Walking In Northern Cyprus
- Duration: 9 days
- Board Basis: Mixed Board
- Tour Ref: D2TJUSSECYFW
- Travel Type: Air
- 3 star hotel
- Excursions: 9+
This holiday to Northern Cyprus begins with a visit to Kyrenia town and its 16th century castle. It includes a guided walk through picturesque countryside to the Five Finger Mountains and village of Bellapais, and a second walk through a grove of ancient olive trees. After visiting the Maronite village of Korucam, we'll watch as a Cypriot family cooks a selection of local dishes for us to enjoy. Then, if you want to explore some more, there's optional trips to Famagusta, Salamis and Nicosia.
Cyprus is a beautiful island of spectacular landscapes and gorgeous beaches. Stroll amongst the Kyrenia Mountains, discover fascinating churches and explore picturesque villages and walled towns on this scenic walking tour.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- 7 nights half board in a 4-star hotel
- 16 meals: 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 7 dinners
- Specialist Local Guide
- Welcome drink
- 2 guided walks
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Kyrenia castle & harbour
- Five Finger Mountains walk & Bellapais
- The Kalkanli olive trees, Korucam & cookery demonstration
- Day 1 UK to Larnaca
- After flying to Larnaca we will transfer you to your hotel.
- Day 2 Kyrenia Castle
- On today's included excursion we'll head into Kyrenia town to discover its well-preserved 16th century castle and enjoy a stroll around the charming harbour. This afternoon has been left free for you to spend as you wish. Maybe you'll relax by the pool and soak up the sunshine.
- Day 3 Five Finger Mountains & Bellapais
- Walk 14km/9mi - 3hrsOur walk today takes us through picturesque countryside to the Kyrenia Mountains, also known as the Five Finger Mountains. Eventually we'll reach the village of Bellapais to see the ruins of its 13th century monastery, a fine example of Renaissance Gothic architecture. Along the way we'll find a shady spot to stop and enjoy our picnic lunch.
- Day 4 Famagusta & Salamis
- Famagusta is an intriguing walled city, with plenty of fascinating sights. Why not join our optional excursion here today, which also includes a visit to the ancient ruins of Salamis, one of the most important archaeological sites in Cyprus. Once a flourishing Roman City, excavations have revealed a gymnasium, baths, an amphitheatre and more.
- Day 5 Kalkanli olive trees, Korucam & cookery demonstration
- Walk 6km/4mi - 2hrs 30 mins After breakfast, we will drive to Kalkanli, where the ancient olive trees are amongst the oldest in Northern Cyprus. Our walk takes us through the olive grove, where nearly 2,000 impressive trees grow. Many are believed to have stood for more than 500 years, with the oldest being up to 900 years old. Next we'll head to Korucam, an important Maronite village. The island's Maronite people are of Arabic origin and practise their own form of the Catholic religion. We'll take a walk around the village, see the old church and have a look inside a village house. As we return to the hotel we'll make a stop to take in breathtaking views of Gecitkoy Reservoir, which is supplied by water pumped from Turkey via an undersea pipeline. Back at the hotel, we'll watch as a Cypriot family cook corek, a type of olive bread, and a selection of local dishes for us to enjoy.
This afternoon is yours to relax at leisure, or if you're feeling energetic, you could take a walk on the Lapta Coastal Path.
- Day 6 Esentepe to Antiphonitis Church walk
- Walk 12km/7mi - 4hrs Start today's optional walk in the village of Esentepe, which offers lovely views of the island as well as the chance to spot wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for sightings of birds, butterflies and lizards. The walk concludes at Antiphonitis Church, part of a former monastery, where we'll enjoy a picnic.
- Day 7 Nicosia
- The capital of Cyprus, Nicosia is split in two by the 'Green Line' dividing the Turkish and the Greek Cypriot communities. During this optional excursion we'll discover the Old Town, which is a picturesque combination of 16th century walls, pavement cafés and charming squares.
After an included lunch you may choose to cross the border to South Cyprus. Our tour ends with a visit to the House of the Dragoman, one of the most important examples of the region's 18th century urban architecture.
- Day 8 Larnaca to UK
- We'll transfer to the airport today for our flight back to the UK.
- Hotel Sempati
- Your hotel is located about 10 miles from Kyrenia, reachable by public shuttle, in a tranquil setting overlooking the sea. Every room has a sea view and overlooks the swimming pool and gardens. The beach is about 100 metres away. Facilities include a restaurant, lounge bar, swimming pool and garden. Guest rooms have private facilities, balcony, mini-bar, TV, air-conditioning, hairdryer, safe and tea/coffee-making facilities.
- Discover the Old Town of Nicosia
- Visit Famagusta & explore the ancient ruins of Salamis
- Walk from Esentepe to Antiphonitis Church