Calabria - Italy's Hidden South
Discover Calabria, one of Italy’s hidden gems. Your hotel, set amidst magnificent grounds with views over the Mediterranean Sea, boasts an organic farm and a vineyard, as well as woodland, beautiful gardens and a private beach, so every day is guaranteed to begin and end with stunning surroundings, authentic cuisine and a relaxing atmosphere. Stroll the ancient streets of Belvedere, passing ornate Baroque balconies and archways en route to its magnificent castle, and discover the colourful streets of Diamante, adorned with murals by local artists. Join an optional tour to the town of Altomonte with its glorious architecture and climb the turrets of the Norman Tower for great views. Spend some time in the great outdoors at Sila National Park, home to snow-capped mountain peaks, lush pine forests and crystal-clear streams, or head to historic Cosenza, the region's main town, to see the Romanesque cathedral and the Baroque Teatro Rendano.
Discover rustic Calabria, one of Italy's hidden gems, where your hotel enjoys stunning sea views and boasts its own vineyard and farm.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Stansted with Ryanair
- 7 nights half-board in a 4-star hotel
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners and welcome drink
- Travelsphere Tour Manager
- Overseas transfers, other transportation and porterage
- Audio Guide
- Wi-fi on board your coach
- Guided walk in your hotel's grounds
- Enjoy a wine-tasting
- Visit the towns of Belvedere and Diamante
- Dinner at the Sbarra family restaurant
- Day 1 UK - Lamezia Terme
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Lamezia Terme in Calabria today. On arrival, we'll transfer you to your hotel in Cetraro, which offers amazing views over the Mediterranean Sea.
- Day 2 Cetraro
- Your sightseeing begins today before you have even left your hotel! It is set in magnificent grounds so a guided walk through its gardens and woodlands is a great way to get your bearings. Enjoy sea views as you make your way to the hotel's very own organic farm. This is where much of the excellent food you will enjoy during your stay is grown, and you'll have the chance to sample some delicacies right now. Next, we'll head to the hotel's crowning glory, its vineyards, where you'll gain insight into the wine-making process before a tasting of the fruity wines produced here. You can then take a walk with your host to learn more about the Calabrian way of life and this region in the deep south of Italy. With the rest of the day at leisure, perhaps make a beeline for the private beach, sit back and soak up the sun. If you discovered a favourite wine on today's vineyard visit, why not sip a glass at sunset on the hotel's pretty terrace.
- Day 3 Belvedere & Diamante
- We'll leave the hotel this morning for an inclusive trip to the delightful towns of Belvedere and Diamante. We'll stroll through the ancient streets of Belvedere, passing ornate Baroque balconies and archways en route to its castle, where magnificent mountain views await. Diamante is next, and here you'll see colourful streets adorned with murals by local artists. From the promenade look out to Cirella Island, once the haunt of pirates, and in the market be sure to buy some peperoncino. This chilli pepper is the town's speciality. There's time too, if you like, to stop at a café to sample an icy granita and watch the world go by. The evening sees us get the chance to experience some true Calabrian hospitality and cuisine, as the Sbarra family welcome us to their restaurant. The house and old olive mill are surrounded by the large organic garden where vegetables and fruit used at the restaurant are grown. You can watch the sunset from the terrace as you enjoy your meal cooked by the owner's wife using produce taken straight from the garden.
- Day 4 Cetraro - at Leisure
- The rest of your holiday has been left free for you to enjoy just as you wish. You'll have plenty of time to take advantage of your hotel's excellent facilities. They include a swimming pool, a nine-hole golf course and a private stretch of beach, so there's lots of things you can do. However, if you're keen to see more of Calabria, we have a range of optional excursions available, starting today with a trip to the town of Altomonte. There's glorious architecture and ancient churches to admire, and if you're feeling energetic, you can climb up to the turrets of the Norman Tower for great views. Finally there will be a visit at the Moliterno Liquor factory where we'll see their little museum and will taste some of the locally produced liquor.
- Day 5 Cetraro - at Leisure
- Enjoy a relaxing day today, exploring Cetraro at your own pace or soaking up the sun on the beach.
- Day 6 Cetraro - at Leisure
- If you've reached your peak of relaxation, our optional excursion will get you out and about in the great outdoors of Sila National Park. As you explore with a Local Guide you'll encounter snow-capped mountain peaks, lush pine forests, crystal-clear streams, and villages where time has seemingly stood still.
- Day 7 Cetraro - at Leisure
- If you want to continue your exploration of Calabria,be sure to come with us today on an optional visit to historic Cosenza. This isthe region's main town, and the Romanesque architecture of its cathedral andthe Baroque exterior of the exquisite Teatro Rendano are worth the trip alone.It's a great place too for shopping, so you might want to pick up somelast-minute souvenirs.
- Day 8 Lamezia Terme - UK
- Your holiday comes to an end today as you head to the airport for your return flight to the UK.
- Grand Hotel San Michele
- The Grand Hotel San Michele is a wonderful 4-star family run hotel full of charming Mediterranean elegance. It is located close to the town of Cetraro nestled within the cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian Sea, with views spanning as far as the Aeolian Islands.
As well as being situated within the cliffs offering wonderful views, the hotel is surrounded by over 40 hectares of organic farm - home to the local produce provided. The farm at the San Michele is made up of three vineyards, orchards and a vegetable garden. The unique organic farm provides the hotel with fantastic daily produce including fruit, vegetables, milk, cheese, eggs, olive oil and home-made jams. The vineyards produce red, white and rosé wines along with a selection of homemade liquors such as Grappa. The hotel pride themselves on serving seasonal and fresh produce, as well as displaying wonderful seasonal flowers within the hotel.
Not only are you able to enjoy the local organic produce, you can also walk on the farm and surrounding woods for the chance to spot some of the wildlife. As well as exploring the farm and woods, you can also enjoy a game of golf on the 9-hole golf course. If you prefer, you can relax on the private beach or sip a local glass of wine on the terrace. Hotel facilities also include a swimming pool, two restaurants and a piano bar. There are around 60 bedrooms, each with its own individual charm and private facilities, air-conditioning and TV.
- 2 restaurants
- Three large terraces
- Swimming pool
- Golf course
- Private beach
- Private facilities
- Tour of the Calabrian town of Altomonte
- Walk amongst Sila's giants at the National Park
- Visit historic Cosenza