Lakes & Mountains Of Central Switzerland
This tour follows our established Swiss theme of using trains, lake steamers, mountain railways, cable cars and buses to explore this beautiful region from our base on the shore of Lake Lucerne.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
Day 1: Your Door to Door service will transfer you to Luton Airport for a lunchtime flight to Zurich. From here we will travel by coach to our base for the next 9 nights, the Seehotel Pilatus in the village of Hergiswil.
Days 2-9: Everyone will have a Tell Pass which provides unlimited access to all the public transport in the area throughout the holiday. Excursions will be arranged on seven days with destinations including:
- Cruise the full length of the lake from Fluelen to Lucerne. The trip takes just under 3 hours during which the steamer calls at several attractive lakeside villages.
- Train journey to the resort of Engelberg at the base of Mount Titlis. We climb the mountain firstly by gondola and then by a rotating cable car to reach the summit at 10,500ft.
- Boat to Vitznau to connect onto the world’s oldest rack railway to climb to the summit station on Mount Rigi. We descend by another rack railway on the other side of the mountain to Arth-Goldau and then back by train via Lucerne to Hergiswil.
- Train from Lucerne to Goeschenenvia the scenic northern section of the original Gotthard railway. Change onto a rack railway to ascend the Schollenen Gorge to the small town of Andermatt. There will be free time here and also the opportunity to travel by two stage cable car to Gemsstockor to travel on a section of the Glacier Express route.
- A local tour to the Stanserhorn. The town of Stans is just a few minutes from Hergiswil and from here we travel by a historic funicular and then a new ‘Cabrio’ cable car to the top of the mountain.
We then visit the resort of Burgenstockand the Hammetschwand Lift
- By train over the Brunig Pass to the lakeside town of Brienz. From here we ascend by rack railway to the BrienzerRothorn from where there are great views to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains. Return by cable car and bus
- An ascent of Mount Pilatus on the steepest funicular railway in the world. From the 7000ft summit there are amazing views to the surrounding mountains and down onto the lake. (Half day)
- 1 free afternoon and 1 free day.The Tell Passes will still be valid so it will be possible for everyone to do as little or as much as they want. The opportunities are endless!
Day 10: We travel by coach back to Zurich Airport for our flight back to the UK. On arrival into Luton, we meet your Door to Door service to home.
Seehotel Pilatus, Hergiswil
With the lake in front and towering Mount Pilatus behind, this family owned hotel is an ideal base from which to explore the Lake Lucerne area. All rooms have en-suite facilities, free Wi-Fi.British TV channels and a safe. There is a lakeside terrace and an indoor pool.Back to top