America's Glorious West
Experience some of the most incredible natural and man-made wonders on our ultimate tour of the west. Starting in Los Angeles, you'll see highlights including the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the TCL Chinese Theatre and have the chance to visit Universal Studios. Enjoy the glitz and glamour of Palm Springs, then take a journey through the Arizona Desert. A visit to the Grand Canyon is an amazing trip of a lifetime, and an optional helicopter flight comes highly recommended. You'll travel along a section of Route 66 to the neon-lit wonderland of Las Vegas before heading back to California through the Mojave Desert. The highlights keep on coming as you explore Yosemite National Park, cross San Francisco's famous Golden Gate Bridge, journey along 17 Mile Drive and take in glorious scenery en route to Long Beach.
Experience some of the most incredible natural and man-made wonders on our ultimate tour of the west.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic
- 13 nights in hotels of a great quality plus 1 night in flight
- 9 breakfasts
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Tours of Los Angeles and San Francisco
- Orientation tour of Palm Springs
- The Grand Canyon
- Enjoy the glitz of Las Vegas
- Explore Yosemite National Park
- Enjoy a stop in pretty Sausalito
- Monterey and Carmel
- 17 Mile Drive
- Drive along the Californian Coastline
- Day 1 UK/Los Angeles
- Depart on your scheduled flight to Los Angeles. On arrival we'll transfer you to your hotel, the base for your explorations of this exciting city.
- Day 2 Los Angeles
- Once infamous for its smog, LA couldn't be more different these days, with plenty of green, open spaces and some of the most impressive sights of any Californian city. Your morning tour will give you the chance to experience many of its highlights including Hollywood, where you'll see brass stars embedded in the sidewalk along the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the famous Hollywood sign and the TCL Chinese Theatre. Here you'll be able to admire celebrity handprints, footprints and autographs etched into the concrete. Head along Sunset Boulevard, and look out for celebrity homes in Beverly Hills. If you've always dreamed of visiting Universal Studios, why not come with us on an optional tour this afternoon. There's so much to see and do here, from thrilling rides to a behind-the-scenes tour.
- Day 3 Palm Springs
- This morning you arrive in the desert oasis of Palm Springs, located at the base of the San Jacinto Mountains. Hollywood movie stars have been coming here for years and you'll soon see why on a short orientation tour. With its tree-lined boulevards and luxury hotels, there's a sense of glamour at every turn. What's more, it boasts more than 300 days of sunshine a year. During a free afternoon you can make your own discoveries or simply relax by the pool.
- Day 4 Flagstaff
- Sit back and take in the views today, as a long but rewarding journey takes you through the Arizona Desert to Flagstaff. As the road stretches out for miles in front of you, admire the landscape of red sand, dramatic rock formations and towering cactus plants.
- Day 5 Grand Canyon
- This is the day you visit a natural wonder that's on every traveller's wish list, the iconic Grand Canyon. Over a mile deep in parts and more than 14 miles wide, it stretches for an incredible 277 miles from end to end. Its scale is simply immense, and as you try to take it all in, you'll be mesmerised by the different colours of the rock. There are several different ways to view this spectacular gorge, including plenty of walking trails and scenic viewpoints. One of the best ways is, however, by air, and our optional helicopter flight gives you the chance to enjoy this thrilling experience.
- Day 6 Las Vegas
- You're going off in search of man-made wonders today. Travelling along a section of Route 66, you'll pass the immense Hoover Dam. This impressive feat of engineering was built in 1935 to provide hydroelectric power to California and Arizona, and is still one of the country's largest power plants. Declared a National Historic Landmark, it straddles the Arizona-Nevada border and towers more than 725 feet above the Colorado River, making it one of the world's tallest dams. Later you'll arrive in the desert city of Las Vegas, which is stunning at night when it's illuminated by colourful neon lights.
- Day 7 Las Vegas
- You can spend today exploring Las Vegas at your own pace. Just walking up and down the famous Strip will keep you entertained for hours. The hotels lining it really have the wow factor and come in all shapes and sizes. Spectacular sights include dancing fountains and a volcano that comes alive at night spewing fire and steam. You can stroll past a replica of the Great Sphynx of Giza or take a gondola ride on Las Vegas' version of Venice's Grand Canal. Step inside the hotels to discover a host of fantastic attractions ranging from shopping malls, cinemas and casinos to rollercoasters, theatres and even a shark aquarium. If you want to catch a show, join our optional excursion to see 'The Beatles Love' by Cirque du Soleil.
- Day 8 Selma
- We head back to California today on a journey that takes us through the Mojave Desert, named after its original inhabitants, the Mohave tribe of Native Americans. Extending over 25,000 square miles, it is bordered by mountain ranges and is home to a wide variety of cacti. The most prominent plant species, however, is the Joshua tree, a spiky evergreen whose striking sight has made it a symbol of the desert. Few species of animal can survive in the harsh conditions here, but those that have adapted include the California desert tortoise, coyote, desert iguana, hummingbird and the western diamond rattlesnake.
- Day 9 Yosemite National Park
- Today you're going to visit Yosemite National Park. In contrast to the dry deserts of previous days, here you'll see an abundance of waterfalls and lakes. Enjoy some free time to discover Yosemite Falls - one of the world's tallest waterfalls, and learn about the native Miwok Indians at the Indian Cultural Museum. As you explore the park, keep a look out for wildlife – you might see coyotes, falcons and even bears. Our journey then continues to the Gold Rush town of Mariposa.
- Day 10 San Francisco
- Our sights are set on the vibrant city of San Francisco today. On the way we'll stop in the pretty city of Sausalito, where you might choose to enjoy lunch. Our afternoon begins with the excitement of crossing the famous Golden Gate Bridge. Your tour of San Francisco then takes in numerous sights, from the iconic cable cars to the colony of sea lions in residence at Fisherman's Wharf.
- Day 11 San Francisco
- Today you can set your own pace as you explore at leisure. Your hotel is in a great position, in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf, so everything is within easy reach. You could take a stroll to Chinatown, where Grant Avenue is the city's oldest street, or take a cable car to see the sights. You can also choose from a range of optional excursions. On offer is a helicopter ride over the city and under the bridge, or you might want to take to the water. The chance to sail by the former prison island of Alcatraz as you enjoy a cruise is just one recommendation.
- Day 12 San Luis Obispo
- There's a wonderful journey ahead today as we travel along 17 Mile Drive. Described as one of the most scenic drives in the world, the road winds its way through a forest of Cypress trees and along a dramatic stretch of rocky coastline dotted with fine sandy beaches. As we make our way to San Luis Obispo, we'll stop at the waterfront city of Monterey and then at Carmel-by-the-Sea, with its lovely white-sand beach.
- Day 13 Long Beach
- You'll experience even more beautiful scenery today as we head to Long Beach, where we'll stay in unique accommodation, the Queen Mary, which is moored here and has been turned into a fabulous hotel. Our drive takes us along the Pacific Coast, where gorgeous beaches and majestic mountains offer stunning views, so relax and take it all in.
- Day 14 Los Angeles/UK
- Today we'll transfer you to the airport in Los Angeles ready for your flight back to the UK.
- Day 15 UK
- You'll arrive in the UK today.
- Hilton Garden Inn Burbank Downtown
- This hotel has a lot to offer to its guests, relaxed rooms feature en-suite facilities, free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. Additional facilities include microwaves, minifridges and coffee-making facilities. Amongst other hotel facilities guests can find a restaurant, a gym and an outdoor swimming pool surrounded by a sundeck with loungers.
- Palm Mountain Resort & Spa
- The Palm Mountain Resort has an ideal setting in downtown Palm Springs, amongst some great restaurants, shops and boutiques.
Hotel facilities include an outdoor pool (typically open from May-Sept) and a spa. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning and a TV.
- Doubletree by Hilton Flagstaff
- The Doubletree by Hilton Flagstaff boasts a lovely location near downtown Flagstaff.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant, lounge/bar, outdoor swimming pool and fitness centre. Bedrooms have private facilities, TV, air-conditioning, iron and coffee-maker.
- Harrah's Las Vegas
- Harrah’s Las Vegas Hotel & Casino is situated at the heart of the Las Vegas strip.
With a range of different restaurants to choose from you’ll be spoilt for choice at this hotel. From a Steak house, to a Bar and Grill, and even an Oyster Bar. The hotel also has a Starbucks.
Why not enjoy a drink at the hotel bar if you want to unwind after exploring all day, the hotel bars have a choice of beers and cocktails for you to choose from. Or enjoy a poolside cocktail while you enjoy the warmer climates by the outdoor swimming pool if you choose to opt for some relaxation during your time here.
All hotel rooms are furnished with a mini-bar and a TV.
Other hotel facilities include: • Shops • Salon, located at the spa • Ben & Jerrys ice-cream parlour • Casino • Fitness centre with gym • Hotel bars
- Holiday Inn Selma - Swancourt
- The Swan Court Holiday Inn Hotel is situated in Selma.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant and a lounge. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, hairdryer, complimentary Wi-Fi, tea/coffee-making facilities and a TV.
- Best Western Plus Yosemite Way Station Motel
- Situated close to Yosemite and Sierra's and in a fantastic small town location. Hotels facilities and amenities include a outdoor swimming pool, spa, airport shuttle, Wi-fi and private room facilities.
- Hotel Zephyr San Francisco
- Hotel Zephyr is positioned in San Francisco's premier shopping, dining, and entertainment district; Fisherman's Wharf. Staying at the Hotel Zephyr makes it easy for you to explore the very best attractions of the San Francisco Bay Area. The hotel is one city block in size and is set between Beach Street and Jefferson Street on East-West Streets and between Mason and Powell Streets North-South. Guests can walk across the street to explore the world-famous Pier 39 to see the historic Alcatraz Island and the Golden Gate Bridge in one seamless panoramic view. Or walk two blocks to catch a quick cable car ride to Union Square, North Beach, or Chinatown.
- La Cuesta Inn
- La Cuesta Inn in San Luis Obispo is close to several beaches and within walking distance of the tempting boutique shops of downtown San Luis Obispo.
Hotel facilities include an outdoor pool (typically open May-Sept) and a lift. Bedrooms have private facilities, TV and Wi-Fi.
- Queen Mary
- You''re in for an incredible experience as you stay aboard the famous Queen Mary, a retired British ocean liner built by the Cunard Line in the 1930s and now permanently moored in Long Beach. As you enjoy this unique accommodation you''ll find yourself transported back in time as you get a glimpse of luxury ocean travel of a bygone era. You''ll also be following in the footsteps of some prestigious passengers including royals such as the Queen Mother, Edward VII and Wallis Simpson, and stars of the silver screen from Bing Crosby and Clark Gable to Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn. Among the exceptional facilities on board you will find a fitness centre and spa and a selection of boutiques and shops. There is a wonderful range of dining options including Sir Winston''s Restaurant & Lounge, the Chelsea Chowder House & Bar and the Promenade Café. And for guests on the go, there''s the Midship Marketplace, offering a great selection of breakfast items. Sip a cocktail in the Observation Bar, formerly the ship''s first-class lounge, or perhaps head to the wine room for a tasting. The Art Deco-style state rooms boast authentic wood panelling, original artwork from the 1930s and functioning portholes. Each has its own distinct personality and features private facilities, air-conditioning, TV, iron/ironing board and hairdryer.
- Discover Universal Studios – the ultimate Hollywood experience
- Palm Springs Tram
- Experience Las Vegas by night tour
- Dinner and Cirque Du Soleil show in Las Vegas
- Mob Museum in Las Vegas
- Take an amazing flight over the Grand Canyon
- Enjoy a helicopter flight over San Francisco
- 'Escape from the Rock' cruise around Alcatraz
Pre-bookable excursions: Universal Studios, Las Vegas by night and 'Escape from the Rock' cruise can be pre-booked as a package.Back to top