- Duration: 8 days
- Board Basis: Half Board
- Tour Ref: D2TJUSSEIDS
- Travel Type: Air
- Excursions: 6
As you explore Italy's largest island you'll discover a host of highlights. Its most famous landmark is Mount Etna, and you can choose to ascend Europe's tallest active volcano by cable car. Perched high on a cliff is Taormina, and here you'll see its incredible Greco-Roman theatre. On to Syracuse next, where a Greek theatre carved into the hills is one highlight of your tour. A visit to the Villa del Casale reveals a rich collection of Roman mosaics, while Sicily's capital, Palermo, is a feast for the eyes with its diverse mix of architectural styles and the exquisite mosaics housed inside the Capella Palatine chapel. Explore Monreale Cathedral, which boasts many sparkling treasures and enjoy a stroll around Cefalú, a lovely seaside town which is also blessed with many sightseeing highlights.
Imposing ruins, ancient history, vibrant towns and the brooding Mount Etna - discover all of this and more as you explore Italy's largest island.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host & Specialist Local Guide
- Return flights from Gatwick with British Airways or easyJet
- A dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- 7 nights in 4-star hotels
- 15 included meals: 7 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 7 dinners including welcome drink & farewell get-together
- Overseas transfers, other transportation & porterage
- Audio Guide
- Visit the Roman Villa del Casale
- Palermo & Monreale
- Palermo street-food experience
- Day 1 UK to Catania
- Fly to Catania today. Meet your fellow travellers over a drink and dinner this evening.
- Day 2 Taormina
- Mount Etna is Europe's tallest active volcano, standing at approximately 3,329m high. Globally significant, this immense peak is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is hugely popular, attracting thousands of visitors each year. If you choose to visit this magnificent volcano on our optional excursion this morning you'll enjoy a truly memorable experience as you journey up in a cable car. You'll also have a further option to take a thrilling journey higher up the volcano in a 16-seater 4x4 vehicle in the company of an Alpine guide.
After our exploration of Mount Etna we'll call at a traditional farm for a tour. We'll see the huge vineyard here, and the farm's 900 beehives. We'll learn all about the fascinating way that honey is made and we'll try a selection of different flavours. We'll also taste locally produced olive oil, olives and vegetable pate, along with three different wines.
Taormina is perched on a cliff top, overlooking two beautiful sweeping bays. During our included afternoon excursion we will also visit the magnificent Greco-Roman theatre.
- Day 3 Syracuse
- During our included visit to the historic city of Syracuse we'll explore the old town of Ortigia and see the magnificent Greek theatre carved into the hillside.
- Day 4 Piazza Armerina
- The fascinating Villa del Casale, a Roman villa built in the 4th century, is another of the island's many UNESCO World Heritage Sites. This fascinating structure, located just outside the town of Piazza Armerina, boasts the richest and most complex collection of Roman mosaics in the world, and is said to be one of the most luxurious of its kind. We pay a visit en route to our next hotel.
- Day 5 Monreale & Palermo
- Watching over Palermo is the beautiful Monreale Cathedral, one of the greatest examples of Norman architecture in the world. The pleasant yet unremarkable exterior of the cathedral offers no clue as to the exquisite golden paintings and spectacular mosaics you'll discover when you venture inside.We'll then move on to Palermo, Sicily's vibrant capital, which boasts a wealth of architecture ranging in style from Arabic to Art Nouveau. Our first stop is the market, where we'll be treated to a street food experience in a local cafe. Snacking on the street is a proud, centuries-old tradition in Palermo and we're going to taste an array of authentic Sicilian delicacies. Prepare to feast on scrumptious arancine, deep-fried rice balls filled with bolognese sauce, chickpea fritters served with minty potato croquettes and sfincione, thick Sicilian pizza.
- Day 6 Campofelice Di Roccella - at leisure
- The ancient town of Agrigento showcases Sicily's Greek past. On an optional excursion today your Local Guide will introduce you to the Valley of the Temples, one of the greatest examples of Greater Greece's art and architecture, and one of Sicily's major attractions. You'll also discover the fascinating Temple of Concord and the Temple of Zeus, the largest temple built by the Greeks.
- Day 7 Cefalù
- The popular seaside town of Cefalù is set on a rocky headland and boasts lovely sandy beaches. We will visit this pretty fishing port today. It is dominated by one of Sicily's finest Norman cathedrals, which houses some of the island's earliest and best-preserved Byzantine mosaics. This evening, gather with your travelling companions for a farewell get-together.
- Day 8 Catania to UK
- Today we'll transfer to Catania airport for our return flight to the UK.
- Diamond Resort Giardini Naxos
- An outstanding hotel, nestled between the gentle slopes of the hills around Giardini Naxos. The careful arrangement of the surroundings, the comfort, elegance and charm of the rooms and suites and the style and functionality of the meeting spaces and recreational areas allow guests to experience Italian excellence in the world of hospitality. In addition, they have the benefit of staying in a modern structure, built in accordance with the latest guidelines on environmental sustainability, with easy access for the disabled and services to meet all customers’ needs. The hotel has got a swimming pool, spa, bars, restaurant, private beach, free Wi-Fi.
- Acacia Resort
- Set on its own private beach, the hotel''s facilities include a restaurant, bar, health club and outdoor swimming pool. Guest rooms have private facilities, hairdryer, TV, fridge and balcony or patio. Swimming pools are typically open May to September.
- Discover Mount Etna on a cable car & Jeep adventure
- Valley of the Temples
Pre-bookable excursions: The above optional excursions can be pre-booked as a package from just £99.Back to top