Experience South Africa Whale Watching
From cosmopolitan Cape Town to Kruger National Park, where the 'Big Five' will stop you in your tracks, the highlights just keep coming. These exceptional sights combine with diverse cultures and an intriguing, sometimes disturbing, past to make this tour of South Africa unforgettable.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- Use of an airport lounge in the UK
- 11 nights in 3 and 4-star hotels, plus 2 nights in flight
- 19 meals: 11 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 7 dinners
- Specialist Local Guide
- Welcome & farewell get-together
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Cape Town city tour & visit to Table Mountain
- Cape Point, the penguins of Boulders Beach, and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens
- Cango Caves & ostrich farm
- Drive along the Garden Route
- Storms River Mouth in Tsitsikamma National Park
- Soweto tour
- Game drive in Kruger National Park
- Scenic panorama route
- Day 1 UK to Cape Town
- You'll depart on your overnight flight to Cape Town.
- Day 2 Cape Town
- Today you will arrive in Cape Town. This evening we'll get to know one another better over dinner.
- Day 3 Cape Peninsula
A day exploring the Cape Peninsula begins at Hout Bay and continues along Chapman's Peak – a spectacular coastal drive – as we make our way to Cape Nature Reserve and Cape Point, at the very tip of the peninsula.
During our return journey to Cape Town we stop at Boulders Beach, where you can see the penguins that make their home here. We'll then continue through Simon's Town, Fish Hoek and Muizenberg, finally reaching Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, beautifully positioned against the slopes of Table Mountain.
We also include a visit to Table Mountain, and if the weather is favourable you'll have the opportunity to ascend the mountain on a thrilling cable car ride.We'll get together and head to a restaurant for our welcome dinner this evening.
- Day 4 Cape Town
- Today has been left at leisure for you to explore Cape Town at your own pace. The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront has sweeping views of the ocean, harbour, city bowl and Table Mountain and is the perfect place to relax with many excellent restaurants and attractions. We also offer two optional excursions today - a morning tour of Khayelitsha, Cape Town's largest black township, and an afternoon visit to the Winelands area of the Western Cape including a cellar tour and the chance to taste the produce.
- Day 5 Hermanus
- Hermanus, your destination today is known as one of the best places for land based whale watching in the world as at this time of year Southern Right Whales stay in the bay close to the shore and can be seen from the network of cliff paths. For the chance to witness these mesmerising creatures in their own habitat a whale-watching boat trip has been organised (weather dependent). The afternoon is at leisure so explore the town at your own pace. We have arranged an overnight stay here.
- Day 6 Oudtshoorn
- There's a scenic drive to look forward to today passing the wineries and ostrich farms of Route 62 to Oudtshoorn. An afternoon visit to an ostrich farm will give you the opportunity to admire and possibly hand-feed these curious looking creatures.
- Day 7 Knysna
- This morning we'll visit the impressive Cango Caves, where we'll descend into an underground world of limestone caverns, stalactites and stalagmites sculptured by nature over millions of years. We continue to Knysna, a town at the heart of the Garden Route surrounded ancient forests and a beautiful lagoon where you can enjoy the rest of the day at leisure.
- Day 8 Knysna
- Today is free to explore the beautiful town at leaisure. Alternatively join an optional excursion to Featherbed Nature Reserve. This excursion is renowned as the premier eco-experience on the Garden Route and includes a return ferry ride on the Knysna Lagoon, a scenic drive onto the reserve, a specialist fauna and flora guide and a walk through coastal forest to ancient sea caves. The highlight is an included buffet lunch served at the beautiful outdoor restaurant, enjoy fresh food under the canopy of Milkwood trees.
- Day 9 Johannesburg
- This morning we depart Knysna and tour the impressive garden route. On the way we have included entrance at Tsitsikamma National Park to visit Storms River Mouth. Here you can walk a short trail through the coastal forest with views of the sea, coast and river mouth. The highlight is the 77 metres long suspension bridge, taking you to a pebble beach, before returning over two smaller suspension bridges. Later arriving at Port Elizabeth where we board our flight to Johannesburg.
- Day 10 Johannesburg
- This morning we include a tour of nearby Soweto – the country's most populous black urban residential area, which is infused with the history of the struggle against apartheid. Lunch is provided on this excursion, following which, we have a free afternoon.
- Day 11 Kruger National Park
- The Panorama Route weaves its way through some of the most stunning scenery in South Africa – the rainforest at God's Window, Bourke's Luck potholes and Blyde Canyon to name just a few. It's also our route to Mpumalanga, the gateway to the iconic Kruger National Park.
- Day 12 Kruger National Park
- Wake up to the incredible sounds of the African bush as you embark on a thrilling early-morning game drive in Kruger. The park is home to an enthralling array of wildlife, so hopefully you'll tick off at least some, if not all, of the 'Big Five' – lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo.There's time to relax by the pool with a refreshing drink this afternoon before we offer a further optional game drive.
- Day 13 Kruger National Park
- There's more time at leisure today but there are optional bush walks and game drives on offer if you want to see more of your thrilling surroundings and the resident wildlife.
- Days 14 & 15 Kruger to UK
- We head back to Johannesburg for our return flight to the UK, arrving on day 15. Alternatively, join our optional add on tour to Victoria Falls.
- ONOMO Hotel Cape Town - Inn on the Square
- Overlooking Green Market Square in Cape Town, Inn on the Square Cape Town is a contemporary hotel in one of Cape Town’s oldest buildings. Inn on the Square Cape Town’s in-house restaurant, DISH, offers quality South African cuisine. Here they offer a selection of local and imported wines that can be enjoyed either in the restaurant, Cobble & Stone Pub or on the terrace. All rooms include air-conditioning, hairdryers, Wi-Fi and tea/coffee-making facilities.
- Windsor Hotel
- The 3-star Windsor Hotel in Hermanus is located close to plenty of restaurants and shops. The area is also great for whale watching.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar and Wi-Fi. Bedrooms have private facilities, TV and a safe.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn
- The 3-star Riempie Hotel in Oudtshoorn has a tranquil setting, with the town's famous crocodile and ostrich farms close by.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar and swimming pool (typically open May-Sept). Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, TV, Wi-Fi, hairdryer and tea- and coffee-making facilities.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Knysna Quays
- The 4-star Protea Hotel Knysna Quays is set on the Knysna Quays waterfront, within easy reach of the city's main attractions.
Hotel facilities include a restaurant, bar, lounge and outdoor pool (typically open May-Sept). Bedrooms have private facilities, air-conditioning, TV, hairdryer, telephone, minibar, tea- and coffee-making facilities and Wi-Fi.
- Garden Court Sandton City
- The Garden Court Sandton City hotel is well located in Johannesburg, adjacent to the Nelson Mandela Square shopping centre. It has facilities including an outdoor pool, gym, garden, terrace and restaurant, serving international dishes with fresh seasonal ingredients. Guest rooms benefit from air-conditioning, en-suite, TV and tea/coffee maker.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview
- Protea Hotel Hazyview is in a truly stunning location – surrounded by the vast beauty of South Africa which is punctuated by the mountains in the distance. The hotel boasts an outdoor swimming pool and a fire pit which you can dine next to. The air conditioned rooms at this scenic resort have satellite TV as well as tea/coffee facilities. Other appealing features of the Protea Hotel Hazyview include a bar area and free Wi-Fi.
- Winelands tour and tasting
- Cape Town township
- Cruise and lunch in Featherbed Nature Reserve in Knysna
- Game Drives at Kruger National Park