Walking In Malta & Gozo
Discover the very best of Malta and her sister island Gozo from the picturesque resorts of St Paul's Bay and Marsalforn. During included and optional walks you'll explore historic sites, iconic landmarks and beautiful natural wonders.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Heathrow with Air Malta
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels
- 13 meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 5 dinners
- Specialist Local Guide
- Welcome drink
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Walk from Victoria Lines to Valletta
- Experience the saluting battery at Barrakka Gardens
- Explore the fishing village of Marsaxlokk
- Walk from Dingli Cliffs to the Blue Grotto
- Panoramic tour of Gozo
- Gozo temples & cave walk
- Farewell folklore dinner
- Day 1 UK to Malta
- You'll fly to Malta today, and on arrival, we'll transfer you to your hotel, located in picturesque St Paul's Bay. Once you've settled in, meet up with your travelling companions and your Tour Manager and head off on a tour of the area. Back at the hotel, we'll gather for a welcome drink before dinner.
- Day 2 Victoria Lines to Rabat & Valletta
- Walk 10km/6.2 miles – 2.5 hours
A good breakfast will set us up for today's walk of just over six miles. First we'll journey by road to the Victoria Lines. These fortified defensive walls dividing Malta in two were built by the British and completed in Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee year, 1897. The trail along the walls is one of the most spectacular and peaceful on the island.
The section we will walk along takes us from Targa Gap to Bingemma Valley and then on to the outskirts of Rabat, Malta's old capital city.
We've the chance to rest our legs now as we are picked up by coach and taken to Valletta, Malta's modern-day capital, which was built by the Knights of St John. We'll head up to the Barrakka Gardens, laid out on part of the city's old fortifications. From here we'll get great views of the city's famous Grand Harbour, and we'll also be here in time to watch the saluting battery, when eight replica cannons are fired over it. You can take a stroll to admire the city's ancient architecture, and maybe find a spot for lunch before we visit The Malta Experience. This audio-visual show tells the story of the island's 7,000-year history, with moving seats, water sprays and air blasts adding a touch of fun.
- Day 3 Walk from Dingli Cliffs to Blue Grotto & Marsaxlokk
- Walk 10km/6.2 miles – 2.5 hours
A lovely scenic walk awaits us today, as we head to the Dingli Cliffs on Malta's western coast. From the island's highest point we'll walk to the site of the Blue Grotto, a system of caves carved by waves, surrounded by impossibly blue waters. Our next call is the pretty fishing town of Marsaxlokk, where you'll see colourful luzzus moored in the harbour. These traditional boats date back to the time the Phoenicians landed on the island. Before we head back to our hotel, we'll stop off at the Ta'Qali Crafts Village, where you can watch glass-blowers at work and shop for souvenirs.
This evening perhaps join our optional excursion to Mdina, which we'll reach via a journey on a charming vintage bus. We'll be whisked even further back in time as we stroll around this fortified hilltop town. Its limestone streets are lit by lamplight and lined by Norman and Baroque architecture, and its narrow alleyways call out to be explored, so off you go during free time here.
- Day 4 North west coast walk & harbour cruise
- Walk 9km/5.6 miles – 2.5 hours
Today has been left free for you to spend as you wish. Your hotel is located in the heart of vibrant St Paul's Bay and boasts a rooftop swimming pool and a spa, so you have plenty of options.
However, if you want to get out and about again, you can join an optional walk which begins at Saint Agatha's Tower in Mellieha. Also known as the Red Tower, it was built in 1647 for communication purposes between Malta and Gozo.
From here, we'll walk to the natural harbour of Mellieha Bay and past Popeye Village which was created as a film set for the 1980 movie 'Popeye' starring Robin Williams.
Our next destination is Golden Bay, a lovely sandy beach - quite rare in Malta - and a great place for us to take a break. You can just sit and admire the sea views, or if you fancy a spot of lunch, there are cafes and restaurants nearby. Our excursion comes to an end in Sliema. From here, we'll board a boat and take a relaxing cruise around the famous Grand Harbour, with an onboard commentary bringing the island's past to life.
- Day 5 Gozo
- After breakfast in our hotel in Malta, we're going to head to our new base on the sister island of Gozo. We'll reach this tiny island via a short ferry crossing, and as we get closer, take in lovely views of the Ta'Pinu Basilica watching over its pretty harbour.
Our tour here will take in the basilica, a famous pilgrimage site, and as you travel you'll notice how green the island is compared to Malta.
After a stop for lunch we'll head to our hotel, perfectly located in the popular resort of Marsalforn, just steps from the beach. It also has a lovely rooftop pool and bar, so why not go for a stroll or enjoy a refreshing drink with your travelling companions once you've unpacked.
- Day 6 Walk from Munxar to Xlendi Bay
- Walk 5km/3.1 miles- 1.5 hours
You can spend today at leisure enjoying the hotel's facilities or simply relaxing on the beach.
Alternatively, join our optional walk, which begins in Munxar, a typical Gozo village on the south of the island set between two lush valleys. Enjoy beautiful views as we walk to the small fishing village of Xlendi Bay, which boasts a picturesque fjord-like harbour. The perfect way to end our walk is with a wine-tasting and light lunch at a vineyard, and that's just what we'll do.
You can spend the afternoon at leisure back at the hotel.
- Day 7 Walk from Ggantija Temples to Nadur
- Walk 6km/3.7 miles – 2 hours
We've a great day out planned, starting with a stroll back in time at the Ggantija Temples. We'll walk around and even step inside these Neolithic temples, which are amongst the oldest free-standing monuments in the world, preceding Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Giza. Shrouded in mystery, no one really knows what they were used for but our guided tour will give us some insight.
Next stop is the Calypso Cave, carved into a cliff overlooking the beautiful sandy beach of Ramla Bay. Legend has it that this is the cave mentioned in Homer's The Odyssey, where the beautiful nymph Calypso kept Odysseus a prisoner of love for seven years. Our walk continues to Ramla Bay, with its orange-red sand and crystal-clear waters, and ends in the hilltop village of Nadur, where we'll be rewarded with spectacular views over land and sea.
When we get back to the hotel, there's time to relax before we gather once more and enjoy a farewell dinner. Entertainment is included tonight, and comes in the shape of a traditional folklore show.
- Day 8 Malta to UK
- Today we'll return to Malta by ferry then transfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK.
- Hotel Calypso
- Hotel Calypso is a bright and comfortable 4 star hotel located in relaxing Malta, just a short ferry ride from Malta. Located close to the bright, blue Mediterranean Sea, sits the Hotel Calypso. Sits perfectly on the north short of the island in the fishing harbour town of Maraslforn. The hotel is the perfect based for days on the beach or walks in the countryside, a perfect combination of comfortable surroundings, breath-taking views and friendly service. The hotel pride themselves on their fine food and service, known for serving fresh, seasonal produce in their two restaurants and bar. All bedrooms have delightful views, en suite private facilities, bath/shower, air conditioning, ceiling fans, balcony, TV, mini bar and safety deposit box.
- Dolmen Resort Hotel
- The 4-star Dolmen Resort is located close to the beach in St Paul’s Bay. Hotel amenities include a choice of restaurants and bars, a café, swimming pool and a casino.
- Evening tour of Mdina, which we'll reach by vintage bus
- North west coast walk & harbour cruise
- Walk from Munxar to Xlendi Bay, including vineyard light lunch