Discover charming old towns, golden sands and tempting local delicacies on this holiday which takes you to the most beautiful parts of Portugal.You'll visit bustling Oporto and charming Gaia, both famous for the production of port, so a tasting is a must, and you'll also enjoy a relaxing cruise along the Douro River. Uncover history in the splendid Mateus Palace, the delightful town of Viseu and lovely Aveiro – a stunning city set on a lagoon and known as the 'Venice of Portugal'. Sightseeing highlights include Lisbon's Belém Tower and the imposing St Jerome Monastery, while authentic culinary treats come in the shape of traditional custard tarts and rich port wine.
Discover charming old towns, golden sands and tempting local delicacies on this wonderful holiday, which includes a scenic cruise along the Douro River and visits to Oporto and Lisbon.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Gatwick with TAP Air Portugal
- 7 nights in 3 & 4-star hotels
- 9 meals: 7 breakfasts, 2 dinners
- All excursions included
- Specialist Local Guide
- Welcome & farewell drink
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Audio Guide
- Oporto tour including a river cruise
- Visit Gaia’s famous port wine cellars for a tasting
- Douro Valley, including visits to Guimarães, Mateus & Pinhao
- Tours of Viseu & Aveiro - the ‘Venice of Portugal’
- Visit the medieval towns of Coimbra & Óbidos
- Lisbon including tasting of pastéis de Belém
- UNESCO-listed Sintra
- Cosmopolitan Cascais
- Day 1 UK to Oporto
- After flying to Oporto we will transfer you to your hotel, where you can get to know your travelling companions over dinner.
- Day 2 Oporto
- Known for the production of port wine, Oporto is a lively city set on a great gorge of the River Douro. We'll explore on today's tour, taking in the Baroque Clérigos Church, whose soaring bell tower can be glimpsed throughout the city, before stepping inside the famous Lello Bookstore, at additional cost. One of the country's oldest bookshops, it's also amongst the best in the world.
Perhaps join some of your fellow travellers for lunch before we continue our exploration with a visit to the town's old quarters, Ribeira, and the neo-classical Stock Exchange Palace.
Enjoy a scenic cruise along the Douro for fantastic views of Oporto and Vila Nova de Gaia, which line the banks. Admire the six bridges that unite these two delightful towns before stepping ashore in Gaia, also famed for its production of port wine, made exclusively in the Douro Valley. What better way to end the day than with a visit to one of the town's numerous port wine cellars for a tasting of this sweet red wine.
- Day 3 Douro Valley
- With a UNESCO-listed historic centre, Guimarães is the birthplace of Afonso Henriques, Portugal's first independent king. We'll head here today to discover castle ruins, charming narrow streets and the beautiful square of Largo da Oliveira. After time to explore and enjoy lunch, we'll head to Vila Real to explore the 18th century Mateus Palace. We'll also take in Pinhão's pretty train station, decorated with tiled panels depicting traditional scenes of the Douro region, before reaching our hotel in the Douro Valley.
- Day 4 Viseu & Aveiro
- A delightful city with a well-preserved historical centre and a maze of cobbled streets, Viseu is our destination this morning as we leave the Douro Valley behind us. We'll then continue to Aveiro, known as the 'Venice of Portugal'. Admire the traditional seaweed-harvesting 'moliceiro' boats, stunning natural lagoons and elegant 19th century architecture, before we reach Coimbra.
- Day 5 Coimbra & Obidos
- Today we'll explore Coimbra, the medieval capital of Portugal for over 100 years. Discover one of the oldest universities in Europe and the New Cathedral – the current bishopric seat of the city. Next we'll visit Óbidos, surrounded by an old wall flanked by round towers and square bastions. The town was given by King Denis to his young wife, a gesture that was repeated by future monarchs until 1833. We'll explore the town, which is also known for its unique cherry liqueur, before heading back to Lisbon.
- Day 6 Lisbon
- We'll head off on a walking tour of Lisbon today, which starts in the area of Belém, where we'll see iconic landmarks the Belém Tower, the Monument to the Discoveries and the imposing St Jerome Monastery. After working up an appetite, we'll try a pastéis de Belém, known outside Lisbon as pastéis de nata - a deliciously sweet custard tart.
Our tour continues as we take in the views from the Alto do Parque Belvedere. We'll then stop to admire the bronze statue of the Marques of Pombal, who rebuilt Lisbon after the 1755 earthquake, and then stroll through the Alfama district. Here, we'll see Lisbon Cathedral, the city’s oldest church and a National Monument.
We'll then drive to Restauradores Square, which has the imposing Restauradores obelisk at its heart, and here, we'll disembark the coach. You can explore at your own pace, or find a restaurant for lunch if you wish.
- Day 7 Sintra & Cascais
- Sintra is an enchanting town with a fascinating UNESCO-listed centre, and it's also the first stop on today's tour. See the spectacular Sintra National Palace, which at extra cost you can enter, or enjoy a spot of lunch before we begin our journey back to Lisbon. En route, we'll stop at Cape Roca – the most westerly point of Continental Europe – and Cascais, an ancient fishing village which has been transformed into a cosmopolitan hotspot thanks to its gorgeous beaches, picturesque gardens and pedestrianised Old Town. Just before we reach Lisbon, we'll take a panoramic tour of Estoril, once a summer retreat for royal families and now known for its sandy beaches and popular casino. This evening we'll gather together for a farewell dinner.
- Day 8 Lisbon to UK
- Today we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight back to the UK.
- Vila Gale Porto
- Located in Porto, close to the metro station, the hotel is only a 10 minute walk away from the famous Rua de Santa Catarina. Hotel facilities include restaurant and bar, as well as Health Club with a heated indoor pool, sauna and gym. Bedrooms have private facilities.
- Hotel Regua Douro
- Located on the Douro, the hotel offers fantastic views over the river. Hotel facilities include a restaurant and a bar, as well as an outdoor pool. Bedrooms have private facilities.
- Hotel D. Luis
- With stunning panoramic views of Coimbra, the 3-star Hotel D. Luis offers a quiet and comfortable atmosphere. Bedrooms include private facilities, air-conditioning, safe and a TV.
- Vila Gale Opera
- Your hotel is located in front of the Tagus River and 10 minutes away from the historic city centre. The hotel was renovated in 2014 with modern décor inspired by opera. Many of its rooms offer spectacular views onto the Tagus River. Facilities include a restaurant, bar and Health club. Bedrooms have private facilities.