A Taste Of Medieval Italy
Northern Italy is renowned for its many historic and artistic treasures, which you will uncover on this enlightening holiday. From your base in the resort of Lido degli Estensi, explore Bologna with its beautiful medieval centre and enjoy a guided tour of the UNESCO-listed town of Ferrara. You'll also visit Dozza, said to be one of the 100 most beautiful villages in Italy.
Northern Italy is renowned for its many historic and artistic treasures, which you will uncover on this enlightening holiday.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 7 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 11 meals: 7 breakfasts, 4 dinners
- Travelsphere Tour Manager and Local Guide
- Overseas transfers and other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Wi-Fi on board your coach
- Discover the beautiful town of Bologna
- Explore medieval Ferrara
- Explore the artists' town of Dozza
- Day 1 UK/Bologna
- After your flight to Bologna we'll transfer you to your hotel in the resort of Lido degli Estensi. A drink is waiting to welcome you before you enjoy dinner here tonight.
- Day 2 Dozza
- Today your included excursion will take you to medieval Dozza, which is renowned as one of the 100 most beautiful villages in Italy. Set on a hill and home to an imposing fortress, you'll explore its cobbled streets in the company of your Tour Manager and a Local Guide.Once every two years, many stunning murals are painted on the walls of houses in its historic centre. This event, the Biennale del Muro Dipinto, attracts artists from all over the world, who turn the village into a lovely open-air gallery.
- Day 3 San Marino
- The choice is yours today – you can spend the day at leisure at your hotel or the nearby beach, or join a full-day optional excursion. This is your chance to visit one the world's smallest countries, and possibly its oldest republic, San Marino. Enjoy a walking tour of its fortified historic centre, located on a mountain top, and wander winding cobblestone streets. From here, the views of the surrounding countryside and the Adriatic Sea are simply stunning. In the early afternoon your tour takes you to the charming town of Santarcangelo di Romagna to visit the Collina dei Poeti farm. It occupies a beautiful setting and is surrounded by ancient cypress trees, olive groves and a vineyard which grows Sangiovese grapes. We'll taste a variety of local produce here and get to sample some lovely wines.
- Day 4 Bologna
- After breakfast you're going to head to Bologna, where in the company of a Local Guide, you'll explore its beautiful medieval centre. One of the largest in Europe, it is home to many fine palaces, churches and arcades. There's plenty of free time here too, and your Tour Manager will be able to help you find a restaurant if you want a stop for lunch. Bolognese sauce originated here, so it would be a shame not to sample this local speciality. Another recommendation is a Spritz – a favourite aperitif in Northern Italy.
- Day 5 Padua
- You can enjoy a day at leisure in Lido degli Estensi, or if you'd like to explore further afield, we offer two fantastic optional excursions. You could join a trip to Padua, which is thought to be the oldest city in Northern Italy. During a sightseeing tour here you'll see its ancient university, founded in 1222, and the 13th century Basilica of St Anthony. Another option today is to enjoy a relaxing cruise on the River Po Delta, with lunch included as you sail. Much of the Po Delta is protected and the region is known for its abundance of wild birds, so look out for purple herons, cormorants and more.
- Day 6 Ferrara
- You'll be let into one of Italy's best-kept secrets on today's included tour, as you discover the UNESCO-listed Renaissance town of Ferrara. Your Local Guide will escort you through a maze of winding streets, pointing out numerous palaces dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries. You can also stroll along the ancient red-brick city walls before we head to Castello Estense. You'll step inside this moated medieval castle, where highlights include the state apartments and the dungeons - said to be daubed with markings made by those imprisoned here.
- Day 7 Ravenna
- Today is free for you to make your own discoveries. Alternatively, you may wish to join an optional trip to Ravenna to view some of its famous Byzantine art on a morning tour. You'll visit the UNESCO-listed Basilica di San Vitale, Basilica di Sant'Apollinare Nuovo and the Galla Placidia Mausoleum, where you'll see glittering 5th and 6th century mosaics. After your sightseeing, you can try one of Ravenna's regional dishes, piadina. This traditional flatbread served with cheese will give you all the energy you need to explore further at your own pace.
- Day 8 Lido degli Estensi/UK
- Today we'll transfer you to the airport for your return flight to the UK.
- Hotel Plaza
- Hotel Plaza is a 4-star hotel in the resort of Lido degli Estensi, north of Ravenna. Located just a few steps from the seafront, your hotel features a restaurant, lounge and garden terrace. Guest rooms have en suite facilities, air-conditioning, TV and safe.
- Visit the enchanting town of Padua or enjoy a relaxing cruise on the River Po Delta, with lunch included (cruise is seasonal)
- Visit San Marino and Santarcangelo di Romagna with wine-tasting
- Explore UNESCO-listed Ravenna and try traditional flatbread
Pre-bookable excursions: The above optional excursions can be pre-booked as a package from just £106.Back to top