Portugal's Douro River Cruise 8 Day
As you sail the Douro River on board a 4-star ship, take in Portugal's many splendid sights, from lush vineyards to picturesque medieval towns. You can step ashore in a host of fascinating ports of call, where optional excursions give you the chance to explore. In UNESCO-listed Oporto, enjoy a tasting of its famous port wine, and discover the many historical treasures of Guimarães. Admire the beautiful gardens of Solar de Mateus in Vila Real, tour the ancient university city of Salamanca and uncover the highlights of the medieval town of Lamego.
From the calm waters of the Douro River, take in Portugal's many splendid sights, from lush vineyards to picturesque medieval towns and step ashore in fascinating ports of call.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Gatwick with TAP Air Portugal
- 7 nights all inclusive on board 4-star premium ship Amalia Rodrigues or Miguel Torga
- 20 meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners & all drinks (excluding Champagne & selected wines)
- Specialist Local Guide
- Captain's welcome cocktail reception
- Farewell gala dinner
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Onboard entertainment
- Complimentary Wi-fi on board
- A full programme of optional shore excursions
- Day 1 UK to Oporto
- Today you'll fly to Oporto, Portugal's second city, where we'll transfer you to your ship. Once you've settled into your cabin, join your fellow travellers for a drink before dinner. You can then enjoy the facilities on board or head ashore for an optional tour of the city by night.
- Day 2 Oporto
- UNESCO-listed Oporto is famed as the home of port wine. An optional walking tour will show you its highlights before we head to nearby Vila Nova de Gaia for a tasting of this sweet red fortified wine. If you have chosen our Discovery excursions package you'll explore Oporto by tram and visit the Tramway Museum.
- Day 3 Oporto & Regua
- This morning step ashore and join your chosen optional excursion. The charming UNESCO-listed city of Guimarães is regarded as the birthplace of Portugal and its fascinating history is reflected in the variety of monuments and historic buildings you'll see on your guided walking tour. Alternatively, you'll head off on a hike along the Douro Coast, starting at the traditional fishing village of São Pedro da Afurada, and taking in amazing views of Oporto along the way. End your hike at the Vila Nova de Gaia, where you'll enjoy a well-earned rest and a tasting of Portugal's famous port wine.
This afternoon we'll rejoin the ship and sail the Douro Valley to Regua.
- Day 4 Regua & Vega De Teron
- On an optional excursion to Vila Real, you can take in the beautiful landscaped gardens of the 18th century Mateus Palace. This elegant manor house may be familiar, as it appears on the labels of the famous Mateus rosé wine.
We rejoin the ship in Pinhão, and as we set sail for Vega de Teron, perhaps head out on deck to admire the steep, terraced vineyards lining the banks of the river.
- Day 5 Vega de Teron
- Enjoy the views and your ship's facilities this morning, before we arrive at Vega de Teron. From here you can explore Salamanca on an optional excursion on foot or by bicycle. The University here was founded in 1218 and is one of the oldest in Europe, while Plaza Mayor is regarded as one of Spain's most beautiful squares, so there's plenty to see.
Back on board, we sail towards Barca D'Alva this evening.
- Day 6 Ferradosa & Pinhão
- This morning we sail via the Valeira and Pocinho locks to the tiny town of Ferradosa. It's all about wine here, so let's step ashore and taste some on an optional excursion.
On board the ship tonight, get together with your travelling companions to enjoy a gala evening.
- Day 7 Oporto
- The medieval town of Lamego, with the spectacular Nossa Senhora de Remedios sanctuary and the impressive Gothic cathedral, is a wonderful place to visit on an optional excursion this morning.
We'll return to the ship for lunch and then relax on board as we cruise back to Oporto.
This evening, enjoy a farewell dinner on board followed by traditional entertainment.
- Day 8 Oporto to UK
- We'll disembark the ship and transfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK today.
- MS Infante D. Henrique
- You will stay on board the MS Infante D’Henrique. This ship has a lounge, dining room and sundeck. Three cabin grades are available; please ask your holiday advisor for details. All cabins feature private facilities.
Please note: A sister ship may be used on certain departures
- Oporto by night
- Oporto tour, or discover Oporto by tram & visit the Tramway Museum
- Guimaraes or hike along the Douro coast
- Vila Real
- Salamanca on foot, or Salamanca by bicyle
- Port wine tasting & vineyards
The above optional excursions can be pre-booked from just £310 per person for the Explorer package and £325 per person for the Discovery package