The Great Glen & Jacobite Steam Train
7 Day - Tour No AB8010
Highlight of this tour is the ride on the Jacobite Steam train, taking you through some breath-taking scenery and described as one of the great railway journeys of the world.
PLEASE NOTE: Price is per person and based on two people sharing a twin/double room. Single room supplements and upgrades are not included.
Included in CostIncluded in Cost
● Coach travel
● 6 nights dinner, bed & breakfast
● one way journey on Jacobite train
● Loch Ness cruise
● an hour wildlife cruise
● entrance to Urquhart Castle and grounds
ItineraryPortree © VisitScotland/Paul Tomkins
Day 1 Morning departure for the journey to the north of England for an overnight stay.
Day 2 Continue on up into Scotland by way of Moffat, Stirling and Callander to reach the Fort William area and the hotel on Loch Linnhe for a four night stay.
Days 3 to 5 During your stay we have included the following excursions:
● You will travel on one of the most scenic road journeys in the UK along the Great Glen to Fort Augustus at the head of Loch Ness. Afterwards make a stop at the Clansman Marina for a cruise on the Loch stopping at Urquhart Castle. Discover 1,000 years of drama, experience a glimpse of medieval life and enjoy stunning views over Loch Ness from the ruins of the greatest castle in the Highlands, before returning to Inverness, the capital of the highlands for some free time.
● Today travel further into the highlands past the Cluanie Dam to the Kyle of Lochalsh and over the bridge to Skye, travelling north to Portree, set round a natural harbour and fringed by high ground and cliffs. Time for lunch and explore some of the quaint narrow streets. Retracing your steps stopping at Spean Bridge to visit the Commando Monument which overlooks the Great Glen which forms part of their training ground.
● A special day awaits where you will join the Jacobite steam train on a one way journey between Fort William and Mallaig, a most scenic railway journey. From Mallaig we have included a one hour wildlife cruise with possible sightings of whales, dolphins and more. Time for lunch before joining the coach to take you to Glenfinnan for a closer look at the spot where Bonnie Prince Charlie raised his banner to gather the Highlanders in readiness for the forthcoming battle at Culloden. Continuing over the 21 arched viaduct, as seen in the Harry Potter films, and passing Loch Morar before arriving back at the hotel.
Day 6 Depart for the return journey south and your overnight stay.
Day 7 Breakfast, then commence the homeward journey.
ImageJacobite Train - visitscotland/Kenny Lam
ImageLoch Ness - copyright Robin Drayton
ImageUrquhart Castle - vistiscotland.com
Hosted ServiceBack to top