The Italian Lakes, Based At Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore is situated in the north west of Italy and crosses the border into Switzerland. The resort of Stresa is an ideal location on the shores of the Barromean Gulf. Once a tiny fishing village, Stresa is now a bustling and vibrant town with a good selection of cafes, traditional souvenir shops and boutiques.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
Day 1: Your Door to Door service will transfer you to the airport for your flight to Milan. On arrival our local coach will transfer us to the Hotel Milan Speranza Au Lac, our base for the next 7 nights.
During our stay, the following excursions are included:
- A morning guided tour of Stresa, which is sprinkled with villas, grand hotels and parks and has a beautiful lakeside promenade with magnificent views over the lake.
- The Franciacorta wine area for a visit to the gardens of Quistini Castle.
A 16th century residence, particularly famous for its enchanting and romantic park which offers more than 500 varieties of roses, hidden green corners and a secret hydrangea garden.
- Stunning Villa Visconti Borromeo Litta, known for its monumental nymphaeum and a series of symmetrically located rooms where the art collection of the family was displayed to welcome their guests.
- Boat ride to the Barromean Islands with admission to the Palace. The monumental Baroque Palace gardens contain many rare and exotic plants and the spectacular blossoming is planned to ensure that it is filled with colours and scents from March to October.
- Scenic drive into Switzerland to the town of Lugano which lies on the northern side of Lake Lugano and is surrounded by mountains offering splendid viewpoints. We also visit Locarno, where we will have plenty of free time to wander the narrow lanes of the Old Town which all lead to the Piazza Grande. The 12th century castle and the Church of Madonna del Sasso are two of the many sights the town has to offer visitors.
- Excursion to Lake Orta, the lake that most tourists have not yet discovered. The stunningly beautiful views of the lake, with the glistening silver blue of the water contrasting with the backdrop of mountains, gives the place an eerie silence which is both relaxing and enchanting.
- The town of Arona which enjoys a lovely climate and faces the splendid Lake Maggiore. It is also known for the San Carlone statue, second only in size to the Statue of Liberty in New York.
- 1 full and 2 half days at leisure.
Day 8: Today we leave Stresa, our local coach will transfer us to the airport for our return flight back to the UK and your Door to Door service home.
Hotel Milan Speranza Au Lac
The Hotel Milan Speranza Au Lac comprises of two buildings which are located side by side in the centre of Stresa, close to the boat landing stage and shopping area. It has a superb position overlooking the lake, the Borromean Islands and the Alps. Rooms are en-suite, have air-conditioning, Satellite TV, safe, hairdryer and Wi-Fi.Back to top