Christmas On The Sorrento Coast
Your base for this festive holiday is the lovely town of Vico Equense, on the Sorrento Peninsula. From here you can take in exceptional views of the Bay of Naples and the dramatic peak of Mount Vesuvius. Included excursions take you to the ruined city of Pompeii for a fascinating guided tour and the lively resort of Sorrento. On Christmas Day you'll enjoy a traditional festive lunch before experiencing Salerno's magical Luci D'Artista, a fabulous display of art. Spend Boxing Day in Caserta, where you'll discover the magnificent Royal Palace of Caserta, and you can choose to take a scenic tour of the stunning Amalfi Coast and the picturesque clifftop town of Ravello.
The ruins of Pompeii, Salerno's wonderful Luci D'Artista lights display and the Royal Palace of Caserta are just three of the highlights on this festive tour of the Sorrento Coast.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- 5 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 11 meals: 5 breakfasts, 1 traditional Italian Christmas Day lunch, 5 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers, other transportation and porterage
- Tour of Pompeii and Sorrento
- Experience the magical lights in Salerno
- The Royal Palace of Caserta and its gardens
- Medieval Casertavecchia
- Day 1 UK – Naples
- After your flight to Naples, we'll transfer you to the pretty town of Vico Equense, on the Sorrento Peninsula. Your hotel here offers fantastic views over the Bay of Naples towards Mount Vesuvius.
- Day 2 Christmas Eve Pompeii & Sorrento
- Today you'll visit the exceptional archaeological site of Pompeii, which we'll reach by train. This infamous Roman town was frozen in time by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD, when it was buried by hot ash. You're going to explore in great company, as a Local Guide leads you through its maze of streets. As you stroll you'll get a fascinating insight into the last days of the people who lived here. You'll see villas still decorated with brightly painted mosaics, Roman baths and even bakeries that still have their bread ovens and flour grinders intact.
After your visit and time for refreshments, we'll once again board a train, this time headed for the lively resort of Sorrento. During free time here you can take in breathtaking views of the surrounding scenery, enter one of the resort's fascinating museums or take a seat at a pavement café. The main square, Piazza Tasso, is the place to head if you want to watch the locals as they finish their Christmas shopping. You could pick up some last-minute gifts yourself - handmade leather goods and the famous limoncello liqueur are specialities here.
- Day 3 Christmas Day Salerno
- It's Christmas Day, so enjoy a leisurely morning before sitting down to a traditional Italian festive lunch at the hotel. Later, we'll make our way to Salerno. A walking tour will introduce us to the city's historic centre, its atmospheric Christmas market and the magical Luci D'Artista, or artists' lights. This spectacular display of art, which usually follows four themes, fills the streets, piazzas and gardens, and is an enchanting sight.
- Day 4 Boxing Day Caserta
- This morning you'll take a guided tour of the magnificent Royal Palace of Caserta and its beautiful fountain-filled gardens. This is said to be the world's largest Royal Palace, and during your tour you will see the Bourbon Nativity in the Royal Apartment.
Later, enjoy time at leisure to explore the enchanting medieval hamlet of Casertavecchia, adorned with Christmas lights.
- Day 5 Vico Equense – at Leisure
- You can spend today at leisure or perhaps you'll choose to join our optional excursion. First we'll drive along the scenic coastline to the picturesque town of Amalfi, which is beautifully situated between the mountains and the sea. Its impressive Romanesque cathedral is said to hold the remains of St Andrew, so maybe ascend the flight of steps and take a peek inside.
Our tour then continues to the clifftop town of Ravello, which is perched high above Amalfi and offers spectacular views. There's free time to look around Ravello at your own pace and maybe take in the wonderful gardens of Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo.
- Day 6 Naples – UK
- We will transfer you to the airport today for your flight back to the UK.
- Hotel Aequa
- The Aequa Hotel is in the heart of the little cliff-top town of Vico Equense and enjoys wonderful views over the Bay of Naples towards Vesuvius. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar and a swimming pool. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning and a TV. Please note: Outdoor pools are typically open between May and September.
- Discover the scenic Amalfi Coast and clifftop Ravello