Puglia, Italy's Hidden Gem
The ‘heel’ of Italy is a land of memorable coastal and hilltop towns, picturesque seascapes, olive groves and limestone precipices. We explore this fascinating area from our base in Martina Franca, a small town in the very heart of Puglia. The town has a lovely historic centre and a maze of winding alleys where whitewashed simplicity sits side by side with Baroque extravagance.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
Day 1: Your Door to Door service will transfer you to the airport for your flight to Italy. A local coach will transfer us to the Park Hotel San Michele, Martina Franca, our base for the next 7 nights.
During our stay, the following excursions are included:
- Scenic coach tour through the southern Italian countryside to visit Ostuni, ‘La Citta Blanca’. Rising high above the vast olive carpeted plateau of the lower Murgia, Ostuni has long been an awe-inspiring sight for those travelling across Puglia.
- Alberobello, famous for its collection of Trullo, traditional dry-stone conical roofed dwellings which are only found in the Itria Valley. Alberobello has the largest collection of original buildings, many of which are still occupied today.
- Lecce, nicknamed ‘Florence of the south’. Built in local soft creamy limestone with dazzling architectural surprises around every corner, Lecce is a minor Baroque masterpiece and its spider web of streets offers a range of vistas.
- Otranto, one of Puglia’s most charming towns. The imposing castle, thick perimeter walls and robust towers dominate much of the town, giving way to a small port, a series of sea fronted promenades with excellent restaurants, sandy beaches and turquoise waters.
- Trani, an instantly recognisable landmark for sailors navigating the Adriatic Sea over the centuries. Trani’s iconic seafront cathedral is one of the finest in Italy. The old town centre is a charming medieval network of streets with plenty of fine architecture arranged around the picturesque fishing port.
- Scenic coach tour to Matera, a town renowned for its cave-dwellings carved into the canyon. The cave-houses, or Sassi, where families once lived are now coming back to life as hotels, museums and restaurants. Please note, this excursion may not be suitable to persons with walking difficulties.
- 2 free full days to explore further at your own pace.
Day 8: Today we leave Puglia, our local coach will transfer us to the airport for our return flight back to the UK and your Door to Door service home.
Park Hotel San Michele, Martina Franca
From a traditional farmhouse dating back to 1600 to a magnificent villa in the early 1900s, it is now a modern hotel in a superb location. Close to the centre of Martina Franca and the Old Town, the hotel also offers clients a delightful pool garden area ideal for relaxing and unwinding. All the rooms are en-suite with
air-conditioning, mini-bar, free Wi-Fi, satellite TV, hairdryer and telephone.Back to top