Christmas & New Year In The Costa Brava
Explore Catalonia's picturesque coastal scenery and medieval architecture on this festive holiday which takes in Christmas and New Year. Montserrat's famed monastery, which perches on a cliff-top, and the striking works of Gaudi in Barcelona take centre stage, and you'll also discover a rich history in the ancient towns of Girona and Besalú. Optional excursions take you to Tarragona on the Costa Dorada, and Figueres, the birthplace of surrealist painter Salvador Dali. A Christmas lunch with all the trimmings and a New Year's Eve gala dinner are further highlights as you celebrate the festive season on Spain's northernmost costa.
Striking architecture, intriguing history and golden beaches - all are featured on this festive holiday which takes in Christmas and New Year.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Manager as your host & Specialist Local Guide
- Return flights from Heathrow with British Airways
- A dedicated Just You representative to greet you at selected UK airports
- 10 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 22 included meals: 10 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 10 dinners including gala New Year's Eve dinner plus a welcome drink
- Overseas transfers, other transportation & porterage
- Visit the cliff-side Monastery of Montserrat
- Soak up stunning scenery on a journey along the Costa Brava's coastline
- See the work of Antoni Gaudi in Barcelona
- Step back in time in medieval Besalú & Girona
- Day 1 UK - Calella
- You'll fly to Barcelona today and on arrival we'll transfer you to your hotel in Calella on Spain's lovely Costa Brava. After time to settle into your room, join your fellow travellers for a welcome drink before dinner this evening.
- Day 2 Christmas Eve, Montserrat
- We will gain an insight into the local culture today with an included visit to Montserrat, a sacred mountain and Catalonia's religious heart. Here we'll step inside the famous cliff-side Monastery of Montserrat. The original building was destroyed during the War of Independence and the structure we see today dates back to 1844 and is inhabited by around 80 Benedictine monks. The monastery is home to the Montserrat Boys' Choir and a museum displaying works by El Greco and Picasso. At its heart is the statue of the Virgin of Montserrat, which is shrouded in legend. This evening we'll gather to enjoy a festive Christmas Eve dinner at the hotel, which includes wine.
- Day 3 Christmas Day, Calella
- It's Christmas Day, so enjoy a leisurely morning. Perhaps take a stroll into the delightful town of Calella to work up an appetite for a festive lunch. Spend the rest of the day at leisure and enjoy dinner at the hotel this evening.
- Day 4 Boxing Day, Costa Brava coastline
- We'll take a scenic drive along the Costa Brava's spectacular coastline this morning. So sit back, relax and soak up its scenic beauty. You can spend the rest of the day just as you wish, enjoying the facilities at your hotel or exploring Calella further with your travelling companions.
- Day 5 Barcelona
- Close to Calella is Barcelona and that's where we'll head today. During a full-day tour we'll discover so many of the highlights of this vibrant city, which displays the wonderful work of architect Antoni Gaudi. We'll see many fascinating museums, inviting squares and maze-like lanes, with stunning examples of Gaudi's work all around, not least the magnificent Sagrada Familia. This grand basilica is one of the most visited attractions in Barcelona and to see it at close quarters is quite breathtaking.
- Day 6 Besalú & Girona
- We'll head off on another day of sightseeing, starting in the medieval town of Girona, Catalonia's largest city. Located on the banks of the River Onyar, here we'll see its wonderfully preserved medieval Jewish quarter, ancient houses and winding cobbled streets enclosed by defensive walls.
Next we make our way to another quaint medieval town of Besalú, which we'll approach via a fortified bridge featuring a gateway at its mid-point. Amongst its maze of narrow streets we'll see the remains of a medieval synagogue and the town's restored Mikva. This is a ritual Jewish bath dating back to the 11th and 12th centuries and it's one of just three surviving in the whole of Europe.
- Day 7 Calella
- Today is free for you to spend just as you please. A short stroll away, the seafront is lined with bars, restaurants and cafés where you can relax with your travelling companions and take in the lovely views.
- Day 8 Tarragona
- You can spend a further day at leisure, relaxing at your hotel or exploring Calella. However, if you want to see more, you can choose to join an optional trip to the vibrant port city of Tarragona in the neighbouring Costa Dorada. Roman history comes roaring to life amongst its ancient architecture, which includes a seaside amphitheatre. A highlight of our tour is the wonderfully preserved UNESCO-listed Poblet Monastery, founded by Cistercian monks in the 12th century.
- Day 9 New Year's Eve, Figueres
- Spend more time at leisure today, or come with us on an optional trip to Figueres. This is the birthplace of artist Salvador Dali and home to his largest surrealist work, the Dali Theatre and Museum.
We'll be back at the hotel in time to get ready for this evening's festivities, a gala New Year's Eve dinner with wine included.
- Day 10 New Year's Day, Calella
- After a late night you'll probably want to spend a relaxing day at your hotel. We'll gather for a New Year's Day buffet lunch and this evening we'll enjoy a farewell get-together.
- Day 11 Calella - UK
- Today we'll transfer to the airport in Barcelona for our flight back to the UK.
- Les Palmeres Hotel
- The Hotel Les Palmeres is a 4-star hotel located just a few steps from the centre of Calella and just over 100 metres from the beach. The hotel is of a typical Mediterranean style, and is perfect for both relaxing and exploring.
There is small outdoor swimming pool with a poolside bar, roof terrace, indoor pool and hot tub. There is an onsite restaurant that serves a delicious breakfast buffet, and in the evening you can find both fresh Mediterranean and international cuisine, along with weekend themed dinners or gala dinner. In the evening you can relax in the lounge bar, and on some evenings you will be provided with entertainment. Guest bedrooms are comfortable, well –furnished and each have either a balcony or terrace. Bedrooms are equipped with private facilities and air conditioning.
Other hotel facilities include;
- Free Wi-Fi
- Air Conditioning
- Satellite TV
- 24 hour reception
- Towel service for the pool and the beach
- Explore Tarragona & Poblet Monastery
- Discover Figueres, the birthplace of artist Salvador Dali