud forest when we visit a nature reserve today. In the afternoon you can choose to join an optional excursion which gives you the chance to ride a zip line through the Monteverde Cloud Forest. This exhilarating trip will take you above and through the rainforest and is a truly exciting experience. There's even an optional Tarzan swing at the end if you're feeling really adventurous.
- Day 10 Granada
- You're bound for Nicaragua today, the largest country in Central America. Here we will discover an extraordinary landscape of volcanoes, lakes, mountains and colonial towns. We are going to explore a traditional white village this afternoon and then head to the elegant city of Granada.
- Day 11 Granada
- Granada sits on the shores of Lake Nicaragua, one of the largest and most beautiful lakes in the world. Today's walking tour will help you get your bearings and we'll also visit the fascinating Convento San Francisco Museum. You're free to do as you wish this afternoon. If you want to relax and soak up the atmosphere, an optional horse-drawn carriage ride and boat trip is hard to beat.
- Day 12 Granada, Masaya & Managua
- You've got another day to enjoy Granada at leisure. Alternatively, your Tour Manager will be hosting a full-day optional trip to Managua, the capital of Nicaragua. There will be a stop along the way at Masaya, where you can browse the colourful market. You'll also visit the Masaya Volcano National Park and, if conditions are right, we'll venture close to the smoking crater.
- Day 13 Guanacaste
- Today you'll cross the border back into Costa Rica, and head to the El Viejo wetlands. Here you'll visit the La Casona hacienda, where you can learn about the region's sabaneros, or cowboys. This historic house was previously owned by Anastasio Somoza, the former ruler of Nicaragua, as well as Próspero Fernández, his Costa Rican counterpart. We'll head out to explore the surrounding parkland, which is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna. The freshwater marsh here is an important feeding ground for around 60 species of resident and migratory water birds, including black-bellied whistling duck and blue-winged teal. It's also a wintering ground for migrants including hummingbirds, flycatchers, owls, falcons and many other species. Mammals to look out for include deer, monkeys, armadillos and jaguarundi. Keep your camera at the ready as we explore on a thrilling river cruise.
- Day 14 Guanacaste
- You'll see more exotic flora and fauna today on an included excursion to the Werner Sauter Biological Reserve, which was once a farm. Over two-and-a-half hours you'll hike through a mango plantation to this private reserve, eating mangoes as you go if you wish! Nature runs wild here and as you explore you'll not only see but feel and breathe this unique tropical dry forest as you learn about the plants and animals that thrive here, as well as the people who inhabited this land long before Christopher Columbus arrived in 1502. Afterwards you can spend some time on beautiful Samara Beach, with its white sands and aquamarine waters. We'll then return to your hotel, where you can spend the rest of the day at leisure.
- Day 15 San Jose
- After breakfast we'll transfer you to the airport in San José for your flight back to the UK.
- Day 16 UK
- You'll arrive in the UK today.
- Studio Hotel
- The 4-star Studio Hotel in San Jose is perfectly located, offering sweeping views of the surrounding Central Valley. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar, terrace and outdoor swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning and tea/coffee-making facilities.
- Pachira Lodge
- The lodge is positioned extremely close to the extraordinary Tortuguero National Park. The National Park is famed for the huge variety of biodiversity, as depicted by the 11 differing habitats, including rainforests, mangrove forests, swamps, beaches and lagoons.
- Tilajari Hotel Resort
- The 3-star Tilajari Resort in Muelle de San Carlos is perfectly located amid wonderful scenery near the San Carlos River. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar/lounge, three outdoor swimming pools and a fitness centre. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, safe, TV and hairdryer.
- Hotel Fonda Velal
- Hotel Fonda Vela is informal hillside hotel, located nearby Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve. It has its own beautiful gardens with a variety of places to go birdwatching. Each room is en-suite and has a TV, a minibar, satellite channels and a hairdryer. Hotel also features an indoor pool, a restaurant, a bar, WiFi access and a private parking.
- La Gran Francia
- The 3-star La Gran Francia Hotel is located right in the heart of the historical colonial city of Granada. Hotel facilities include a restaurant and swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, hairdryer and TV.
- Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
- Nammbu Beach Front Bungalows provides its guests with a stunning location, which complements its service and facilities perfectly. The outside pool area is surrounded by lush greenery and offers views of the beach. Free WiFi is available throughout the property and there is an in-house restaurant where both local and American inspired cuisine is served. The air conditioned and contemporarily styled rooms come furnished with private facilities, a fridge and a TV.
- Enjoy stunning views from the Hanging Bridges of Arenal
- Enjoy a boat trip along the picturesque Peñas Blancas River
- Visit the Ecotermales Hot Springs with dinner
- Visit Managua and Masaya Volcano National Park (subject to conditions)
- Ride a zip line through the Monteverde Cloud Forest