Moscow & St Petersburg - Tolstoy’S War & Peace
Explore iconic sites in Moscow and St Petersburg, and get an insight into the opulent lives of Russian aristocracy on this intriguing tour. Tolstoy's epic novel 'War and Peace' is brought to life as you discover the writer's former home and visit the iconic sights of Russia.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return indirect flights from Heathrow with Lufthansa via Munich
- 7 nights in 4 and 5-star hotels
- 12 meals: 7 breakfasts, 5 dinners including welcome & farewell dinners
- Local flavours: Vodka-tasting with pancakes and red caviar in the Russian Vodka Museum
- High-speed train: High-speed train from Moscow to St Petersburg
- All excursions included
- Specialist Local Guide
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- A dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Audio Guide
- Moscow city tour
- Visit the Kremlin & Armoury Museum
- The Museum of Patriotic War of 1812
- Leo Tolstoy Museum Estate in Khamovniki
- St Petersburg tour
- Hermitage Museum
- Peter & Paul Fortress
- Fabergé Museum
- Catherine's Palace & Gardens
- Afternoon tea with a Russian ballet dancer
- Day 1 UK to Moscow
- Today you'll fly to Moscow. On arrival, we'll transfer you to your hotel, where you'll get to know your fellow travellers over a drink and dinner.
- Day 2 The Kremlin & Armoury Museum
- After breakfast, we'll enjoy a tour of Moscow, a city which boasts incredible architecture and a fascinating history. In the afternoon, our included excursion takes us to The Kremlin, a fortress which was a potent symbol of two mighty imperial cultures – medieval Muscovy and the Soviet Union. Admire some of the magnificent cathedrals and palaces here before a tour of the Armoury Museum. Contained within the walls of the citadel, the collection here fills nine halls and includes exquisite jewellery, armour, weaponry, imperial clothing and many other treasures.
- Day 3 The Museum of Patriotic War of 1812
- Today we'll visit The Museum of Patriotic War of 1812, located in the very centre of Moscow just a few steps away from the Red Square. It is housed in a beautiful 19th century red-brick building which was originally Moscow's City Hall and then became the State Lenin Museum during the Soviet period. The exhibition contains a fascinating collection weapons, uniforms, documents and works of art relating to the War of 1812, including rooms dedicated to the Battle of Borodino and Napoleon's retreat from Moscow.
Our explorations continue this afternoon as we head to Khamovniki to visit the Leo Tolstoy Museum Estate, one of Russia's oldest literary museums. The writer lived in this house from 1882 to 1901, penning many famous works here. We'll also see the salon where Rachmaninov and Rimsky-Korsakov played piano.
- Day 4 Moscow to St Petersburg
- This morning we board the Sapsan fast train for the 4-hour journey to St Petersburg, where we'll stay for the next four nights in a 5-star hotel housed in the former Eliseev Palace, in the heart of the city.
- Day 5 St Petersburg
- St Petersburg, formerly Leningrad, was the capital of Russia until the October Revolution in 1917 and is an exciting mix of historical and modern. On our city tour we'll discover some of its spectacular buildings including the Peter and Paul Fortress, the historic core of the city. The cathedral is the resting place of all Russian Emperors and Empresses from Peter the Great to Nicholas II.
An afternoon visit to the Russian Vodka Museum tells us all we need to know about how Russia's favourite spirit has been produced and consumed over the centuries. After our tour we'll taste the country's national drink in style, with pancakes and red caviar.
- Day 6 Fabergé Museum & Hermitage
- We'll start today with a visit to the Fabergé Museum, which is dedicated to the creator of the famous and beautifully ornate Fabergé eggs. Next, we'll enjoy a tour of the State Hermitage Museum, a wonderful showcase of wealth, art and culture. We'll round of this day of discovery at one of St Petersburg's renowned theatres, where we'll enjoy an afternoon tea experience with a Russian ballet dancer.
- Day 7 Catherine Palace
- Today we'll visit the magnificent Catherine Palace in Pushkin. As we explore the palace and gardens we'll get a glimpse of the Russian high life and an insight into the imperial history of this incredible country.
Enjoy an afternoon at leisure, to explore St Petersburg further in the company of your travelling companions. This evening we'll gather at a restaurant for a farewell dinner.
- Day 8 St Petersburg to UK
- We'll transfer to the airport today for our flight back to the UK.
- Golden Ring Hotel
- Conveniently nestled in the heart of Moscow and close to the metro station for exploring the fascinating capital of Russia. The hotel is set inside a modern building with stately décor and features a panoramic rooftop restaurant and winter garden. Facilities include a bar, restaurant, patisserie and fitness centre. Guest rooms feature private facilities, safe and minibar, TV and hairdryer.
- Renaissance St Petersburg Baltic Hotel
- Renaissance St Petersburg Baltic Hotel is an elegant hotel, located in the heart of St Petersburg next to St Isaac''s Cathedral. Many famous attractions are just a few steps away, including Hermitage Museum which is just 10-minute walk away. All rooms are spacious and newly refurbished, featuring air-conditioning, free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV and tea/coffee-making facilities. Other hotel amenities include laundry services and ell-equipped fitness center with a swimming pool. Hotel''s restaurant serves both European and Russian cuisine. Roof terrace is open during summer months for guests to enjoy a cocktail or two while taking in views of St Isaac''s Cathedral.
- Hotel Taleon Imperial
- The Taleon Imperial Hotel is housed in the former Eliseev Palace, in the heart of historic St Petersburg. Taleon Imperial Hotel is a member of the Leading Hotels of the World and Virtuoso. In year 2011 the Condé Nast Traveler Magazine named the Taleon Imperial Hotel among 100 best hotels in the world.
Facilities here include a choice of fine-dining restaurants, café, bar and a luxury spa with gym, saunas and swimming Pool. Elegant guest rooms have private facilities, TV, hairdryer, mini-bar.