Rocky Mountain Rail Adventure
- Duration: 12 days
- Board Basis: Mixed Board
- Tour Ref: D2TELL8118
- Travel Type: Air
This holiday will take us on a variety of trains through the superb scenery of the Rocky Mountains. Three of the trains will be hauled by steam engines climbing as high as 10,000ft and we also travel on the highest cog railway in the world. Away from the trains, we visit the Rocky Mountain, Mesa Verde and Great Sand Dune National Parks.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
Day 1: Your Door to Door service will transfer you to London for our flight to Denver. On arrival, we will be welcomed by our US Tour Manager and local coach for the transfer to our overnight hotel.
During our holiday, the following excursions will be included:
- The Colorado Railroad Museum on the outskirts of Denver. Here we learn about the history of some of the railways we will visit over the next week or so. The exhibits include several locomotives and historic carriages together with indoor galleries.
- The Georgetown Loop, a 3 mile restored section of the former narrow gauge railway from Denver to Idaho Springs. We find steep gradients, the Devil’s Gate High Bridge and splendid scenery. We travel from Georgetown to Silver Plume then by coach across the Continental Divide at the Hoosier Pass (11,500ft) towards Colorado Springs.
- The Pikes Peak Railway, high into the Rocky Mountains. This rack (or cog) railway climbs for 8.9 miles from Manitou Springs to reach the top of the mountain at over 14,000 feet. It is the highest railway in North America and the highest rack railway in the world.
- The Garden of the Gods, a registered National Natural Landmark for a guided tour of the park with its 300ft towering sandstone rock formations with free time in the visitor and nature centre.
- Canon City to board a tourist train through the Royal Gorge. The two hour return trip takes us along the banks of the Arkansas River into the gorge where sheer rock cliffs rise over 1000ft above the river. This is regarded as one of the most scenic rail journeys in North America.
- The Great Sand Dunes National Park where we find the highest sand dunes on the continent, rising to over 750ft above the San Luis Valley and covering an area of 30 square miles.
- A full day trip on the Cumbres and Toltec Railroad America’s highest and longest coal-fired, steam-operated, narrow-gauge railroad. It is a 64 mile stretch of the original Denver and Rio Grande Railway. Stop at Osier station for a full lunch and then complete the climb to the top of the Cumbres Pass which, at over 10,000ft, is the highest mountain pass reached by rail in the United States.
- Visit the Mesa Verde National Park by coach. A plateau at over 8,000 feet, it offers a spectacular look into the lives of the Ancestral Pueblo people who made it their home for over 700 years, from A.D. 600. Today the park protects nearly 5,000 known archaeological sites, including 600 cliff dwellings. These sites are some of the most notable and best preserved in the United States.
- Ride the Durango and Silverton Railroad, a steam hauled narrow gauge railway which travels for 45 miles along the banks of the Animas River surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. Part of the route is along the rim of a gorge high above the river. After 3.5 hours we reach the former mining town of Silverton which has retained its Wild West atmosphere.
- Drive on the Million Dollar Highway over the 11,000ft Red Mountain Pass before descending to Ouray another old mining town surrounded by towering mountains. Most of the 19th century buildings have been preserved and are now mainly cafes and tourist shops.
- The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park - Colarado’s version of the Grand Canyon.
- Travel through the spectacular landscape of the Colorado National Monument on one of the grandest scenic drives in the American West, the 23-mile Rim Rock Drive which offers red rock canyons, crisp blue skies and glorious views along the way. See pinyon pine and juniper trees and you may spy Hopi chipmunks, rock squirrels, golden eagles and desert bighorn sheep.
- Colorado Wine Country for a tour of the vineyards followed by a ‘Winemaker’s dinner’.
- The famous California Zephyr train travels almost 2,500 miles from San Francisco to Chicago. Join it for the most scenic section of the whole route - the 273 miles from Grand Junction through the Rocky Mountains to Denver. Climb to the 6.2 miles Moffat Tunnel at over 9,000ft and from there descend through a succession of tunnels and sweeping curves to reach Denver. An 8 hour journey with refreshment and dining facilities available.
- Follow the Trail Ridge Road as we drive through the Rocky Mountain National Park’s 415 square miles which encompass and protect this spectacular mountain environment. The Trail Ridge Road rises to over 12,000 feet and is the highest continuous paved road in the USA. It includes many viewing points which allow us to experience this subalpine and alpine world.
- City tour of Denver. The Red Rocks Park from where there is a great view over the city. Travel through the quiet tree-lined streets of Denver’s residential neighbourhoods and journey back to the 19th century. Witness the elegance of historic Larimer Square and the Victorian mansions of ‘unsinkable Molly Brown’ and others.
Day 11: Free time in Denver before we transfer to the airport for our flight back to the UK.
Day 12: On arrival your local operator will be waiting to meet you for your Door to Door service home.
- Door to Door Service
- Airport transfers at the destinations
- Return flights
- All airport transfers and coach tours as mentioned in the itinerary
- 3 nights accommodation at the Doubletree by Hilton, Denver Stapleton North
- 2 nights accommodation at the Hyatt Palace, Colorado Springs
- 1 nights accommodation at the Holiday Inn Express, Alamosa
- 2 nights accommodation at the Best Western Rio Grande Inn, Durango
- 2 nights accommodation at the Doubletree by Hilton, Grand Junction
- Daily breakfast
- 8 dinners & 1 lunch (plus airline meals)
- All entrance & National Park fees, where applicable
- Train fares on the mentioned services
- Services of a U.S Cito Tour Manager throughout
- All taxes and baggage handling
- Driver and guide gratuities
Please Note - train services are subject to change due to seasonal timetables.
Single room supplement £670Back to top