Real Costa Rica
If you want to discover the real Costa Rica, this is the tour for you. There's so much packed in to this nine-day adventure, from a visit to an indigenous community, to guided boat tours through the jungle. You'll enjoy a stay on the stunning Caribbean coast, discover the flora and fauna of national parks and take a tour of a coffee plantation. For the thrill seeker, there's even an option to take in breathtaking views of the rainforest as you soar across an exhilarating zip line.
If you want to discover the real Costa Rica, this is the tour for you. It's packed full of unforgettable experiences and visits the stunning Caribbean coast.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways
- Use of an airport lounge in the UK
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels & jungle lodges plus 1 night in flight
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Specialist Local Guide
- Welcome drink
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Visit Cahuita National Park
- Visit an indigenous Bribri community to learn about their culture & traditions
- Enjoy a traditional Bribri lunch, learn how chocolate is made & sample organic bananas dipped in freshly made chocolate sauce
- Visit Tortuguero Village & the Caribbean Conservation Center
- Enjoy two guided boat tours through Tortuguero National Park
- Experience the Mi Cafecito Coffee Tour
- Day 1 UK to San José
- Today you will fly to San José, the capital of Costa Rica.
- Day 2 Puerto Viejo de Limon
- Our adventure begins as we travel to Puerto Viejo de Limon, a beach resort on the Caribbean coast. A popular spot for surfers, it boasts crystal-clear waters and stunning sandy beaches.
This afternoon we will visit Cahuita National Park, which was created to preserve the coral reef along its shores. Sea turtles nest in the protected marine area, and the reef is home to many different species of coral and fish. On land, brightly coloured birds including green ibises, keel-billed toucans and herons live in the forest, and you might spot mammals such as monkeys and pacas, roaming amongst the tropical plants.
- Day 3 Puerto Viejo de Limon
- There's a fascinating day in store, as we learn about the indigenous Bribri people of Costa Rica and get an insight into their culture and traditions. We'll travel to the Bribri Indigenous Territory, located in the tropical rainforest of Talamanca. A Local Guide will meet us in the village of Bambú, and we'll step aboard dugout canoes for an exciting journey along the spectacular Yorkín River. After about an hour we'll arrive in the village of Yorkín, and will walk to the rural lodge of Stibrawpa, passing organic cacao and banana plantations on the way. There will be a snack waiting for us when we arrive, then we'll visit the Tskui River and hanging bridge, where you can take a dip in the refreshing water if you wish.
Back at Stibrawpa, we'll be served a Bribri-style lunch and our hosts will tell us about the origins of the lodge. We'll also learn how chocolate is traditionally produced, and taste organic bananas dipped in a freshly made chocolate sauce. After lunch we'll find out more about local life, as we're shown how to use a traditional bow and arrow. We'll also learn how to weave the leaves used to tile the roofs of Bribri houses.
As our day of unforgettable experiences comes to an end, we will return to Bambú by canoe and then head back to the hotel.
- Day 4 Tortuguero National Park
- We've an early start today as we set off for Tortuguero National Park. We'll stop at a restaurant for breakfast, and as there are no roads into Tortuguero, the final part of our journey will be by boat. We'll arrive at our hotel in time for lunch, and will visit Tortuguero Village to find out about the local community this afternoon. We'll also visit the Caribbean Conservation Center to discover more about the sea turtles that nest on the nearby beaches.
- Day 5 Tortuguero National Park
- We'll explore Tortuguero National Park on two guided boat tours today. This beautiful region is one of Costa Rica's most important ecological sites and a renowned nesting site for sea turtles. Behind a beach-fringed coastline, a network of freshwater channels cuts through the dense jungle and is home to a variety of other wildlife, including monkeys, river otters, crocodiles, caimans and many species of bird.
Keep your eyes peeled for sightings as you cruise the waterways, canals and swamps and then explore some of the trails on foot. Your guide is on hand to answer questions about the history and wildlife of the park and will do their best to help you spot as many different species as possible.
- Day 6 Muelle de San Carlos
- After breakfast we leave Tortuguero by boat and then drive to the village of Muelle de San Carlos. We'll stop at a restaurant for lunch on the way, and then visit 'Mi Cafecito Coffee Tour' in the afternoon. During our tour of this community coffee plantation, we will gain an insight into the lives Costa Rica's coffee producers. There will also be an opportunity to sample the coffee and purchase some to take home as a souvenir.
When we arrive in Muelle de San Carlos, the rest of the day will be free for you to relax and enjoy the facilities at the hotel. You could take a dip in the swimming pool or perhaps enjoy a drink with your travelling companions.
- Day 7 Muelle de San Carlos
- If you want to discover Costa Rica's rainforest canopy, we've lined up two fantastic optional excursions for today. The not-so-good news is you can only choose one – as they both take place at the same time!
The first option is a zip-line adventure in La Fortuna. Experience a rush of adrenaline as you fly through the rainforest canopy from platforms suspended in the treetops. You'll see the impressive Canyon of the Arenal River and get a unique view of the rainforest's extraordinary flora and fauna. Be sure to keep a look out for wildlife too, monkeys, toucans, hummingbirds and sloths all reside in this part of the forest.
If you prefer to admire the rainforest at a slower pace, our second option is a visit to the Hanging Bridges of Arenal. Explore the rainforest on a walking trail which crosses no less than 15 bridges,
six of which are hanging in the rainforest canopy, offering a spectacular view of the scenery below. It’s an incredible experience, with highlights including 98-metre-long Tyra Bridge and Waterfall Bridge which is suspended 60 metres in the air. Keep your eyes peeled as you walk, more than 250 species of bird live in this rainforest reserve along with a vast array of reptiles, mammals and insects.
- Day 8 Muelle de San Carlos to UK
- After breakfast we will transfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK.
- Day 9 UK
- You will arrive in the UK today.
Please note that the itinerary for 2020 will differ slightly from that shown here. On day 3, there will be no canoe ride to the Bribri people, the rest of the experience will remain the same. Additionaly on day 3, we will visit the wonderful Rio Dos Aguas waterfall.
- Tryp by Wyndham San Jose Sabana
- The 3-star Tryp San Jose La Sabana is ideally located in San Jose, within reach of Poas Volcano National Park.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant and a gym. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, hairdryer, tea/coffee-making facilities and a TV.
- Hotel Cariblue
- Situated amongst lush grounds, Cariblue Beach and Jungle resort is an idyllic place to stay. There is an outdoor pool that is flanked by looming trees and a ring of sun loungers. The in-house restaurant offers a selection of great seafood options as well as a few more European dishes. Rooms are stylised with a tropical décor and come furnished with private facilities, a TV as well as a fan.
- Pachira Lodge
- The lodge is positioned extremely close to the extraordinary Tortuguero National Park. The National Park is famed for the huge variety of biodiversity, as depicted by the 11 differing habitats, including rainforests, mangrove forests, swamps, beaches and lagoons.
- Tilajari Hotel Resort
- The 3-star Tilajari Resort in Muelle de San Carlos is perfectly located amid wonderful scenery near the San Carlos River. Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar/lounge, three outdoor swimming pools and a fitness centre. Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, safe, TV and hairdryer.
Zip-line adventure over the rainforest canopy in La Fortuna
Visit the Hanging Bridges of Arenal
Please note: Only one of these optional excursions can be booked, as they both take place at the same time.Back to top