Walking In The Algarve At Christmas
Discovering the beautiful beaches, hills and clifftops of Portugal's sunny Algarve is best done on foot – and you'll do just that on this festive holiday. Setting off on a different walk each day, you'll take in incredible views of fabulous countryside, dramatic sea caves and rugged headlands. You'll also celebrate Christmas in style with a gala dinner served with wine.
Discovering the beautiful beaches, hills and clifftops of Portugal's sunny Algarve is best done on foot – and you'll do just that on this festive walking holiday.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host & Local Walking Guide
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- 6 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 12 meals: 6 breakfasts, 6 dinners including festive Christmas dinner with wine & a welcome drink
- Overseas transfers, other transportation & porterage
- Walk along a trail north of Silves
- Walk to Ponte da Piedade & Lagos
- Barão de São João walk
- Praia da Rocha walk
- Walking in Sagres & Cabo de São Vicente
- Day 1 UK - Praia da Rocha
- Today you'll fly to Faro and on arrival we will transfer you to your hotel in Praia da Rocha. The hotel faces out onto the golden sand and the rest of the day is yours to settle into your room and explore your surroundings. Get to know your fellow travellers this evening over a welcome drink and dinner.
- Day 2 Silves
- Walk 10km/6.2mi - 3 hoursOur walk today will take in the beautiful area to the north of Silves as we join a trail which passes through rolling hills and green valleys. Expect incredible views across the countryside, and hopefully pleasant weather - the Algarve is blessed with a year-round mild climate.
Later, we'll find ourselves at a historic hilltop windmill, where we can gaze down to the ancient Castle of Silves below. We'll then continue through a landscape dotted with charming smallholdings where farmers will be going about their daily business. We'll finish back in Silves, where the local cafés will be the perfect place for a rest and a snack if you're hungry.
- Day 3 Ponte da Piedade & Lagos
- Walk 11km/6.8mi - 3 1/2 hoursA good breakfast will set you up for today's walk to the charming village of Luz, from where we'll follow the coastal path to Lagos. Along the way, you'll have the choice of making a detour to Ponta da Piedade to see the dramatic sea caves here. Lagos can trace its history back to the Roman Empire, so on arrival look for fascinating relics such as the 5th century town walls and the ruins of an ancient slave market. The pretty marina is a draw for visitors and locals alike, and it's a great place for us to stop for a drink.
- Day 4 Christmas Eve, Barão de São João
- Walk 8km/5mi - 2.5 hoursAfter breakfast this morning, we'll head inland for our walk. We'll make a stop at the picturesque village of Barão de São João, which is situated next to a tranquil forest.
- Day 5 Christmas Day, Praia da Rocha
- Walk 9km/5.6mi - 3 hoursIt's Christmas Day and after breakfast we're going to set off on a walk through some of the Algarve's most scenic landscapes. Our route takes us along the coast, past sandy shores and rugged headlands to Praia da Rocha's sweeping stretch of golden sand. This incredible beach is a haven for wildlife with its steep colourful cliffs and jagged rock formations.
Back at the hotel, we'll celebrate Christmas together with a gala dinner and wine.
- Day 6 Boxing Day, Sagres & Cabo de São Vicente
- Walk 7.6km/4.7mi - 2 hoursOur final day in the Algarve is sure to be full of highlights as we head to Sagres, whose dramatic landscape features jutting cliffs, wild seas and wide-open skies. It's from here that explorers during the Age of Discovery set off on voyages across the Atlantic Ocean, so you can stand in their footsteps today. Enjoy a stop at Cabo de São Vicente, whose bleakly beautiful cliffs mark the most westerly point in the Algarve. One look and you'll understand why it was once thought that the world stopped here. We'll gather once more back at the hotel for a farewell dinner.
- Day 7 Praia da Rocha - UK
- After breakfast we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Jupiter Algarve Hotel
- Your hotel is located just a short stroll from the golden sands of Praia da Rocha. Facilities include a bar, restaurant, gym, spa, outdoor and indoor swimming pools, nightly live entertainment and free Wi-fi. Guest Rooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, TV, mini-bar and hairdryer.