- Duration: 8 days
- Board Basis: Half Board
- Tour Ref: D2TTRAFICLS
- Travel Type: Air
- Excursions: 4
On this delightful Sicilian journey, you'll discover evocative landscapes sweeping down to pretty seaside towns, Roman villas overloaded with art treasures and Mount Etna, Europe's most imposing active volcano.
Brooding Mount Etna forms a dramatic backdrop to your discoveries as you revel in Roman history and uncover medieval treasures.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- 7 nights half-board in 4-star hotels
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Taormina with granita tasting
- Visit the Roman Villa del Casale
- Sicily's capital Palermo and Monreale cathedral
- The pretty fishing port of Cefalù
- DAY 1 UK/Catania
- Depart on your flight to Catania. On arrival, we'll transfer you to your hotel in the picturesque coastal village of Giardini Naxos, situated close to Taormina. You will stay here for three nights, so relax and settle in before enjoying dinner this evening.
- DAY 2 Taormina
- We're off to Taormina today, a fascinating town perched on a clifftop and overlooking two sweeping bays. After a stroll you can choose to visit the magnificent Greco-Roman theatre or simply soak up lovely views of the sea and the island's famous volcano, Mount Etna. Before we head back to the hotel we'll make a stop for a tasting of granita. This semi-frozen dessert originated here, comes in many delicious flavours and is utterly refreshing.
- DAY 3 Mount Etna
- It's Sicily's most famous attraction, its name known the world over, and today you can see Mount Etna up close if you join our optional excursion. You can ascend Europe's tallest active volcano by cable car to enjoy breathtaking views. You'll also have a further option to take a thrilling journey higher up the volcano in a 16-seater 4x4 vehicle in the company of an Alpine guide.
- DAY 4 Piazza Armerina
- We're going to head to our next base today, Campofelice di Roccella, near Cefalù, but not before the chance to revel in some Roman history. Our journey takes us to the 4th century Villa Romana del Casale, close to the town of Piazza Armerina. Here, excavations have revealed one of the world's richest and most complex collections of Roman mosaics. As you view them you'll be amazed by their excellent condition. Your hotel in Campofelice di Roccella features an extra-large swimming pool, a private beach and fantastic tropical gardens. Once you've unpacked why not head out for a stroll and explore your surroundings.
- DAY 5 Palermo & Monreale
- Your full day of discovery begins as you journey to UNESCO-listed Palermo, Sicily's vibrant capital. As you explore, your Local Guide will talk you through the city's wealth of architecture, which ranges in style from Arabic to Art Nouveau. There's time to browse the many outdoor markets selling everything from seafood to antiques, or perhaps you'll head to the Cappella Palatine chapel. The marble and gold mosaics inside are a real talking point. Our next stop today is the beautiful Monreale Cathedral, perched on a hilltop overlooking Palermo. Venture inside to wander its Romanesque cloisters and admire glittering Byzantine mosaics.
- DAY 6 Agrigento
- How you spend today is entirely up to you. Relax by the pool or on the beach, or maybe you'll join an optional excursion to Agrigento. This ancient town dates back to the 6th century and is a wonderful showcase of Sicily's Greek past. With a Local Guide you'll discover the Valley of the Temples, which is dramatically situated on a high ridge overlooking the sea. Explore the Temple of Concord, famed for its surprisingly well-preserved columns, and the Temple of Zeus, the largest to be built by the Greeks.
- DAY 7 Cefalù
- Today you'll head to nearby Cefalù, a pretty fishing port. There's lots to discover here, including its winding medieval streets, sandy beaches and one of Sicily's finest Norman cathedrals. If you peer inside you'll see some of the island's earliest and best-preserved mosaics, with the spectacular Christ Pantocrator above the altar, particularly memorable.
- DAY 8 Catania/ UK
- There's time to enjoy the facilities at your hotel a little longer before we transfer you to Catania for your return flight to the UK.
Please note: Entrance fees are not included. Approximate cost €45 per person paid locally.Only customers travelling on the 19th April 2018 will be staying at the Fiesta Sicilia Resort, all other customers will stay at the 4* Acacia Resort.
- Hotel Caesar Palace
- The 4-star Caesar Palace is ideally located in reach of Sicily.
Hotel facilities include a restuarant and a swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, mini-bar, hairdryer, tea/coffee-making facilities, safe and a TV.
- Acacia Resort
- The 4-star Acacia Resort is ideally located within Compodelice di Roccella on a pristine beach.
Hotel facilities include a restuarant, bar, a large swimming pool and lovely gardens. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, mini-bar, hairdryer and a TV.
- Ascend Mount Etna
- Visit the ancient town of Agrigento
Pre-bookable excursions: The above optional excursions can be pre-booked as a package from just £99 per person.Back to top