Calabria Painting Week
- Duration: 8 days
- Board Basis: Mixed Board
- Tour Ref: D2TJUSSEITCAX
- Travel Type: Coach
Draw and paint your way around Calabria on this special departure hosted by professional artist Kasia Posen. She will help you to brush up on your techniques as you discover historic towns, ancient castles, impressive architecture and exceptional landscapes, which will inspire your art. From charcoal to watercolours, Kasia will help you to hone the skills you already have, and show you how to create amazing effects as you fill up your sketchbook.
Discover ancient castles, medieval towns and snow-capped peaks, which will give you all the inspiration you need as you draw and paint your way around Calabria.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Just You Tour Lecturer as your host & Specialist Local Guide
- Return flights from Stansted with Ryanair
- 7 nights in a 4-star hotel
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 dinners
- Welcome drink & farewell get-together
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Audio Guide
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Complimentary wi-fi on board your coach
- Tour of Grand Hotel San Michele grounds & tasting of local produce
- Visit the historic town of Belvedere
- Tour the hilltop town of Altomonte
- Explore the picturesque Sila Mountains
- Take inspiration from the murals of Diamante
- Hone your painting & drawing skills using different techniques
- Day 1 UK to Lamezia Terme
- You'll fly to Lamezia Terme today and we will transfer you to your hotel in Cetraro. Set in an enviable location, overlooking the coastline, it's the perfect place to relax, unwind and enjoy this picturesque region, which will be the subject of your paintings and drawings.
On arrival, meet your Tour Lecturer, artist Kasia Posen, who will join us on a stroll amongst the hotel's magnificent gardens. We'll stop to take in the views out to sea and visit the organic farm which produces most of the delicious food served at the hotel's restaurant. We'll also pause to sample the produce and admire the hotel's crowning glory - its vineyards.
Later, get together with your travelling companions and fellow artists as Kasia outlines the programme for the week ahead. We'll then enjoy a welcome drink together before dinner.
- Day 2 Cetraro
- After breakfast, join Kasia, who will introduce you to the materials you'll use during a morning of sketching. She will run through the different types of paper you might want to use and supply you with the appropriate graphite pencils or charcoal that will help you to perfectly capture your chosen subjects. You can look for inspiration in and around the hotel's lounge, which boasts a wonderful collection of objet d'art, or on the terrace, which offers lovely views over the Mediterranean. We'll then take a stroll into the nearby Lago area, to sketch the picturesque scenery in the morning light.
This afternoon, we'll head to the beach, which is just a short stroll away. Taking our equipment with us, we'll capture the dramatic rock formations here during an acrylic painting session. Kasia will show you how acrylics can be applied with brushes or painting knives, and mixed with water, gels and pastes to create amazing effects.
- Day 3 Belvedere
The historic streets of Belvedere are a short distance from our base in Cetraro and we'll head here after breakfast this morning. We'll enjoy a stroll through narrow streets up to its Norman castle, taking in views of ornate archways, ancient churches and Baroque balconies as we go. These sights will be our subjects during a morning of sketching with charcoal.
This afternoon we'll head to one of the town's viewpoints and change our medium, as we attempt to immortalise the beautiful landscape in watercolours. We'll then head back to the hotel, where we've time to get ready before we head to a restaurant for dinner.
- Day 4 Altomonte
- Today we'll head inland to Altomonte, a charming hilltop town which boasts glorious centuries-old architecture and many art treasures. As we explore we'll discover interesting textures and patterns amongst the buildings we see. Using pen and ink and loose colour wash techniques, we'll try to capture their composition and scale.
- Day 5 Cetraro's Old Town
- Today has been left free for you to spend as you wish. Relax at the hotel, explore the area further with your travelling companions or head off with your sketchbook.
Alternatively, why not join an optional excursion into Cetraro's Old Town, for a sightseeing tour and a visit to its museum, where you'll view archaeological finds from both land and sea.
- Day 6 Sila Mountains
Our included excursion today takes us into the Sila Mountains, which cover a vast area in the heart of Calabria. We'll encounter snow-capped peaks, crystal-clear streams and charming villages where time has seemingly stood still. The exceptional landscape of Sila National Park, where you can walk beneath sky-scraping trees in what is known as a 'forest of giants', is sure to inspire you to paint or draw. It's up to you what medium and technique you use today to capture these stunning surroundings.
- Day 7 Diamante
- With our sketchbooks at the ready, we're heading to the coastal town of Diamante today, where the cobbled lanes have been brought to life by colourful murals created by local artists. Their work and the charming stone buildings they adorn are sure to inspire you to create your own works of art on this day out.
- Day 8 Lamezia Terme to UK
- Today we'll transfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK.
- Grand Hotel San Michele
- The Grand Hotel San Michele is a wonderful 4-star family run hotel full of charming Mediterranean elegance. It is located close to the town of Cetraro nestled within the cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian Sea, with views spanning as far as the Aeolian Islands.
As well as being situated within the cliffs offering wonderful views, the hotel is surrounded by over 40 hectares of organic farm - home to the local produce provided. The farm at the San Michele is made up of three vineyards, orchards and a vegetable garden. The unique organic farm provides the hotel with fantastic daily produce including fruit, vegetables, milk, cheese, eggs, olive oil and home-made jams. The vineyards produce red, white and rosé wines along with a selection of homemade liquors such as Grappa. The hotel pride themselves on serving seasonal and fresh produce, as well as displaying wonderful seasonal flowers within the hotel.
Not only are you able to enjoy the local organic produce, you can also walk on the farm and surrounding woods for the chance to spot some of the wildlife. As well as exploring the farm and woods, you can also enjoy a game of golf on the 9-hole golf course. If you prefer, you can relax on the private beach or sip a local glass of wine on the terrace. Hotel facilities also include a swimming pool, two restaurants and a piano bar. There are around 60 bedrooms, each with its own individual charm and private facilities, air-conditioning and TV.
- 2 restaurants
- Three large terraces
- Swimming pool
- Golf course
- Private beach
- Private facilities
- Tour of Cetraro's Old Town & museum visit