Budapest To Strasbourg
History, tradition and culture come together on this 13-day cruise which calls at some of Europe's finest cities. A huge choice of optional shore excursions give you the chance to explore highlights including medieval towns, fascinating museums, historic abbeys and ancient churches. Ports of call include Hungary's capital Budapest, divided by the Danube, and Austria's elegant capital Vienna. In Germany you can step ashore in a host of historic cities, including Regensburg, Nürnberg and Frankfurt, before arrival in Strasbourg, passing through two of the Rhine's biggest locks – the Iffezheim and Gambsheim – en route.
History, tradition and culture come together on this cruise, where calls at iconic cities including Budapest, Vienna and Strasbourg, introduce you to ancient abbeys, fascinating museums and elaborate palaces.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
- Return flights from Stansted with Ryanair
- 12 nights all inclusive on board 4-star ship MS Victor Hugo
- 35 meals: 12 breakfasts, 11 lunches, 12 dinners featuring local specialities & all drinks (excluding Champagne and selected wines)
- Just You Tour Manager as your host
- Specialist Local Guide
- Captain's welcome cocktail reception
- Farewell gala dinner
- Overseas transfers & other transportation
- Dedicated Just You representative to greet you at all UK airports
- Onboard entertainment
- Complimentary wi-fi on board
- A full programme of optional shore excursions
- Day 1 UK to Budapest
- Today you will fly to Budapest, where you will embark your river cruiser. Once you've settled into your cabin, you are invited to a welcome drink with your travelling companions and a presentation by the ship's crew.
After dinner tonight, you have the chance to attend an optional folklore show in the city.
- Day 2 Budapest
- After breakfast on board, why not step ashore and explore Budapest, Hungary’s capital, which straddles the River Danube. Our optional tour will introduce you to both Buda and Pest, two separate cities that were physically joined when the Chain Bridge was built across the Danube in 1849. In Buda, we'll make our way to the Castle quarter to enjoy wonderful panoramic views of the city. You’ll also see the Matthias Church, the oldest in the city, which was founded in 1015 by Saint Stephen. Next, we'll head to Pest, dominated by its fine parliament building and Heroes Square.
We’ll rejoin the ship in Esztergom, where you can enjoy lunch on board before heading into the city to explore at your own pace. This evening we set sail for Vienna.
- Day 3 Vienna
- Today we arrive in Austria's elegant capital, Vienna. Why not join our optional excursion to the Hofburg Palace, the winter residency of the Hapsburgs and for many centuries the centre of the Hapsburg empire. We'll also visit the Sissi Museum in the Imperial Apartments.
Head back to the ship for dinner, after which you can choose to discover Vienna's beauty by night. This panoramic coach tour will take in highlights such as the famous Ringstrasse and the Schwarzenbergplatz, where there is a monument to Johann Strauss. We'll also take a walk around the Albertina quarter to see the Hofburg Palace, which will be beautifully illuminated.
- Day 4 Vienna
- On our optional tour of Vienna today, you have the chance to step inside the Schönbrunn Palace, an architectural masterpiece which was built in the late 17th century to rival Versailles. After returning to the ship for lunch, there's time to head back into Vienna to make your own discoveries.
- Day 5 Melk
- Enjoy lovely views of the vine-clad slopes, churches and castles of the Wachau Valley, as we set sail for Melk. En route we'll stop at picturesque Dürnstein, where highlights include the ruins of a fortified castle said to have once been the prison of King Richard the Lionheart. This charming little town also boasts a host of well-preserved medieval and Baroque buildings.
On arrival in Melk this afternoon, you can join an optional tour of its famous abbey. The town has been a spiritual centre for more than 1,000 years since Margrave Leopold I made Melk castle his residence in the 10th century. In the 11th century, the castle was given to Benedictine monks who transformed it into the abbey you can see today.
- Day 6 Passau
- This morning we find ourselves in the Eastern Bavarian city of Passau, where three rivers - the Danube, Inn and Ilz - meet. An included tour takes in the Old Town, home to St Stephen's Cathedral, which houses the world's largest church organ. We'll be back on board the ship to enjoy lunch as we cruise on to Regensburg.
- Day 7 Regensburg
- Regensburg is a wonderfully preserved medieval city, and we arrive here this morning. Discover its highlights, including a 12th century bridge spanning the River Danube and an historical centre boasting nearly 1,000 listed buildings, on an optional guided tour.
You'll re-join the ship in Kelheim, then sail on the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal to Hilpostein.
- Day 8 Nürnberg & Bamberg
- Today you can step ashore in Nürnberg for an optional guided tour. The city's medieval heart is located within ramparts dating from the 15th century, and it is renowned as the site of the famous war trials. Back on board, take in splendid views as you enjoy lunch and cruise to Bamberg.
- Day 9 Rothenburg
- Rothenburg, located on the German Romantic Road, is today's port of call. This well-preserved walled town perched high on a hill is a delight to explore, from its 15th century ramparts to its market square and Town Hall. It is also home to traditional half-timbered houses, craft stores and many museums with themes ranging from torture, in the Medieval Crime and Punishment Museum, to dolls and toys, which you will visit on todays optional excursion.
- Day 10 Wurzburg
- Enjoy an optional tour of Wurzburg today. Situated on the right bank of the Main, the town boasts some of the grandest architecture in Germany and is surrounded by the acclaimed vineyards of the Franconia region. It's also home to the breathtaking Wurzburg Residence – perhaps Europe's finest Baroque palace. Spend the afternoon relaxing and enjoying the ship's facilities as we cruise to Miltenburg.
- Day 11 Miltenberg
- Miltenberg is an ancient walled town nestled on a slope beneath a fine castle. Step ashore to enjoy a guided tour to see delightful half-timbered houses. Other highlights include the Old Market Place, home to an ornate Renaissance fountain, and the twin towers of St Jakobus Church. Afterwards, why not step inside the Weinhause, a 500-year-old inn, to sample a local beer or glass of wine.
- Day 12 Frankfurt & Mainz
- Today we'll arrive in Frankfurt, where an optional tour will reveal a dynamic city boasting Germany's most imposing skyline. As well as modern skyscrapers, in the heart of the city you'll find cosy pubs and many museums featuring works which span nine centuries of European art. As you stroll, you'll see the cathedral and the Römerberg, the seat of the city's government since the 15th century.
This afternoon we'll cruise to the historic university town of Mainz, the birthplace of Johann Gutenberg, who invented the printing press. You can choose to explore with an expert Local Guide before returning to the ship. If you want to get dressed up, tonight's farewell gala dinner gives you the perfect opportunity.
- Day 13 Strasbourg to UK
- Spend a relaxing morning on board the ship as we sail to Strasbourg, passing through two of the Rhine's biggest locks, the Iffezheim and Gambsheim, en route. We'll disembark after lunch, when we'll transfer to Strasbourg or Basel airport for our flight back to the UK.
- MS Victor Hugo
- Traditional Hungarian folklore evening
- Guided tour of Budapest
- Vienna by night
- Hofburg Palace
- Vienna & the spectacular Schonbrunn Palace
- Guided tour of Melk Abbey
- Visit Dürnstein, with its famous castle
- Medieval Regensburg
- See the medieval heart of Nürnberg
- Explore the charming town of Rothenberg
- Wurzburg, including the Residence Palace
- Panoramic tour of bustling Frankfurt
The above optional Explorer excursion package can be pre booked from £435 per person