There is something about Christmas markets that will attract you towards them. Who hates the festive season where you can hear the joyful Christmas carols in the background and have a look at beautiful stalls selling traditional crafts? If you love the beautiful glittering fairy lights and want to enhance your Christmas experience, have a look at the following Christmas markets by coach:
Did you know that Birmingham is the first British city to embrace a German style Christmas market? Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market departure in the month of November and December and the German market is known to be the largest one outside Austria and Germany. You would be surprised to know that the market has around 180 stalls, where most of the local artisans sell handmade stuff.
France is the place to be during the Christmas season. You can avail this opportunity to roam around Paris and have explore Reims that is a historic city with more than 100 stalls around the Cathedral, where you will be able to find a lot of French delicacies. You will be surprised to know that France is also home to the Alsace market that is the oldest Christmas market and is currently in its 433rd year.
Luxembourg & Trier
The Christmas markets at Luxemburg and Trier are not well known to the people, but it is the perfect opportunity to explore the region and do shopping.
The Manchester Christmas Market is the best and also go shopping to the Cheshire Oaks region. You should know that At Ann’s Square and Albert Square had more than 300 stalls that display things like food, wine, decorative items, wooden toys, pottery, and jewellery. If you want to avail huge discounts during the festival season, make sure that you check out Cheshire Oaks, one of Europe’s biggest designer outlet complexes.
Pay a visit to Portsmouth’s historic dockyard if you want to experience how Christmas is celebrated in a Victorian manner. The Christmas market consists of several stalls and lively entertainment. You should know that you can also set out to explore Southampton and Winchester.
Rhine & Moselle
If you want to enjoy a festive weekend, you should check out the Christmas markets of the region. The area usually has more than 100 stalls that offer an extensive range of handmade goods, Christmas decorations and other gifts. The market also includes a visit to the ‘Wiesbaden Twinkling Star Christmas Market’.
It is important you know that the country has some of the best European Christmas markets that you can explore. The Valkenburg Christmas Market is a place that you can visit on the weekends while enjoying the side shows. The stalls in this region are places along an 18th century chapel, so make sure you wander around in the area, in order to have a look at the best seasonal attractions because you will fall in love with the music, wine, and gingerbread.
The West Country
This runs from late November till December and a large part of the area is covered with stalls. The trip is based at the Express by Holiday Inn at Swindon and you can also pay a visit to Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water.
Yorkshire is another destination that you should check out. Don’t forget to visit the Castle Howard that was made in the 18th century, where the rooms are beautifully decorated with candles, Christmas tree and other traditional decorations. When in the area, don’t forget to the beautiful villages of Grassington and Skipton that lie in the Yorkshire Dales and is a place that celebrate Christmas by decorating the place with stilt walkers, lights, jugglers, handbell ringers, and bands.
Germany is home to many markets that you will be spoilt for choice. Here are some of the most famous markets of the country:
The city of cologne has eight Christmas markets, out of which four are pretty huge and are located on the Rudolfplatz, on the Neumarkt, on the Alter Markt, and near the Cologne Cathedral. You would be surprised to know that these markets receive more than 2 million visitors every year. If you are short of time, you should head straight up the Christmas Market at the Cologne Cathedral as it is really impressive.
Freiburg is a beautiful town that has an impressive Christmas market that is held on the Rathausplatz, the Unterlindenplatz, the Kartoffelmarkt, and the Franziskanerstrasse.
Rüdesheim am Rhein
This quite little town of Germany has a great Christmas nmarket taht has over 100 stalls which represents 12 countries and different Christmas traditions from around the world. You should also pay a visit to the “Wiesbaden Twinkling Star Christmas Market”.
Explore the Scottish capital that is famous for hosting a German Christmas Market and a traditional Highland Village Market. The place had Stallholders from Frankfurt that serve amazing German food like potato cakes and bratwurst that you are supposed to have with Gluhwein and beer. There is also the Real Scottish Fair that offers amazing food and accessories. If you have time, make sure you visit the Trossachs, Loch Lomond, and the Royal Yacht Britannia.
Other Christmas Markets
Some of the other Christmas markets that you can check out include:
- AWBS Craft & Gift Fayre at Royal Holloway
- Bath Christmas Market
- Belfast Christmas Market
- Belgravia Christmas Sunday, London SW1
- Blenheim Palace – Living Crafts for Christmas Fair Skipton Christmas Market
- Botleigh Grange Hotel & Spa Christmas Fair
- Bristol Christmas Markets
- Brixham Christmas Market
- Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre
- Cardiff Christmas Market
- Cheltenham Christmas Market
- Chester Christmas Market
- Chichester Christmas Market
- Christmas Fair in Sussex at The Amex Stadium in Brighton
- Christmas Market at Tate Modern, London
- Deepdale Christmas Market, North Norfolk Coast
- Durham City Christmas Festival
- Edinburgh Christmas Market
- Exeter Christmas Market
- Glasgow Christmas Continental Market
- Gloucester Quays Victorian Christmas Market
- Grassington Dickensian Festival (Saturdays Only)
- Hampshire Christmas Markets
- Harrogate Christmas Market
- Hestercombe Gardens Christmas Market
- Ipswich Christmas Market
- Kelham Island Museum 23rd Victorian Christmas Market
- Knaresborough Edwardian Christmas Market
- Leeds Christkindelmarkt Traditional German Christmas Market
- Lincoln Christmas Markets
- Liverpool Christmas Market
- Llandudno Christmas Fayre
- Manchester Christmas Markets
- Newcastle Continental Christmas Market
- Nottingham Christmas Market & Ice Rink Winter Wonderland
- Oxford Christmas Market
- Petworth House Christmas Fair
- Redbourn Christmas Market
- Rochester Christmas Market
- Salisbury Christmas Market
- St Albans Christmas Market
- The Windsor Christmas Gift Fair
- Ulverston Dickensian Christmas Festival
- Winter Fair Ardingly W.Sussex
- Worcester Victorian Christmas Fayre
- Wrexham Victorian Christmas Market
- York Christmas Markets